Quantcast

Proto Crank Brothers Mallets...

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Ah nice one. Guess they're not out in the UK yet. Hopefully they sort the reliability issues out. I've just changed to clips and am most comfortable with crank brothers system, feels really natural.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
They have been testing those on the world cup circuit this past season. Supposedly, they are a DH version of the Mallet. I always thought the Mallets were already supposed to be a DH pedal, though, so that statement didn't really make sense to me.

I really wish they would hire an engineer to work on their reliability. I love the way the pedals work,and had great luck with them for years, except this year I've gone through several pairs of Mallets in a season, sent a few back for warranty, was told that snapping spindles was not a defect in design or manufacturing, and one pair of repaired pedals still has the axial play problem that they were supposed to fix. Sigh.
Hopefully these new ones have improved reliability.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
They have been testing those on the world cup circuit this past season. Supposedly, they are a DH version of the Mallet. I always thought the Mallets were already supposed to be a DH pedal, though, so that statement didn't really make sense to me.

I really wish they would hire an engineer to work on their reliability. I love the way the pedals work,and had great luck with them for years, except this year I've gone through several pairs of Mallets in a season, sent a few back for warranty, was told that snapping spindles was not a defect in design or manufacturing, and one pair of repaired pedals still has the axial play problem that they were supposed to fix. Sigh.
or just get times

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Shrimp
Hedgehog
Ivey
Masterbate
Aggressive
Nunchucks
Orville

Above is a puzzle and if you can solve it, it will fix all the problems that you have had with your mallets.
I wish they would come out with a newer version of the old 636's. Maybe a cross between the current Trail style pedals and the current DX's. I love mallets when they work, but the reliability sucks. I think theres definitely something to be said about Mallets for DH, there are a bunch of the top Shimano guys that use Mallets for DH, Gwin and Gee both come to mind. I'm sure shimano would much rather have them using their pedals to complete the whole kit but they're gonna run whatever they think they can win with and it happens to be Mallets.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh SNAP!

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wish they would come out with a newer version of the old 636's. Maybe a cross between the current Trail style pedals and the current DX's.
The trail pedals are not great IMO. I've had a few pairs, and it's not that they are "bad", but there are some pretty big drawbacks. One is there's no angled mechanism to clip into, as with the 545s and 646s. That mechanism makes getting into those pedals VERY easy, especially on the move. The fact that there's the pedal platform in the way makes it harder too, as it doesn't flip around as easy as with say a 540. The platform on the trail pedals is small enough that it doesn't really make a huge difference either. They look cool, and the mechanisms are obviously solid, but I've not been impressed by them, they seem like a fad.

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
Do you know about the pedal upgrade at Crank BRos.?
Send ANY clipless pedal in for a new set of CB pedals, mallet 3 included.
Dig in that bike box of death and find those relics!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Do you know about the pedal upgrade at Crank BRos.?
Send ANY clipless pedal in for a new set of CB pedals, mallet 3 included.
Dig in that bike box of death and find those relics!
That does sound awesome. Truth be told, I was one the those guys that ran CB pedals for a while without ANY issues. I thought everybody else was full of crap, then luck caught up with me and they all started killing themselves like Jim Jones just handed them a cup. I would give them another shot if they replaced my corpses. :D