Quantcast

Quick Hayes question

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I have a pair of hayes hfx-9's (my first set of hydraulics) and we put loctite on the 2mm allen bolts that adjust the reach of the lever in the shop the other day, well, i think some of the loctite got into the actual pivot of the lever cause now i squeez the levers and they dont release all the way. I was wondering if i can take the actual lever (not the whole lever mounted to the handlebar, but the actual lever you touch and pull with your fingers) to clean the pivot without having to blead the brakes

Thanks

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think all HFX-9s have the newer lever pin so it should be easy. At the lever pivot, there is an allen bolt on the outside of the lever body. This bolt has two pieces and runs through the lever, acting as the pivot. Just take the bolt out. The lever will slide out along with a plastic spacer on each side of the lever, sandwiching it into the lever body. Clean with alcohol.

J

JRB

You may even be able to spray alcohol on the pivot and maybe run a piece of dental floss in there to clean it before you have to remove the lever. If you do remove the blade, make sure you don't lose any spacers or shims.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just pull the blade off and clean everything with alcohol or acetone. Then, while the lever is off, apply the locktite to the adjuster screw and let it set a minute or two before putting the lever back on. (to take it off, first take out the pin, then thread out the adjuster screw. To put it on, thread in the adjuster screw a bit, then put the pin in, then finish adjusting the lever.)

MD

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
JRogers said:
I think all HFX-9s have the newer lever pin so it should be easy. At the lever pivot, there is an allen bolt on the outside of the lever body. This bolt has two pieces and runs through the lever, acting as the pivot. Just take the bolt out. The lever will slide out along with a plastic spacer on each side of the lever, sandwiching it into the lever body. Clean with alcohol.
Even on Mags and ofter model Hayes Levers to remove the lever you just gotta get a hammer and a nail/allen wrench/punch and just tape it out. Quite easy, I learned that when I bought some Bonz levers for my brakes, and I have a rear Mag and front HFX9 and had to drill out the lever for thehfx9 for it to fit....anyways, sorry for the thread derail.

Just clean stuff out like everybody else has said.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mtnbkr4235 said:
Even on Mags and ofter model Hayes Levers to remove the lever you just gotta get a hammer and a nail/allen wrench/punch and just tape it out.
Not with newer Hayes Mags, you don't. There's a bolt and a sleeve nut (like a chainring) with 2.5mm heads that just screw out instead of the friction-fit pin.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
punkassean said:
not trying to be a jerk...

but why is this in the lounge not Tech or DH or etc?
Should we make a joke about stosh's balls? Should we let Biggins post a pic of another girl's ass? Will it be lounge-approved then?

It's not that big of a deal, man...it's a bike site!

MD

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
definitely not a big deal, but I feel there is something to be said for using the forums for their basic intended purpose. Especially when we have so many specific forums. I would be down for one big forum, like you said, it's a bike site.