Quantcast

questions for you racers

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
For all you veteran racers, I have a few questions. I'd really like to compete in some XC races, but I am trying to figure out if I am just fooling myself. So....

How long have you been competing?

How much training does it take to get into "race shape"?

How realistic is it for a 29 year old who has never competed to be able to do this? (I am in pretty good physical shape)

Do they have different skill levels?

Just trying to figure out what my chances are, or if I should just stick to recreational riding.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia
baboom fork over the 25-30.00 Bucks and go race.
Mtn bike races are devided into multiple age and skill catagories
IE Beginnger 18-24, 25-29, 30-35, Sports 18-24 plus additional classes for single speeders and Big Guys.

What do you have to lose? No matter what place you finish you'll have a great time a meet lots of cool people.

I'm a back of the packer IE usually finish last 30 percent in the sports vet/masters cat. I ride sport not because I did good as a beginner, but because I'm not going to drive 2 hours to race just 7 miles.

I'm already training for next years target events an Extra-race( swim 1500 metes, Mtn bike 32KM and run 10 KMs) and a Half Ironman (1.2 mile swim 56 mile bike 13.1 mile run)

I race as a challenge to myself.:D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Baboon, These are all great questions and I hope I can help.

How long have you been competing?
I have just started racing 2 months ago.
How much training does it take to get into "race shape"?
I'm only doing about 80 to a 100 miles a week. That's 3 rides during the week, tue, wen, and thur and then sat and sun. But I was only doing a bout 50 to 80 up until recently.

How realistic is it for a 29 year old who has never competed to be able to do this? Do they have different skill levels?
I'm 30. Yes they do have different skill levels(check with your local circuit but all Norba race events are about the same)
There are categories. Beginner, sport and expert. (semipro and pro) and they break you into age groups. There is usually a 5 year spread in each group. i compete in the 30 to 34 range you would probably be in the 25 to 29. (but once again check your local listings)

Just trying to figure out what my chances are, or if I should just stick to recreational riding.
My advice is join a local biking club. There is a really big group of fun people out there and you can learn a lot from them. My club sponsors a lot of road races and makes a lot of money so if I participate in the club they reimburse me for my racing expenses. (hotels, gas, food, entry fee's the whole bit.)
Even if you don’t go that route, start racing it's a blast.
I have some other advice too but once you start making a decision I’ll put that forward too.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by mikec918

I'm already training for next years target events an Extra-race( swim 1500 metes, Mtn bike 32KM and run 10 KMs) and a Half Ironman (1.2 mile swim 56 mile bike 13.1 mile run)

I race as a challenge to myself.:D
I already have next years spring schedule laid out and I am developing a training schedule to put me in the top 5. If I do that well I’m going to move to sport next fall. The only real problem I for see in my cat is that I have to race against my bike coach. Little ****er is a cat 3 road racer and decided to try something new. He beat me by 45 secs at last weeks race, I would have beat him had the course been more technical but he is learning that stuff fast so I have get more endurance faster.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Thanks for the info, guys! I have about a million questions.

What do find gets more exhausted during a race: Your legs or your cardiovascular system?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

What do find gets more exhausted during a race: Your legs or your cardiovascular system?
[/QUOTE

Legs
________
Yamaha szr660

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I usually flag about 1/2 to 3/4's into the race. It's usually cardio but the legs fall shortly after that if i cant recover. The mental is usually the biggest thing i have to get over. Once the body starts hurting i start saying to myself "Dude this hurts, this isnt fun anymore why am i doing this." I try to plan for that and find a good spot to do some recovering, if you can get your mind back the rest should fall into place. I timed it pretty good last race and i'm sure with a little more training i can get though that all togather.