Quantcast

Question for Whistler junkies...

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi monkies/whistler junkies: I go to Whistler pretty much every other weekend in the summer for riding--my fiance and I are always staying in random hotels/campgrounds/vanagon's or whatever when we go up.

This has been fine for the past few years, but is getting a little old with how frequent we go. We're investigating other options--quarter ownerships, hotel frequent visitor type clubs, getting an RV, etc. We just need to find a more reliable, comfortable, economical solution for staying up there.

I was just wondering what other people do for accommodations up there--maybe I'm missing something. Also, does anyone have any experience with quarter/fractional ownerships? Are they worth it? Any information would be much appreciated.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I just stay in the guest sweate of my freind house. He lives on Nikolas North Golf Course. I know they rent the sweet periodically through the summer. It might be expensive though. If you want I can give you his email.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
My wife and I almost bought a full ownership at the Holiday Inn. It was 124,000 for a studio. As owners we would have been a part of the profit share. Also we would have 30 days summer and 30 days winter to use for ourselves. Plus there were black out dates. In the end the whole process was just too structured for us.

If you are interested, check out a realetor called Lance Lundy. He treated us very well. Good Luck,

Mark

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
If you can track down an owner of a condo they might swing you a good deal if you could guarentee them a large number of nights.Deal directly with the owner vs going thru some property management.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
I would look closely at the fractional ownership especially if your winter use is limited as winter is where most of the deman for the condos comes from. you may be able to negotiate a sweet deal if you can guarantee you don't want any of the peak winter days for the first couple years (x-mass, new years, st patricks / spring break etc...)

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I provide consulting services for one of Whistlers biggest resort management companies. If you want some good inside info, PM me. I have some good connections up there, that may be able to help you out.

I too used to head up there every other weekend, however I got tired of the drive, and wanted to maximize my time up there more. After 3 seasons of every other weekend driving up there, I said screw it, and moved there for this past summer, and will do the same this coming summer, and the one after that.
Having the park to yourself on weekdays, without lift lines, is priceless in my opinion.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Traveling to Whistler is one of the reasons Freak and I ended up getting our first RV. Is was a two fold reason of not wanting to pay for hotels every time, and not having to find a hotel that will take pets. Perfect compromise! I would much rather stay in my RV now then ever stay in a hotel :)

Oh yea, we always stayed at Riverside RV Resort & Campground. Nice place.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi Velocity Girl, what kind of RV do you guys have? I know nothing about RV's and will have to start researching. I have the same issue with pets. We bring our pug with us everywhere we go (except on the lifts of course!).

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Ash I havnt ridden with you in like a year. We need to go rip it up sometime. Im back in december from school.

As for Whistler my neighbors own a condo up there that they rent out. Right near the lifts. Might be pricy though. PM me and i can get you their info.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Well, we've had a couple in the past few years.

We started with a trailer/flatbed hybrid. Had a fold out queen bed, head/shower combo. Small, but fit the bill. Once we moved up to three dogs though space became a bit tight.

Next up, 25' (I think) Fleetwood Prowler travel trailer. No more flatbed, but lots of inside space. Queen bed, 1 slide, seperate shower and head.

http://pimbasworld.com/jls/view_album.php?set_albumName=truck_trailer

Then we switched to ATVs and felt a toy hauler would be better. So we got a 23ST Extreme Megalite. Very cool to be able to open the back and put everything in. Opens up the floor plan if you don't want to have the seats down, etc.

http://pimbasworld.com/jls/view_album.php?set_albumName=toyhauler

Well, more ATVs and another dog and a more powerful truck meant yet a bigger trailer :) So now we have an 5th wheel 330FXG Extreme.

I of course like the 5th wheel the best because it has tons o' space and we can carry 3-4 quads without a problem now.

So I thik it all depends on price range, function, etc. Even though you don't have big toys, I would have still liked a toy hauler I think. Just makes the gear so easy to load.

The downfall of moving up in trailer size though was decreased gas mileage. We finally bit the bullet and got a diesel truck and that made a nice difference. I would also be just a tad leary of what the salesman tell you can tow with your vehicle. The will most likely push it to it's max to get you into a bigger trailer and that might not always be a good thing.

If you want a good salesman for a toy hauler PM me. We bought both of ours from Renton Motorcycles and had very good service from the guys there. They were honest and didn't lowball us on our trade-ins and our nice guys (downfall is that they don't have alot of stock...but the megalites they do have right now are pretty cool).

Let me know if there are any specific questions you have and Freak or I will be happy to answer 'em!

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
they need you do only bring the dog food in the bag it CAME IN! or they make you throw it out. We always bring proof of vaccinations, but we forgot them once and they didnt care.

Really, canada is good about it, but we have a small dog, if its a pit bull, they might question more

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
To cross the border they're supposed to have vaccinations records/letter of good health. Your vet should be able to give you one, and probably a good idea to carry the actual rabies vacination form. We've been asked for it only once in all the times we went across.

Very true about the dog food thing...we got stopped and searched twice because of dog food. So make sure anything with meat bi-products in it are in the same packages.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Great! I got 2, one husky mix (42 lbs.) and another Shiba Inu (17 lbs.). Bording is so expensive, it'd be nice to just have them with us, they hate to be away from us...

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
At what Velocity Girl paid for the RV you can rent alot of condos! :twitch:

We've got a Eurovan which is a camper but no shower so that's out.

I think your best bet is to go in on a condo with fellow riders (like us!) if you get enough DH friends to rotate amongst, you should be set. We can't keep up with you guys going up there so much! With a bunch of people sharing the condo is quite cheap. It's the eating out that gets expensive.

Linda

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Yeah, ideally, we can hook up with you guys as much as possible next summer up there. Yeah, the eating out gets way expensive, but that's what kitchens are for!!

My latest idea is to put money aside each month into a "whistler/vacation account" and to join a frequent hotel program at the hilton or something. They give discounts and points, and its free. Then, when the summer rolls around, the financial hit won't be as bad.

I considered the fractional ownership thing, but I can't justify another mortgage every month, as hotels are still much cheaper.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
It's just sooo fun to eat out at Whistler...have to have self-control, sigh.

Let us know what you find. A whistler fund is on our radar too. I want to get up several times next year!

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I agree, eating out at whistler is a blast. There's nothing like beers and edamame at the GLC apres!! Last year, seasons pass holders got 20% off at the GLC, I think. You should get a pass next year--if you do the camps, seasons passes are only $199. We should do the freeride or spokeswomen camp together next year...think about it--it'd be fun!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Yes, RedFoxx is right, some of the trailers can get a bit pricey...but we were thinking long term (even though we ended up turning some of them over).

It wasn't just hotel costs that factored into our decision. It was $ saved on food, dog sitter if we couldn't find a hotel that would take 'em, and the same applied to race weekends (and being able to stay onsite).

I would say during racing/riding season we're gone on average gone 2-3 weekends. So if you add up lodging costs alone for 3 nights (because if we take the dogs we have to pay for Sunday night so they have a place to stay during the day) it starts to add up. We looked at that versus what the trailer payments are monthly and for us at least it was a good investment....and a heck of a lot of fun. It's nice being in our own place when we travel, having a place to stay the night while traveling to our destination. It's not for everyone, but I actually don't like staying in hotels much anymore and would rather camp :D

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I agree, eating out at whistler is a blast. There's nothing like beers and edamame at the GLC apres!! Last year, seasons pass holders got 20% off at the GLC, I think. You should get a pass next year--if you do the camps, seasons passes are only $199. We should do the freeride or spokeswomen camp together next year...think about it--it'd be fun!
Hum, will see....

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Ya, I'll be able to hit Whistler next year for sure with my new Bottle Rocket I just put a down payment on! I'm hoping to hit a class up there as well!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would say during racing/riding season we're gone on average gone 2-3 weekends. So if you add up lodging costs alone for 3 nights (because if we take the dogs we have to pay for Sunday night so they have a place to stay during the day) it starts to add up. We looked at that versus what the trailer payments are monthly and for us at least it was a good investment....and a heck of a lot of fun. It's nice being in our own place when we travel, having a place to stay the night while traveling to our destination. It's not for everyone, but I actually don't like staying in hotels much anymore and would rather camp :D
i agree that it would be nice, but did you really crunch the numbers to see whether trailer + big truck + gas costs are less than those for cheap hotels?

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
You guys are forgetting that by buying a trailer, you're not just throwing those mothly payments away. When the payments are done, you own that trailer that can be sold for cash, there's equity in owning it. So that needs to be considered as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i doubt that a trailer is going to appreciate. vehicles are much poorer investments than property.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Ya, I never looked at buying a vehicle as an investment. More of like a necessary evil.
Necessary evil?!!? Have you not learned anything from me?
Certainly not an investment unless your one of those people foolishly driving up collector car prices at the Barret Jackson auction (sons of b*****s).

I think its about comfort. We sold my crew cab truck and bought a Jetta wagon. Better mileage, lower insurance, some other creature comforts.
But, having to pack your stuff into a car, having to unpack the car when you get home, less room to make it a group event, etc.
All things considered buying the VW over the crew cab was one of the worts things I've ever done.

If I had the extra cash and a place to park it I wouldn't mind having a trailer. Throw everything in the trailer and clean it out the day after you get home instead of having to empty out everything right when you get home.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
i agree that it would be nice, but did you really crunch the numbers to see whether trailer + big truck + gas costs are less than those for cheap hotels?
Yes, we did.

For us at least there are also some other factors...we have dogs so any weekend trip becomes a 3 night stay because we have to have a place for them to stay on Sunday. And trying to find a place that allows dogs can be a pain in the butt in the first place. We also can't really pack gear and dogs into our small car (Mazda 3) so that means taking the truck anyway (and the bigger diesel truck gets better mileage than our gasser too!). Additionally we rarely eat out when we're in the trailer so that save a good chunk of change also. And when you're traveling that many weekends, there is a $ associated with the convience of having your own place. And taking trips to other places, like Yellowstone, become much more affordable when you can camp and take the mutts :D

Again, it might not be for everyone, but for us it made sense.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
... Throw everything in the trailer and clean it out the day after you get home instead of having to empty out everything right when you get home.
That is definitely a huge plus!!!

Or being able to pack up everything the night before (I don't think parking a loaded up car/truck in downtown Seattle all day would be the wisest of choices!)

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
For what its worth, the thing I like about the campervan idea, is you dont have to haul all your crap from car to the hotel room, and then back to the car again. That to me, was the biggest pain in the rear.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Yeah, been there--done that. Kind of fun and extreme for awhile, but then gets a bit old. I'll admit that after a hard day of riding, a hot shower and nice comfortable bed is becoming more and more of a necessity for me.

Still don't mind camping, but the biggest issue with that is keeping track of over $10K worth of bikes and what to do with the pug while we're gone!!

We have found a great dog sitter up there, but she's usually done around 3:30, and with extended play, leaving him in a hotel room for a few extra hours would be the deal!!

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
For my money 25 dollars a night at the hostels is great. Stayed at three of them. One's a real dump, but there is always room. The one on the highway is rarely vacant. But if you can get in, it's a good price. Peace!

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
I snag a shower at the campground. Do a load of wash while I eat dinner. Then move up to the overnight lot and sleep in the back of my pickup.

Total costs, about 6 bucks.