Quantcast

question on marzocchi super monster fork?????

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
im trying to adjust my super monster fork from 12" to 10", by doing that, is it possible just to pour out some oil our of the stancions? or do you have to buy a whole internal??? may sound like a stupid question, but i just dont want to mess the fork up because the bike is for sale, and i dont want someone to buy it having to replace something or refill the oil without knowing before hand. thanks for any information you can give. :help:

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Only thing removing the oil would accomplish is changing the compression and rebound characteristics.

Looking at marzocchi's site, there is no travel change kit for that fork.

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
hmm...im not sure where i got it from, but i think it was the person i bought it from said that the fork would be adjustable from 8-10 inches, sure there is no other way to lessen the travel?

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
i was thinking, maybe there would be a way to adjust the sag level to like 2 inches, maybe that would be almost the same as lessening the travel, and increasing the negative travel performance

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
yea, im just trying to figure out how to lessen the travel, because right now im low on cash, short on time to sell the bike, and my front brake hose isnt long enough for the 12 inches of travel, i would if i had the time, but i dont.

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
yea, true, its alright, i found a way to fix it, i just lowered the crowns some and now the front brake cable isnt like a guitar string, i just need to cut the steer tube, but i dont want to in case the guy who buys it wants to replace the cable to let it sit at 12"
whats do you guys think is the best solution?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Don't do anything really. Other than lowering the fork in the crown as much as possible, there's nothing you can do without changing the insides. If you add more oil you can limit your travel so you can have the crowns lower...although it depends on how long your stem is too.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Either that or spend the $15 for a longer brake line. Spliting the frame a fork is the best bet. People who want a super monster won't really want a dh i frame stuck to it and most people who want a dh i will want a more sutable fork.

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
yea, im starting to realize that, im thinking about just throwing on the boxxer team i have on the DH-i and just selling the fork for like 600...do you guys think 600 is a reasonable offer, only rode it a few times, and i bought it for 900 brand new

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
You could easily lower the travel, just add some homemade 2 inch spacers next to the top-out springs/dampers and the fork will have 2" less travel. It'd be the same as changing the travel with a zocchi kit.

However, if you have no idea what I'm talking about you're better off leaving the fork alone, and not risking turning your somewhat useless fork into a worthless fork by breaking something.

Try to sell the fork by itself, if someone wants it they'll want it for what it's made for (super-hucking) and won't care about how tall it is. It may take a while to sell, but they always seem to get sold eventually.

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
ha, thats kinda funny cuz i just had someone buy the bike, well, he said he would let me know by next week, but it makes sense to buy the bike for the price it is, because im selling it with a boxxer race, for only 1400...and im giving a ton extra...so the monster is like a 300 dollar addition, just needed to sell it fast, have to pay off a ticket to get my license...