Quantcast

Quality Replacement Frame Bearings?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So I need new bearings for my Transition Patrol. They sell a bearing kit for it, but use Enduro bearings.
As I recall, there isn't a lot of monkey love for Enduro bearings. This quote in particular brought the point home:
Sealing, tolerances, and quality of material as they don't follow any ISO or similar manufacturing standards iirc. There's a reason they are cheap, sometimes a kit costs as much as a couple quality bearings. It's expected really. For some applications it's fine, but considering the cost of these bikes and the effect pressing bearings has on the housing, it makes sense to just spend the extra and forger about it longer. Not surprising bike companies use them, it saves them a LOT of money.
Transition also lists the bearings specs: 2x 6903 bearings, 2x 6902 bearings and 4x 3802 bearings. I'm guessing I can get these either local, or on-line.

@atrokz ; you're in Canada as I recall... where do you get your bearings? Is there a reputable on-line retailer?

@kidwoo , have you used anything other than Enduro bearings for your Patrol?

Also, do bearings come in pairs? i.e., if Transition lists 2x6903, is that two pairs, or just two bearings?

Lastly, I'm thinking of doing this myself... Anyone have any recommendations on a bearing puller/installation tool? I don't need professional quality, as I won't be doing this often, but it would be nice to have the right tool to get the jorb done.

tagging @Udi too, as he's a font of knowledge, but I can't say I recall him ever posting in any of the "other" forums... :D

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So I need new bearings for my Transition Patrol. They sell a bearing kit for it, but use Enduro bearings.
As I recall, there isn't a lot of monkey love for Enduro bearings. This quote in particular brought the point home:

Transition also lists the bearings specs: 2x 6903 bearings, 2x 6902 bearings and 4x 3802 bearings. I'm guessing I can get these either local, or on-line.

@atrokz ; you're in Canada as I recall... where do you get your bearings? Is there a reputable on-line retailer?

@kidwoo , have you used anything other than Enduro bearings for your Patrol?

Also, do bearings come in pairs? i.e., if Transition lists 2x6903, is that two pairs, or just two bearings?

Lastly, I'm thinking of doing this myself... Anyone have any recommendations on a bearing puller/installation tool? I don't need professional quality, as I won't be doing this often, but it would be nice to have the right tool to get the jorb done.
Park HBP-1 is a good press. Most of the other presses I have tried suck. I had a Wheels Manufacturing Press and gave it away as it was junk.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd be surprised if you needed more than 8 bearings total. ;) I bought a cheap 2nd hand Enduro bearing press and while it is a fantastic tool for suspension and hub maintenance, it failed me when pressing in headset cups.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For removing bearings I bought one of the cheap blind hole bearing puller kits from ebay, the same as the "bike" branded versions but at a 3rd of the price.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Spend your money on a decent vise or a bearing press and use Enduro bearings. They probably last almost as long as the more spendy ones but with better tools you can change them more often and easier.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Spend your money on a decent vise or a bearing press and use Enduro bearings. They probably last almost as long as the more spendy ones but with better tools you can change them more often and easier.
This is sort of what I was thinking. From what I've experienced over the years, the issue with suspension linkage bearings is that the balls wear a groove in the race where they are not doing full revolutions. My inclination is to believe the quality of the bearings will have a minimal impact on this phenomenon - but that's part of what I was trying to determine by asking the group here.
I also just called my shop. They said its not likely all the bearings are shot. So I think I'll get this little cork-soaker with the right kit, and then do only the ones that need changing.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Just make sure to open the bearings and get them full with grease. Most of the bearings are only superficially lubed which makes it easier for water to enter the bearing. Seriously, all bearing sets I bought for a bicycle were basically dry. And I bought from SKF, allthough not the fancy stuff.

Dry bearings were a lot of times the cause for machine failures in my old company. When we started to open them and get actual grease and in them all of a sudden the problems were gone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just make sure to open the bearings and get them full with grease. Most of the bearings are only superficially lubed which makes it easier for water to enter the bearing. Seriously, all bearing sets I bought for a bicycle were basically dry. And I bought from SKF, allthough not the fancy stuff.

Dry bearings were a lot of times the cause for machine failures in my old company. When we started to open them and get actual grease and in them all of a sudden the problems were gone.
Any tips for opening them up without bending the seal?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What's wrong with Enduro bearings? It's what I've used in the past, no issues.
My guess is that there's a sense that there's better out there. And people who work with these types of implements are keenly aware of the advantages/disadvatages in a work/machine setting.

However, my experience has been that they are perfectly fine for bikes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What's wrong with Enduro bearings? It's what I've used in the past, no issues.
I have a new pair for a BB. After less than 200 miles, they click, aren't smooth, require frequent re-greasing. The ball retainer his huge and won't allow much grease inside. The seals are meh. And those are more expensive angular contact bearings. I just believe there are much better options out there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This thread makes me fond of my old Turner with byshingd and grease ports.

I put a good 8 years of hard riding on that thing and only ever had to add a bit of grease. Pivots are still tight and smooth.