Quantcast

questions on technique and fitness

Trek Boy

Chimp
Aug 28, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hey guys,

im somewhat new to the mtb sceen. i really just started riding over the last year or so and i have a pretty nice bike (i've basically put a lot of the parts on it myself and replaced a lot of the factory parts). neways my questions concern both technique and fitness. first off, im a 250 lbs, 6' 1" 16 year old and am looking to do this for both enjoyment and fitness.
now i was wondering if its possible for a person of my weight to really be able to do wheelies and jump and stuff like that?
if so could you tell me how i can practise and perfect these techniques to make it more fun and enjoyable!

thanks a lot,

Trek Boy

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ride as much as you can, and watch bike vids when you can't. Surfing ridemonkey helps, too. ;) Ok, maybe it doesn't.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
find some pals who have the same interests as
you, skying AIR. get a short stem 40-70mm.
some platform pedals and schin pads.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by Toshi
Ride as much as you can, and watch bike vids when you can't. Surfing ridemonkey helps, too. ;) Ok, maybe it doesn't.
This is good advice... anyone can ride and do tricks, it doesn't matter how big or small you are... it just takes pracitce.

I also agree that when you can't ride, try to watch other riders, in person, in video, whatever... I know i learn by watching others... I especially do this for racing, watching other people's lines, speed, body position on the bike, everything... it all helps!!!

Oh and Welcome to RM!!!:thumb:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I saw a lot of improvement in my riding when I started riding with people that were better riders than I was. I'm not talking about newbie vs. sponsored superstar, but guys that had a little more experience and a little more confidence. Sometimes seeing someone clear an obstacle or technical section is enough. My first time out with these guys I was riding things that I normally walked around. Just seeing that it could be done was enough to get me to try it. Often I would fail, but they offered advice and a different perspective that helped a lot.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by Trek Boy
hey guys,

im somewhat new to the mtb sceen. i really just started riding over the last year or so and i have a pretty nice bike (i've basically put a lot of the parts on it myself and replaced a lot of the factory parts). neways my questions concern both technique and fitness. first off, im a 250 lbs, 6' 1" 16 year old and am looking to do this for both enjoyment and fitness.
now i was wondering if its possible for a person of my weight to really be able to do wheelies and jump and stuff like that?
if so could you tell me how i can practise and perfect these techniques to make it more fun and enjoyable!

thanks a lot,

Trek Boy
It's just as do able as it is for some one who is 4'10" and 90 lbs, they just need to bulid more muscle than you probably will. Just practice and you'll get it, that's the way everyone else starts.

Feb 8, 2002
Raleigh
Size only matters when you start breaking bikes and parts! Just ride, have fun. One way to get much better is to ride your bike. Even if you just ride it around your neighborhood, ride. The more time you spend on your bike, the more comfortable you'll feel. It will eventually feel like an extension of your body. Just ride, and every now and then, pop wheelies, over and over. Keep doing it, start small, and eventually they will become almost natural. Learn to bunny hop, and practice it. Learning the basics, and making them almost natural is the best way to get better as a rider. Have fun, because that's what it's all about.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Okay...so my response to the size thing doesn't stem from my extensive history of mountain biking (cause that part of my history is slim)...as an ex-gymnast...

It was always very very very amazing to me how someone of size and girth could have soo much more balance and grace and skill than someone considered "skinny" by normal standards and "normal" by gymnast standards...

So...to translate that to biker terms...dude...size doesn't matter one iota...being fit does when you start competing at a higher level...cause then skill is assumed and speed comes from power and endurance. Concentrate on having a blast and getting past each of your goals...the skill will come and the physical fitness will come...