Quantcast

Purely for DJ, BMX or 26"?

TTB

Chimp
Mar 24, 2013
UK
Hey, first post here - seems to be the only forum with a good DJs section! I'm in a bit of a predicament with bike choice at the minute and wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Currently riding a bmx (Sunday Trail Scout) at the jumps and I love the solid feel (and how quiet it is!) but never really feel fully comfortable on it - not enough to start thinking about trying whips, tables etc. Feel pretty stiff on the bike all the time and it's hard to loosen up. I got back into bmx again after a 5 year stint of only riding mtb both DH and on the DJs, and was probably riding these jumps my best on my old Trailstar. I also ride DH etc on a 26" so I'm very used to that wheel size.

So at the minute I'm feeling like I should accept that 20" isn't for me and go for a 26" DJ bike, but I sometimes felt that the Trailstar was a bit big and cumbersome, plus they never feel as solid and reliable as a bmx! Then again I've never ridden a modern geo 26" DJ bike like the Suburban or something. Guess I need to have a go on both back-to-back to see wat I think, but don't know anyone with a bike I could try out..

Any thoughts would be good! Anyone done it and regretted selling the bmx, or indeed the opposite?

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Not so much advice as you basically have what anybody here is going to say. I would run 26 since you like it. As much as mtb have come a long way, they will never be perfect and as strong as a bmx. The bmx will be more solid, the mtb will be more flexy. I think your wanting the strengths of both without either of the repercussions.

i recommend one of each. then you can just flip back and forth as you see fit. i've been riding 20",24"and 26" at the same time for years now and don't understand why more people wouldn't as well. sometimes different trails call for a different bike. plus i bounce back and forth depending on which crew i ride with...

TTB

Chimp
Mar 24, 2013
UK
I would love to but I can't really justify or afford having that many bikes sat around doing nothing, I just don't get to ride them all enough. Just got 1 road bike, 1 mtb and 1 "fun stuff" bike which at the minute is the bmx.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I would love to but I can't really justify or afford having that many bikes sat around doing nothing, I just don't get to ride them all enough. Just got 1 road bike, 1 mtb and 1 "fun stuff" bike which at the minute is the bmx.
i don't miss jumping 20"s at all (and i rode them for many many years). i can understand people preferring them for street/park/flatland... but since you're saying pure dirt, then i think you can replace your 20". there are several options:

* 22" bmx. e.g. Faction Amero, S&M Holmes 22", InDust 2ton 22" see: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f61/22-inches-love-feels-just-right-237841/

* 24" bmx. Sunday Model C or Wave C. Liquid Feedback (not currently available). Specialized P24, Subrosa 24", etc.http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f61/my-liquid-bike-227386/

* 24" mtb-DJ/park. Blackmarket Contraband 24", Union Street Molly Maguire 24", NS Capital 24", DMR Drone/Reptoid? 24" . . .

* 26" mtb-DJ. NS Suburban, Metropolis, Holy etc. , Blackmarket Edit1, Transition Trail or Park, Specialized P26, Eastern NightTrain, Superco Charger, Dartmoor, Doberman, Santa Cruz Jackal, Rocky Mountain, Haro, etc. etc.

*26" bmx: Volume Sledgehammer/Hessian 26".

As between mtb or bmx, it comes down to whether you want a slightly more relaxed head angle (69 typically versus 74-ish), and whether you want a suspension fork. A well tuned DJ suspension fork can be great for jumping, because that extra bit of 'give'/'save' adds smoothness and for some people helps them go bigger and try things they might be less willing to try or gives the ability to rides slightly rougher terrain. However, rigid fork does deliver a snappier pop off lips. It's just a personal preference.

Watch some videos and try to figure out what interests you more.

Martin Soderstrom. 26" DJ.

Jon Faure- "how to ride dirt jumps when you suck" (riding Sunday Wave C 24")

Last edited:
i'd find a 24" MTBMX if i was searching for just one bike for strictly dirtjumping. the best of both worlds. they aren't the most readily available bikes, but in my opinion, they are the most versatile. they easily fit into tight pumptracks and are still right at home on slopestyle sized bangers...

TTB

Chimp
Mar 24, 2013
UK
Yeah I dont really do much street other than a few 180s and feebles on my driveway when I'm bored, and last time I went to the park was probably last November! Too many kids getting in the way and with no park etiquette, really annoying! Saying that the park near me has just started building a new area that looks really fun, so I'll maybe have to reserve judgement til I get to ride that on the bmx.

Ive seen the 22" thread on bikeguide and was gonna get one but faction took forever bringing out the new amero and I kinda lost interest.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Keep in mind, with whatever bike you get/have, you still have to spend time riding it. I see people ALL THE TIME that seem to think all one needs is a bike and a jump and everything else comes easy.

I didn't see if you mentioned your height. The correct size bike makes a HUGE difference. Maybe the bars are too short/small/big on the Sunday. etc.

TTB

Chimp
Mar 24, 2013
UK
Haha yeah true, I guess at the time I was riding my 26" really well at the jumps I was also riding pretty much every day! The thing that's making me think the 26" might be better is that it'd be less of a harsh transition between the play bike and the dh bike as theyre both same size wheels etc. So on the rare occasion I do get over to ride the djs itd maybe a bit easier/more familiar feeling. I know I am way over thinking it now though haha.

And I'm only about 5'9" with a short leg, my trail scout is still all stock and I dont actually know what rise the bars are. Before I had this I had another shorter sunday with narrower bars (was more of a street build) and the 21" with taller wider bars does feel loads better!

Last edited: