Quantcast

proper spring weight?

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
im getting my bike ready for the season and finally decided to actually set up my suspension correctly. i have been riding the same bike since 2005 (05' Stinky) and have never done anything to set up my fork or shock correctly. I have a DHX3 that im sending off to Push and i figure this is a great time to get a proper spring weight. I weigh 175 all geared up and cannot get 20% sag with the 550lbs spring i have. so what spring should i get? 400? 450? 300? i really have no clue when it comes to figuring this out.

Patrick

InsaNeil

Chimp
Mar 10, 2010
It's a complicated question because different frames have different travel paths and different rates of compression. Some can be linear while others are more progressive rates too. Beyond that, 20-30% is just a vague recommended starting point and personal preference and riding style are big factors after that. This is all why manufacturers are so reluctant to give recommended spring weights relative to rider weights. Push takes all of those factors into consideration though, so that would be your best place to ask, especially because they are already doing work on it. Beyond that all I can say is trial and error which I know isn't a great answer, but I bet you could get it right on your first time. Try the 450, that's a little over 20% softer than the one you have. Any more might be too much.