PSA for cold weather riding

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Honest question, what is the difference between these and coughing up $160+ for something like the 45nrth pogies? I'd expect the ones designed for a fast(er) moving machine to provide just as much wind and insulation.

Do you ever sweat in these things?

Unless its below -2c, I almost always use regular riding gloves. Just need to make sure that they don't get wet and remember to not wipe my nose with them. I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium winter gloves that make my hands get too hot, if its not -5c.

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Ksyrium-Thermo-Finger-Cycling/dp/B019Y84A1S

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Honest question, what is the difference between these and coughing up $160+ for something like the 45nrth pogies? I'd expect the ones designed for a fast(er) moving machine to provide just as much wind and insulation.

They don't have the associated bicycle uplift in the cost that says $10k is okay for a bike. I'm sure the $160 ones have some fancy features that might be more useful on extended cold weather races etc., but these cost $3.35 and give you plenty of extra warmth for your hands in freezing temps as I find them much better at blocking wind-chill at extended higher speed descents than just gloves.

They don't have the associated bicycle uplift in the cost that says $10k is okay for a bike. I'm sure the $160 ones have some fancy features that might be more useful on extended cold weather races etc., but these cost $3.35 and give you plenty of extra warmth for your hands in freezing temps as I find them much better at blocking wind-chill at extended higher speed descents than just gloves.
The 45NRTH are a PITA - the foam inserts keep extruding themselves out of the pogies. I think I'd go cheapo next time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The 45NRTH are a PITA - the foam inserts keep extruding themselves out of the pogies. I think I'd go cheapo next time.
I took an old hard foam roller, sliced 1 1/2 inch slices and then made cuts like the below to fit the bars and the cables. They've worked well with the ATV pogies as they allow you to cinch the Velcro closing nice and tight around the hard foam.

Untitled.jpg

(Note: not a deathstar)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Unless its below -2c, I almost always use regular riding gloves. Just need to make sure that they don't get wet and remember to not wipe my nose with them. I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium winter gloves that make my hands get too hot, if its not -5c.

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Ksyrium-Thermo-Finger-Cycling/dp/B019Y84A1S
With the dogwood designs pogies, I can and do, roll them up on the bars (kind of inside out) when my hands get hot. Then my hands cool and don't get wet from sweat. I think the revelate ones have a door or something you can open up to vent. No matter what, you gotta be able to vent unless you are down below 5 degrees F all the time (like Saturday's ride).

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Only thing I ever worry about with those is getting my hands off the bar in time if I eat shit.
That is what occurred to me a split second after thinking "hey! those look like a great idea! why doesn't everyone do this??"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That is what occurred to me a split second after thinking "hey! those look like a great idea! why doesn't everyone do this??"
It’s not really a concern, most people don’t let go of the bars when they go down/as soon as they crash so they can break their wrists, plus there’s nothing to catch your hands on anyway, it’s not like they are being held on by anything.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wife and I both have these on our hardtails for winter riding. I thought our $10 was a bargain, current price of $3.35 is ridiculous.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-15-067-013802-00-Black-Handlebar/dp/B00E0CZLF8/

Need to make or buy something like this to go with it to pad the end and secure it around the bar and cables, I cut up an old foam roller.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=70322
I like that idea. Right now I have some insulated Pearl Izumi gloves that have padding in the palms that makes gripping the bars a bit nebulous and leads to arm pump. For $3.35 shipped its at least worth the gamble.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I'm flopping around in a snowbank trying to get myself unstuck after crashing.
If you'd stop riding skinny-ass bikes that leave ruts in the trail and slide out from under you at when you pick up any speed or turn...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
why not just wear a pair of 3 in one mounataineering gloves? nylon outer with palm and finger grip surfaces, waterproof breathable membrane and polar fleece 100 liner. and for when its really cold you add in the polar fleece 200 inner fleece glove

or something like this http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-gloves/guide-BD801516_cfg.html
Because it's like trying to ride or drive with boxing gloves on and your hands start sweating in no time.

One time I went DHing with something resembling winter ski gloves on. Never ever again.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Speaking of hot coco, we saw a guy the other weekend with a thermos in his water bottle cage. Genious! Pair that with some baileys....:busted:
We did on Friday morning. I was going to bring some special-ingredient last night, but I kind of forgot :(

why not just wear a pair of 3 in one mounataineering gloves? nylon outer with palm and finger grip surfaces, waterproof breathable membrane and polar fleece 100 liner. and for when its really cold you add in the polar fleece 200 inner fleece glove

or something like this http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-gloves/guide-BD801516_cfg.html
I have never managed to find fancy-assed gloves or mittens that don't load up with condensed sweat, then freeze during breaks on a big ride in really cold temperatures, Pogies solved the problem.