Quantcast

race @ port angeles

brakecheck

Chimp
Nov 28, 2006
olympia,wa
is there any preregistration for the race the first weekend of april for the fluidride event in pa? i understand sat. is practice and the race is sunday. cannot seem to find any info online yet...-brakecheck:monkeydance:

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Pre-reg can be done throught the Skibowl website.
www.skibowl.com
The form is done and printed, and will be online shortly.
You will still need to pay on site however, and will need to do so with cash or check. Shiloh Cycles in Portland, and Fluidride in Seattle have the forms in store as well.

Also regisgration will be open all day Sat.

Cheers.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I have some question as well. The times of practice/race seems to be laid out well so I got that part of it.

Is there any info as to the format of the racing and what order the classes will be run? I.E. one/two/three runs for your "race" time on sunday? Will all classes be running at the same or will it be one class at a time? Will saturdays practice be on the marked course for Sunday or is it open trails marked for the races? Sorry for so many questions..

I will be trying my hand at racing beginner this year but would like to catch some of the other racing action from a good view point.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
If it's like Skibowl, they'll run Pro/Semi/Expert first and then Sport/Beginner. Pro/Semi/Expert does a second run.

I'm racing Sport and plan on getting some footage of the 2nd run for Pro/Semi/Expert if that's how they run it...and if I survive my race run.

Mark brought up another good question today out @ SST...are they doing a best combined or best-of-two for Pro/Semi/Expert?

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
For Beginner/sport and possibly Expert to have two runs is contingent on the number of entrants. If we don't feel we can complete two runs in a timely manner, we will reduce the race runs to a one run format-
We should be able to make an announcement about this on Sat afternoon sometime.

The one thing we know for sure is-
Pro/ Semipro - One seeding qualifier, and one race run. That's it.

Remember at Nationals you only get one race run.
It is more important to get everything wrapped up so everyone has time to stick around for awards come Sun afternoon. There is nothing I hate more than a lagging awards ceramony when you have to drive a ways home.
This first one we want to run a tight ship. Opposed to trying to be sure of the two race runs, and being there until 8 pm.

See ya there!

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
One run.

That's all we need to do, I'd rather have my result based on one run that stick around until 2 hours after dark. Best of is kinda stupid, and average is just weird.

Expect a large turn out? Is the seeding run neccesary? Just wondering... are you going to qualify X qty of semi/pro riders and not let some get passed seeding?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
They could give me three or more runs and I'd somehow find a way to crash in each of them. I say we just have mass-starts and it's best combined of three runs. That would separate the men from the boys - and most people from their bikes.

Seems like there's going to be a decent draw from all the folks I've talked to out on the trails. I hope it's not just a bunch of hot air and there is a large draw.

People owe it to their bikes to be there.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Snow pack is looking good. Still a bit at the DH start-but 1/4 of what there was yesterday.

We should be in the clear by Tues...

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
Thanks Ride. I was going to be over that way on Tuesday, but I was wondering if riding on the courses would be cool? If not, then I assume one liner and some of the other lines are good to go?

Excellent...although I'm more worried about forgetting my helmet and/or bike. Such is life of the senior-circuit!

...In reply...I too am on the senior circuit....Am I under the correct impression that us 40 plus'ers are going to need to launch the 25' gap on white-nuckle this weekend?

I'm hoping for a safe 10' table landing pad so my joints don't collapse.

FSA/Michelin/
cb

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Excellent...although I'm more worried about forgetting my helmet and/or bike. Such is life of the senior-circuit!

...In reply...I too am on the senior circuit....Am I under the correct impression that us 40 plus'ers are going to need to launch the 25' gap on white-nuckle this weekend?

I'm hoping for a safe 10' table landing pad so my joints don't collapse.

FSA/Michelin/
cb
*this is what I was told yesterday, so if it has changed...blame jerry*

if you are racing sport, you are going down knuck->moto->cakewalk
if you are racing beginner, you are going down knuck->cakewalk

Either way, you are not going to see those doubles in your race run...

\nilehciM\ASF
sd

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
actually no motoguzzi on the sport or beginner courses.

Beginner/Sport-White Knuckle to Cakewalk (all jumps avoidable)
Expert/Pro-White Knuckle to Motoguzzi to Lower Pro Course. (all jumps avoidable as well, just a little slower.)

Everything is looking killer BTW

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood

Expert/Pro-White Knuckle to Motoguzzi to Lower Pro Course. (all jumps avoidable as well, just a little slower.)

aw no railage? it will be fun anyways

Thanks...So I should see the big jumps on my run. hhmmmm...

I'll assess my pain level Saturday during practice before jumping the 25'er.....you know. ..the ordinary aches and pains - like stiff back, sore shoulders from lifting the bag of pancake flour mix before breakfast...then I'll watch my competition and avoid the dangerous attitude "if Simon can do it so can I".

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Remember, we are planning different runs for each of the races, so as you may well imagine, everything will be ridden. There may even be some new chunks of trail to pick from??? Whichever one uses upper pro course for expert/pro's will quite possibly use moto for beginner/sport.

ODS

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
Will there be someone there to upgrade our license if we want to race expert instead of sport? I have a sport DH license.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers

Thanks...So I should see the big jumps on my run. hhmmmm...

I'll assess my pain level Saturday during practice before jumping the 25'er.....you know. ..the ordinary aches and pains - like stiff back, sore shoulders from lifting the bag of pancake flour mix before breakfast...then I'll watch my competition and avoid the dangerous attitude "if Simon can do it so can I".

At your age it's like a 100 feet! :panic:

hackk

Chimp
Sep 13, 2007
nw

No motoguzzi? that's too bad. I was looking forward to that.

No motoguzzi? that's too bad. I was looking forward to that.

Yeah...while I haven't been there in a while, I imagine your worst day at PA is better than your best day at most local trails.

Be there with a smile! It's great to have racing back in the NW!!!

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Will there be someone there to upgrade our license if we want to race expert instead of sport? I have a sport DH license.
I don't know really anything about DH racing and have never been to one. I am planning on giving this a go on saturday and based on that I don't think this is an event with a license. I am pretty sure its an independent race being put on by Simon and the FluidRide guys (and some people from OR)

If you need a license well Im screwed.... :D

For Saturday practice will it be on the marked courses? Or will one liner and lower moto be open for warm-ups and whatnot. Again... Newbie sorry if these are dumb questions

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I don't know really anything about DH racing and have never been to one. I am planning on giving this a go on saturday and based on that I don't think this is an event with a license. I am pretty sure its an independent race being put on by Simon and the FluidRide guys (and some people from OR)

If you need a license well Im screwed.... :D

For Saturday practice will it be on the marked courses? Or will one liner and lower moto be open for warm-ups and whatnot. Again... Newbie sorry if these are dumb questions
you will need a norba license - these races are usa cycling sanctioned and not just races put together just like that. Simon and the guys at fluidride put countless hours into making it work out. If I'm not mistaken you can buy a one day license for the race for sport/ beginner but if you want to race expert you will have to apply for an upgrade after purchasing a year long sport license

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
you will need a norba license - these races are usa cycling sanctioned and not just races put together just like that. Simon and the guys at fluidride put countless hours into making it work out. If I'm not mistaken you can buy a one day license for the race for sport/ beginner but if you want to race expert you will have to apply for an upgrade after purchasing a year long sport license
yo harry, im expecting you and evan to come 1, 2

haha

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
The Fluidride Cups are all USAC sanctioned events.
Thus you will need an annual USAC (norba) license, or a one event license- both of which can be purchased on site!

As they say in rad "No license- No racey"

Trails are in perfect condition, been bluebird out here all week.

All other trails will be closed. Sorry, but it will be enough work already just keeping the race courses patroled etc.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm stoked to see all these first time racers coming out to give it a try.

Don't sweat the details. Bring $100 cash, a bike and helmet, and have fun. If you have questions about start/practice times, etc, other racers will be more than happy to help you out.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I'm stoked to see all these first time racers coming out to give it a try.

Don't sweat the details. Bring $100 cash, a bike and helmet, and have fun. If you have questions about start/practice times, etc, other racers will be more than happy to help you out.
I agree. I raced for the first time last year and it came with a lot of lessons. But, I'm hooked now. So don't sweat it, run the course that you have, and go fast!

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Cool thanks for all the answers. Its my first race and with less then a year on a MTB I don't plan on entering expert or pro.

I am super excited to try racing out. I will try to look it up but what are the prices of the beg/sport liscense?

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
*edit*

Thanks to those that gave me the heads-up. A sport/beg lics is included in race entry. Expert and up needs more.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
For the Year??? From what I found the Liscense was $65 from USCA for a domestic mtb only license. I don't too much about the cost but want to make sure I am covered for the year and bring enough cash with me as I am usually a debit card type of person.

Ive riden PA in the snow and its still fun
That's for a day license. Not sure what the annual license cost is nowadays, but $65 is probably close to correct.