Quantcast

Prototype Santa Cruz Syndicate V10

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Yeah see thats the thing. While I can appreciate that yes there is more oil in that longer shock body, its not a whole lot more, and it seems to me that if the leverage issue was a problem, it would have been addressed in the previous model, since the shock has been 8.75 for a fair while now, since the start really. I think al-irl has it right in that this isn't really a performance gain, so much as a marketing ploy.

Still, its not like thats much different from every other company out there these days, so i suppose its hard to fault them.

how much more oil is it? how much more physical volume is there of oil in a 3" stroke shock over the 2.75...? does anyone actually know?

it might be a bottle cap more oil but relative to the overall volume in percentage increased, it may make a difference. let's just say it's only 10% more oil... i just pulled that number out of my anus, i dont really know. 10% more oil will take a bit longer to get hot, fade, and turn to poop on a long, rough world cup course. 10% more oil to work with on the inside can make the damping circuits that much more effective in doing their job.

that might add up to saving a few seconds over the race season- which if the cumulative tallies run in dirt a couple issues back were any indication, could have made a difference in the overalls.

i'm not saying that opinion is wrong, it's just not completely right.

this is a performance update for the bike for those top guys.

if it were made available to the regular joes to purchase, it wouldnt matter much to us and in that case it would be a marketing ploy.

you've read it. you can't un-read it.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
1/4" of stroke but also a fair bit more oil volume from the 3/4" longer body... wondering if they were getting fade under WC level use.
Interesting thought. I would like to sneak some heat sensitive tape stips on the shock body to see how much more heat they develop than the average joe.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
haromtnbiker - I think it's partially to do with being leant against the stand, and don't forget it sags a lot also. That said, they are statically a lot higher than say your sunday, and thanks to the travel probably have a lot more geometrical variation too.

dropmachine - I'm with whiteravenKS on this one, as a percentage of previous size, the 9.5 body probably holds a fair amount more oil than the 8.75 one. The V10 has always had a ridiculously high leverage ratio and it's probably not a bad thing that they make it more reasonable, it's not like they went completely stupid (ala 3.5" stroke shock in an 8" bike).

IH8Rice - Not debating what fox says, but I think the higher flow thing is a bit of a wank these days, most current shocks aren't really lacking in that regard IMO. What would make the new fox shock better I reckon, is better management of compression damping via better external adjustability and more useful adjustments. It's probably going to be easier to get the right compression damping curve with a traditional LSC and HSC adjuster compared to understanding the propedal/boost relationship and trying to tune that setup traditionally.

Also, the 09 fox (dhx) shocks are supposed to have a new presized/polished (or whatever) bushing, and I thought they felt really nice! Close to a BOS in terms of stiction / lack thereof, so assuming the new fox is using the same deal, that'd be another plus.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Santa Cruz has a heap of customers who didn't care about leverage (and bought their frames), but they had a heap of customers who did care about leverage, (potential customers) makes sense to me, a pretty simple change for potentially a lot more sales..

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Also, the 09 fox (dhx) shocks are supposed to have a new presized/polished (or whatever) bushing, and I thought they felt really nice! Close to a BOS in terms of stiction / lack thereof, so assuming the new fox is using the same deal, that'd be another plus.
do you mean the limited edition versions of the shock or just the standard dhx5?