Quantcast

Question about Crested Butte MSC

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Hey all, I've heard that the DH at Crested Butte leaves a little to be desired, pretty smooth, and a few climbs(I think?). I'm wondering if its even worth it bring out my Demo 8 to race the MSC race. I'll be there for the fat tire festival and just to get some good trail riding in for the week, figured I'd do the race since I'd already be there. So here's the deal, I'm bringing my Enduro SL to trailride on, etc... should I even bother shipping out my DH bike to do the race, or you think I can race it on the SL? thanks

mike

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
SL would be best if you don't have crazy madman power. If you do have crazy madman power the dh is always faster there. However I have heard rumors that the course will be different. Though seems like I've heard that every year? Either way, a fun weekend to get out and ride.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Cool, this could be interesting. I still really want to take my DH bike, but its just gonna be too big of a hassle. We'll see how the bone stock SL does!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
On the old course, there's one section that might be a little squirelly on an all mtn bike, aside from that, it's a super d course. The sl should rock that part of it.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
From a post in the MSC thread:

-small guns will be fine.

-some marketing genius decided to have the race the weekend before the Fat Tire Bike Week instead of at the end of it like usual, so the chainless race down Kebler Pass isn't until the following Thursday, sorry. It is a blast, though!

-speaking of chains, don't let H pull yours. There is no new DH trail. There is a fun new freeride trail on resort property (not NFS) with some jumps and drops and berms that should be rideable by the race weekend, but it isn't a racecourse and would finish on the backside of the mountain in the burb$. Should be a wicked fun trail when it's done, ask someone to point you towards it during practice.

-every year the jumps at the end of the course get plowed for ski season, so we will be rebuilding them. BIGGER. I hear we have dirt available as of right now.

-despite any disappointments there may be regarding a lack of burliness and technicality on course, the weekend itself will be awesome, and there will be plenty of good times!! Stop by the red monkey van @ the base area if you get bored, we'll point you towards something fun!

-Soooo, bring some extra tubes for the road to the start line, be ready to ride off course on other trails, and maybe bring an extra liver!