Quantcast

Question for the pros

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
If magazines/companies have voiced interest in your pics, does that mean you shouldn't post them up on the internet until they have decided?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I had a marketing manager for a VERY large taiwanese based manufacturer ask for a photo to use 16' x 12' in their eurobike booth....for free. They pay multiple teams 30 000+ euros for title sponsorship.

What a bunch of schmucks.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I had a marketing manager for a VERY large taiwanese based manufacturer ask for a photo to use 16' x 12' in their eurobike booth....for free. They pay multiple teams 30 000+ euros for title sponsorship.

Think of the exposure...

You'd probably get lots more free work from something like that.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

2 weeks ago, german tire co. asks me to send hi res files for catalog of their canadian based freerider images I took while he was in so cal few months ago. I replied with a no problem, here are my rates for catalog use and I will send file once we agree on fees, etc.
The guy writes me back last week (his original email was "I need them now, hurry hurry") saying, quote:
"(insert rider name) has ridden for us for many years and we have NEVER had to pay for images before"

sick.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
2 weeks ago, german tire co. asks me to send hi res files for catalog of their canadian based freerider images I took while he was in so cal few months ago. I replied with a no problem, here are my rates for catalog use and I will send file once we agree on fees, etc.
The guy writes me back last week (his original email was "I need them now, hurry hurry") saying, quote:
"(insert rider name) has ridden for us for many years and we have NEVER had to pay for images before"

sick.
"That's odd. I go into bike shops, and you guys charge for tires..."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's just a photo. It's not like you had to do anything but push a button - why should you charge for that?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Luckily the actual shoot day was for Lopes, which all of his clients have paid, long ago, the (insert rider name) came along for the ride and I thought "sweet, bonus, maybe sell some (insert rider name) shots"....uhhh ya. ;)
in this troubled economy, people expect something for free....:think:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Next time, agree to it, but then send them a hi res image of your morning bowel movement. Then, when they call you to complain, just tell them "well, you got what you paid for."

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Next time, agree to it, but then send them a hi res image of your morning bowel movement. Then, when they call you to complain, just tell them "well, you got what you paid for."
That is a damn good idea. I should use that in the next day or two when the email that I am waiting for comes. I know for a fact that they are going to want free images.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I've learned.... I used to post tons of pics online..... until i started seeing them on other sites.. etc.... they expect by just giving you photo credit that it's cool.....

I have stopped posting photos...

It's very disheartening, when you work hard, walk up the hill with all your equipment in 100 degree weather and sometimes direct sunlight, and people expect your stuff for free.....

Some people are just fools....

I Submitted some hires images to a well known bike company as per their request for a booth... i obliged because they offered me their newest bike and a new Shock for an AWESOME deal.... :-)

otherwise... fuk free work!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The problem is, with the vast array of entry level DSLR's any "mom and pop" can catch a somewhat decent image........sure it will have dust spots, the composition will be a little off, and it won't quite be tack sharp. However if a marketing company can geth their image for "free" or wave some swag in their face vs. actually paying a pro for a pro image then which one do you think they will use?

For me the world of aviation photography is incredibly hard to break into, esspecially getting contacts for access to military bases. I've done some magazine work for hire, and for free. The free work however got me a media pass and access I would have otherwise never gotten.

Sometimes you have to do some free work starting out to get some exposure and some contacts.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I've learned.... I used to post tons of pics online..... until i started seeing them on other sites.. etc.... they expect by just giving you photo credit that it's cool.....

I have stopped posting photos...

It's very disheartening, when you work hard, walk up the hill with all your equipment in 100 degree weather and sometimes direct sunlight, and people expect your stuff for free.....

Some people are just fools....

I Submitted some hires images to a well known bike company as per their request for a booth... i obliged because they offered me their newest bike and a new Shock for an AWESOME deal.... :-)

otherwise... fuk free work!
Wait what? They offerred you an "awesome deal". Are you kidding me? The deal better have been "here, have a free bike", otherwise it's just as bad as the people who put them on their site for credit. BAsically, you just paid them to run your photo. :rolleyes:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Wait what? They offerred you an "awesome deal". Are you kidding me? The deal better have been "here, have a free bike", otherwise it's just as bad as the people who put them on their site for credit. BAsically, you just paid them to run your photo. :rolleyes:
It's a DEAL that i'm not at liberty to discuss.... but it's an AWESOME deal to say the least.....

Some of us are as hard core riders as we are Photographers... so if someone (company) wanted to barter a deal for images for PARTS... why not.... as long as there is an understanding there....

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The problem is, with the vast array of entry level DSLR's any "mom and pop" can catch a somewhat decent image........sure it will have dust spots, the composition will be a little off, and it won't quite be tack sharp. However if a marketing company can geth their image for "free" or wave some swag in their face vs. actually paying a pro for a pro image then which one do you think they will use?
Turn it around and look at it from the other direction. Someone who would use a crappy shot isn't your customer anyways, so don't cater down to them.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's a DEAL that i'm not at liberty to discuss.... but it's an AWESOME deal to say the least.....

Some of us are as hard core riders as we are Photographers... so if someone (company) wanted to barter a deal for images for PARTS... why not.... as long as there is an understanding there....
I can guarantee you that their deal was not as good as what most companies will pay for tradeshow booth panels/deliverables. In the end, you are still getting screwed, particularly because YOU ARE STILL PAYING MONEY.

I have in the past traded product for an image, product I needed at the time. however, I make sure i get 100% MORE value in product that i would have had in cash (twice the pay). And knowing the going rate for tradeshow panels, i can assure you that you are not getting that unless you are getting a very expensive bike, for free.

ie: If i was to get paid $1500, I would not accept product worth less than $3000 at wholesale. And only then if it was a product I really needed and was going to buy anyways.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, just to educate.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ie: If i was to get paid $1500, I would not accept product worth less than $3000 at wholesale. And only then if it was a product I really needed and was going to buy anyways.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, just to educate.
Yep. This is a good thing to tattoo on the inside of your eyelids when it comes to barter deals. I'd even ask for more, because you have to report it as income.