Quantcast

Q-Factor and knee pain, how wide is too wide for XC?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Lawd, posting in the XC section again.

I have a new hardtail and I have to run quite a wide set of cranks to get adequate clearance and from memory the Q-Factor is up near 180mm. This is the only bike I have had much in the way of knee pain on and I however running the seatpost slightly lower than optimum(waiting on a longer one).

I don't feel too bad if I am up out of the saddle occasionally but if I am sitting and spinning the insides of my knees really start to hurt.

Anyone got any input?

Cheers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah seriously. I wouldn't even be thinking about nebulous things like crank q factors until your legs are at a healthy position under power.
wait is this sarcasm? i haven't had enough coffee yet. especially after the fishing thing :rofl:

but my legs get all out of whack when i ride on a saddle that's too low.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You gentlemen were correct, guess I'd never ridden more than 10-20km with the seat a bit low.

Went for a fancy flexy carbon post and a Chromag Trailmaster LTD and I'm pretty happy, seat is pretty damn wide but due to the people at Chromag putting some effort in to the design so it doesn't snag.

Gonna get a Command dropper and run the flexy post on longer rides, 31.6 posts on hardtails suck for comfort!

Last edited: