Quantcast

Pull Shock bikes

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA

possibly the most famous pull shock bike, GT LOBO
i had the schwinn straight 8 for 8months, sold it. but before that i had a Lobo.
lasted almost 3months before the headtube ripped off. same thing happened too all my sts/lts bikes. other then one sts-ds, the linkage snapped clean off.

this thread brings back great/terrible memories of my grom days

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Whatever happened to this guy?
Last I talked to him he was working with some Aussie company on a "radial" suspension. It was going to change the world of suspension design. Not just bicycles, but all supsension. Still waiting for the press release changing the world...
To bad the shock units were ticking pipe bombs that would always explode at the most convenient time, I carried 2 extra JIC.
Never had that problem on mine and I rode it for about two years? We had three team members on the frames, and two more a year later with a sixth person finally getting his money back after the year came and went with no delivery. At that time ALL the RS "push" shocks were blowing regularly. The only shock failure I am aware of with out group was when I broke the frame. You'll notice the frames below the pivot down to the BB is a machined piece. Our frames had one tube run from the headtube down to the BB broken up by a "shell". That was where they all broke.

But to this day,that was one of the best pedalling DH bikes I have ever rode. It just squatted down in the travel and went.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Last I talked to him he was working with some Aussie company on a "radial" suspension. It was going to change the world of suspension design. Not just bicycles, but all supsension. Still waiting for the press release changing the world...
ah i was there that year at interbike where he "premiered" the design idea for the "radial" design. sounded all good, till i heard him say elastomer.
still a interesting guy

Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ
Before I stalked Alex & 2x4 there was Eric Buell. Wish I had not hacked this bike up and turned into longer travel dual linkage bike. Crazy how everyone and there mothers are making duell linkage bikes now, I got over duell linkage crap in mid 90's, been there done that and have moved on to duell shocks. They thought I was insane then, funny how some things never change. This thread would not be complete without the bike that started my obsession!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
1995 ish....92 was full on HT days for DH with some small exception.

To bad that bike never really saw the light of day.

I do miss the days of guys throwing it down like that in XC races.
I was a HUGE tomac fan back then. I remember spotting this bike in that ad and waiting for it to come out ... never did :(

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal

Scott Genius 2 Carbon.
Thats the top of the line model, the Genius Limited, and they are actually going to be available in the US for 2009. I work at a Scott dealer and was lucky enough to get to ride one and it is an absolutely phenomenal bike. It climbs incredibly well (especially with the 6 inch-3.5 inch-lockout remote- I found the 3.5 inch setting climbed best) and rips descents. While it felt stable through the rougher stuff, it was still very nimble and responsive. Definitely a sweet bike.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I would love to find a pull shock for my old schwinn straight six. It would make a good starter bike for my son...
???????????
How many times do I have to put this out there!!!!
Has been mounted to a frame but has never been ridden.
I broke my GSR 8 frame at the pivot and that destroyed the shock. This was the replacement for that shock but was waiting on the new redesigned rear-end (see picture above) that never materialized. I repaired my frame (chromo) and changed some things to mate to the new rear so I can't do anything with it now unless I cut it apart and start over again.
And as many times as I say I am going to do that, it just isn't going to happen.:nopity:

PS; that is a "2-stage" spring set-up. I only got to ride it once but it seemed to work pretty good. The springs say 3000 lbs/in and 1750 lbs/in but I think you are supposed to halve that so 1500 lb/in and 875 lbs/in? I was 220 and think I was running an 800lbs spring.
I would throw in the frame too if you wanted something you could frankenstein with?

Attachments

Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ
I would love to find a pull shock for my old schwinn straight six. It would make a good starter bike for my son...
Hey boss, DT makes the pull shocks for scott and if you have enough coin anything is possible. Personally I would stick with any modern day compress stuff just because its cheaper, easier to get hold of and just plain practical in terms of maintenance. Monster garage that puppy and call it a day!