Quantcast

Proposed smirking ban raises eyebrows

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Wed Apr 9, 5:22 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A raised eyebrow, loud guffaw, smirk or other facial expressions could all be banned in future political debate under new rules proposed for the city council in Palo Alto, California.

In a bid to improve civility in the town's public discourse, a committee on the city council has spent hours debating guidelines for its own behaviour.

"Do not use body language or other nonverbal methods of expression, disagreement or disgust," a new list of proposed conduct rules reads.

Another rule calls for council members to address each other with titles followed by last names, a formality not always practised in laid-back California.

"I don't want to muzzle my colleagues," councilwoman Judy Kleinberg, who headed the committee that drafted the rules, told the San Jose Mercury News. But, she added: "I don't think the people sitting around the cabinet with the president roll their eyes."

:eek: :rolleyes: :angry:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Spud
Wed Apr 9, 5:22 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A raised eyebrow, loud guffaw, smirk or other facial expressions could all be banned in future political debate under new rules proposed for the city council in Palo Alto, California.

In a bid to improve civility in the town's public discourse, a committee on the city council has spent hours debating guidelines for its own behaviour.

"Do not use body language or other nonverbal methods of expression, disagreement or disgust," a new list of proposed conduct rules reads.

Another rule calls for council members to address each other with titles followed by last names, a formality not always practised in laid-back California.

"I don't want to muzzle my colleagues," councilwoman Judy Kleinberg, who headed the committee that drafted the rules, told the San Jose Mercury News. But, she added: "I don't think the people sitting around the cabinet with the president roll their eyes."

:eek: :rolleyes: :angry:
:rolleyes:
Oh great.... Ever heard of freedom of (facial)expression? ;)

kghoscht

Chimp
Oct 17, 2001
Somewhere in Time
Isn't Thailand's parliament kinda famous for it's brawls? I've seen some things on the news about some of their "animated discussions" over various and sundry policy decisions.

Heh, but what do you expect from a country who's national sport is Muay-Thai Boxing! :eek:

I wish North America would take a lesson from them, although it might give goofs like Jesse "The Governing Body" Ventura a bit of an edge, heh.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
as long as i can still clutch the pearls & snap in Z-formation, i don't have a beef with this.

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
I visited San Fran a few years back...beautiful city with an interesting history. Now if we could just find a way to get rid of all the morons that live there and repopulate it with logical rational folks it would be even better....