Quantcast

Quad core weirdness...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok here's one for you guys. Stumped.

Dell's phone support last night was trying my patience, so I am throwing this to the monkey people before I call them again.

New (refurb) Dell Inspiron 560 machine.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
4GB ram
650GB hdd
Intel integrated graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium

Here's the problem so far -

Open the box, set it up, system won't boot. Gets to "Windows is starting" and locks/reboots.

Does the same thing booting from the system restore disk, so I know it's a hardware snag.

From a few forums, finally figured out that I need to go into the BIOS and disable multi-core support to get it to boot. That works! I get in, load Windows for the first time, run updates, etc.

Check the system properties, it's only showing 2 cores. Disabling multi-core support turns off one core for each die on the proc, so now I basically have a Core 2 Duo machine.

:grumble:

Is there a special quad core patch for Win 7 that I need? Or is this a BIOS flash thing?

HELP.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My first guess would be bios. After that I am thinking it's a hardware issue. You said it wouldn't boot before you installed the OS, so I am guessing that the OS is not the problem.

However I am not as tech saavy as I used to be. BV or Sydasti (and others) will be able to give you a better response than I.