Quantcast

Question for Sherman Slider+ users

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Ok, I've done the search but could not find the info I wanted. I picked up a slider+ not too long ago and really love the damping. My only complaint is that currently it is not very sensitive to the smaller bumps and I can feel the vibrations through my arms. Is there somthing wrong with my setup? (I'm currently running 60psi, 2 turns in and rebound 90% open)
I rode my friends bike with a super t and it felt like butter and going fast over the smaller bumps felt like it was on carpet. So I was just wondering if I can do anything on the setup or if its just the way the SPV works.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd do like HTFR said. I know nothing about slider's SPV but if its at all like my 5th Element lowering the air pressure increasing decreasing the air volume and backing out the compression should make it more compliant over small bumps, you will loose some of that platform feel though.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I agree with the above suggestions. I had mine setup roughly like yours is for the first few months and it just wasn't that plush, I mean it pedaled great but wasn't at all sensitive to anything less than a 6" bump. I recently took the air chamber down to right around the minimum PSI and also turned in the red nut a few more rotations making the chamber smaller. If I run the min PSI with the chamber all the way out, I can bottom the fork just by pushing down on it hard, turning the chamber in makes it supple initially and then firmer as you move through the travel and therefore resistant to bottoming. So keep experimenting with different settings and you should be able to get it right for what you want.

Unfortunately I couldn't ever find the perfect balance between SPV and sensitivity on small bumps. I think a true inertia valve would give that feeling of both. I have ridden the new Stratos upgrade cartridges with inertia valve technology (licensed from Ricor) and they feel how I would like my Sherman to feel. So I guess you have to compromise a little and lean towards either a little stiff or a little plush...

punkassean said:
....I recently took the air chamber down to right around the minimum PSI and also turned in the red nut a few more rotations making the chamber smaller. If I run the min PSI with the chamber all the way out, I can bottom the fork just by pushing down on it hard, turning the chamber in makes it supple initially and then firmer as you move through the travel and therefore resistant to bottoming.....QUOTE]

punkassean, I thought I read somewhere that you have to let all the air out first before making compression adjustments via the "red" nut. Is this true, or did you just go for it?

FWIW, I'm about 165, 175-180 with full gear on. I've been playing around with air pressure between 50-65lbs. I think the next step is to play with the compression settings. Especially with N* opening in two weeks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
punkassean, I thought I read somewhere that you have to let all the air out first before making compression adjustments via the "red" nut. Is this true, or did you just go for it?

FWIW, I'm about 165, 175-180 with full gear on. I've been playing around with air pressure between 50-65lbs. I think the next step is to play with the compression settings. Especially with N* opening in two weeks.
from everything I recall reading in the manual, you should always adjust the air pressure after making changes to the volume because the air pressure will change due to the chamber size increasing/shrinking. I don't recall anything about deflating the chamber completely. Maybe I missed that part, can't verify that one? FWIW I'm about 150, 160-170 w/gear...

I would rather save the "platform" feel for XC riding and have a plush fork for DH, that's why I run lower pressures...