Quantcast

Race #3, the Hunstville classic

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Race number three. The Huntsville Classic.
Best weather yet very sunny tempreture in the low 80’s. I was feeling pretty good.
The Start: I got to the line a little early after doing a very short warm up. The start was on a slight uphill section 25 yards long then a hard right onto a road for 50 yards and straight into the single track. I jammed off the start got into the pedals really quick but as I was shifting the chain and it dropped off and the force of me pushing and pulling popped both feet out of the pedals and threw me into the guy next to me. I got back in(the chain didn’t come completely off it just dropped down to a smaller ring) but bumped with that guy two more times before we went into the woods. This did not bother me at all, I guess shouldering all those trees taught me how to handle this. I was in a pretty good place going into the woods. People started sensing a back up and started slowing down. I put my head down went big ring and pushed, made up a lot of spots here. After a very short distance there was a series of steps I think three but no more than four. The third one drops off about a foot. Now this is where I think I’m a little different than most people and I don’t know if it’s just me having fun or if I’m actually doing a good thing but most people bailed out and took the right line pretty much around the obstacle. I took the center line and plowed right though the center of these in the big ring, that really got my heart pounding and put a smile on my face because that’s what I ride for. Big Air = Big Fun. Having grew up ridding this course was an advantage. There’s a really big sandy climb right after the drop offs and I had to drop down almost into my granny gear to get up and lost a few spots but I knew I could make most of them up. I know every little nook and cranny and without even being able to see in front of me I knew where all the turns, sand, hills etc. were and was able to prepare for them. Half way through the race being a little spent, and part of my game plan, I got behind a rider that looked pretty good and let him drag me down the course for a little while. My buddy was behind me and after about 1 ½ he comes up beside and say’s “ if the guy wants somebody else to pull drop back and somebody else will take the lead for a while.” I told Kevin to hang back for a little bit, or if he felt good enough to go head and take the lead. He dropped back in line. That was a mistake for him. After another mile there was a very rooty, long climb and this was the place I had planned on over taking big boy (he had at least 60 lbs on me). I looked back at Kevin in that ever immortal Lance Armstrong look, “It’s time to go” look, and preceded to drop big boy. Kevin and I started on the down hill sections and I was jamming. No fear. Kevin had hung back to long (this is know as the yo-yo effect and the mistake is mentioned earlier) and started to flag. He scenced it and told me to push so I did. Dropped him too.
The last 2 ½ miles start with a crossing of a pallet bridge of about a 100 yards or so. Twisty and can be very slick, dubbed alligator crossing. This sparked off a fast rolling section that leads into the final few climbs. I dropped it into the big ring a tried to rest a little bit. Bike Mojo’s buddy had a “mental”(he probably saw a bunny, I don’t think he read my last race summery) here and wiped out and Alang stopped to help him out, those guy’s were top 10 for sure maybe even higher, very unfortunate.
I had planed on resting through the next section and blasting up the final few climbs but felt good and flipped flopped the plan. I got to the bottom of the final climb and asked some people behind me if there was anybody close and they said no. The only person that was close in front was another category so I eased up a little and finished the race at about 75%. Right at the end there is a hard right turn and the finish is about 50 feet away. Right as I got to the turn my right calf muscle freezes up and I have to pop my foot out of the pedal and finish with one foot in. I think about 50 people got a picture of my agony. Another great Urrrggggg face. I found out later that the guy in front of me was in the same category he just had the wrong marking. I could have took him but that’s ok next time.
I got 14 out of 49 riders. I think this is my best showing so far because of two things:
1. There was 49 (35 behind me) riders, that’s a lot of people to have to fend off.
2. I had set a goal time for the course having known it so well. I wanted to do a 45 minute lap. By checking the past time I knew that would be in the top 20 and my pervious personal best was a 47.5 or 48 I knew that I could do it. My final time was 45.29 that’s so close that I really feel like I accomplished a major goal. I have set a goal time for next year, if I race, sub 41. I might be sport by that time so I actually have to do two of those but I think I can do it. We'll see.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Congratulations, sounds like you did very well! In a bad way, I'm like you. I like to have fun during a race. It isn't necessarily wrong to take the tech sections and bomb off stuff that others are going around, it just puts you at a bigger risk. Sometimes you have no choice. It will be wait in line to take the "easy line" or pass everybody taking the hard line.

Congratulations again, I'm proud of you. What was it like having people there to cheer you on?

Any pictures?
________
Mercury topaz

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I felt pretty good. They had never been to anything like this and didnt really have a clue as to what it was i did(mtbiking wise.) They said they had a really good time and was impressed at the size of the event. The was about 650 racers. I'm going to steal some of Alan board in a little while and when i get mine developed i'll post.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by The Toninator
Bike Mojo’s buddy had a “mental”(he probably saw a bunny, I don’t think he read my last race summery) here and wiped out and Alang stopped to help him out, those guy’s were top 10 for sure maybe even higher, very unfortunate.
Yea, I came off the bridge well rested and dusted a dude right when you get off the palates. This area is very close to the end and fast and flat along the lake. You can see a great distance infront of you. I looked up and 200 yards ahead I see my buddy Moe. And he had seen me, and knew that I was comin'

Comin' to ya on a dusty road
Good lovin' I got a truck load
And when you get it you got something
So don't worry cause I'm comin
This is the song in my head on this sort of stuff

So Moe steps it up. This course is fast. Home of the Flatlander. Big ring, up in the gears, 25 mph stuff. Moe looks over his shoulder to see where I am (still about 200 yards back but gaining) and BOOM! He smaks a tree and goes down hard. I get there in a few seconds and the dude is not moving. Plus there is this pack of riders with Tony that were coming up behind me. Moe is down on the course and all I can do is quickly flag the riders around him. When you call out to someone if they are OK and you get no answer you stop.

Moe gets up slowly seems ok to ride. Tony finishes 14, me 18 and Moe 22.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Moe is down on the course and all I can do is quickly flag the riders around him. When you call out to someone if they are OK and you get no answer you stop.
Someone asked and at the very last minute I heard go ahead. But I knew that there was going to be help up at the next turn off.
But in your opinion do you think I should have stopped?

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass

But in your opinion do you think I should have stopped?
I was the on telling you to go on, I was with Moe. I was speaking in general if you come up on another rider down on the course, you need to ask if they are ok. 99% of the time you get a reply. This time there was no reply, Moe was busy counting stars. hehehe

I was talking to some friends after the race and they were commending me on stopping. Really there was no decision.
  1. I was not competative (running ~12th at the time)
  2. and it was a rider that I know
    [/list=1]

Now if I was going for top three and it was not someone that I recognized......... I don't know what I would have done. I am glad that I didn't have that decision to make.

Plus I got to sprint from a dead stop with a mile to go and try to regain some of that lost time. I was a passing machine! And I absolutely dusted a dude on the rooty climb to the finish.

hehehe

My whole race came down to that one rider. I decided that I was out of it but I was going to finish before this one dude. He hammered on the flats and I waited for the rooty climb!

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
But I knew that there was going to be help up at the next turn off.
You did the right thing. :thumb: You could have done nothing by stopping but by telling the folks at the next turn they sent a rider back to check on us. But we were already up and running.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
I was just curious. Counting stars, hehehe.

Man what if you were running third and it wasnt a friend? what then?

Don't know.

That decision would be made in a split second on the course. You don't anticipate bad stuff. But what you will find is that accidents happen on courses like Hunstville and not X-Bar.

People get overconfident and get going way too fast on that sort of stuff.

At X-Bar if you went down you were doing a max of like 11 mph. zzzzz!