Quantcast

race @ port angeles

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
What a great time!! I didn't think I would ever got to a DH race let alone do decent in my class at my first race. I can't wait for the next one!

Good to meet a lot of new people, had a great weekend and the trails were a blast.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Hey there; I had trouble logging in, so I called Mark; he walked me through the sign-in and it works fine. Instead of using the blue sign in box in the middle of the screen, we went to the webpage and used the long in that's located on the top right side of the screen. From there, it was easy. Great pics, thanks for all the work. Fun time in Port Angeles too; what an awesome turn out. :cheers::cheers:
thanks

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I hate to say it, but the results are coming. It seems that Peter had to go for an event in Alaska immediately following the race. The lack of a published result may have something to do with that.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
I will be receiving results from Hurricane Racing in the very near future.
As soon as I get them I will post a permanent link to them on the Fluidrdie site. The actual results will be posted on the Ski Bowl website.
Please be patient they are coming.

And please do not contact Fluidride about results related issues.
The race was PROMOTED by Hurricane racing and NDub productions. The series is SPONSORED by Fluidride.

Thanks!

Lars

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
Looks like a few sandbaggers in the beginner classes (male and female).
Nothing like a hollow victory!

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Also Mike Estes did a great writeup on www.pinkbike.com

The first Fluidride Cup in history has gone down as a huge success. We had 235 riders entered in Sunday’s Downhill, and 41 racers entered in Saturday’s Slalom. There were 15 pros, 14 Semi Pros, and 3 Pro women in attendance. We handed out over 50 temporary licenses to first time racers, and 47 annual memberships! I have never seen so many first time racers at a local event in my life. Such a cool experience to be a part of, and it made me proud to be a PNW local. Gravity racing is thriving up here!

We would also like to thank Hurricane Racing for joining us in this endeavor, for without them this would not be happening. Petr told me on Sat when we were setting up the slalom timing he had not set that system up in over 5 years! Which was something he had not agreed to do in the beginning, but after seeing all the excitement upon arriving, and feeling all the energy there he whippped it up on the spot.

We would also like to thank all the volunteers who helped throughout the weekend. Some were ODS members and locals, and many were not. I met so many new people who came and showed support who weren’t even riding. And a HUGE thanks go out to all our sponsors who kicked in and made sure we had enough swag to give out a massive pile of Raffle goodies-

Brad of Shiloh Cycles, Transition Bikes, Stevens Pass, Troy Lee Designs, Fluidride, Dakine, Pinkbike

And last but definitely not least all the racers, returning and new. You are the reason we put this whole thing together, and after all the hard work, it paid off to see you all come out and Race!

Fri kicked off after a week of sunshine and warmth with clouds and rain. The foul weather did not deter the Loc’s however as we registered 61 people on Fri. It was great to see all the crafty fenders and rain gear appear out of spare tubes and old numberplates etc. We don’t mind getting muddy just to rifle off a few good runs in the NW that’s for sure.

Sat began with better weather and a huge crowd of people. We were beginning to wonder if we got ourselves in trouble and were going to run out of parking. Fortunately the extra lot we cleared this winter was enough space and everyone had a spot sorted with room to spare. Dual slalom qualifiers kicked off at 12:30 and the course couldn’t have been in better condition. We decided to stick to a format that allowed everyone to qualify to the finals in every category. This allowed everyone a few more chances to get their shred on. Everyone was done qualifying by 2:30 and had time to go eat and do some DH practice before the 4pm finals. Come finals time everyone was looking good on the course. There was a little trouble deciding which lane to pick if you were a faster qualifier as they were so even.

Results will be posted by Fri!

Sunday morning began early to allow everyone a few more practice runs down their respective courses. Pros Qualified first and I think the dirt was the best it’s ever been on Dry Hill to date! I think I say that every time though. After the Pro Qualis, Experts started the racing action off down the selected Pro/Ex course. Conditions must have been great as those guys were posting times that we usually run in the dry. After a quick course change over we were on to the Sports and Beginners. This course must have been a good one as some notable Pro Freeriders were in attendance (and due to a lack of an annual license were required to race the sport cetagory) still opted to race the sport class just to ride the track another time. After the Sports came the Beginners and they ran the same course as the Sports did. Everyone was all smiles after their runs and couldn’t be more stoked. By now it was 2pm and time for the final run for the Pro’s, Semi Pro’s, and Pro Women. Just as the first riders were in the start in true NW and World Cup fashion it started to rain. It made for a slightly slicker course than we ran in qualifiers but not by much. Almost enough to need a tear off.

When all was said and done the first Fluidride Cup Awards were handed out, but not before a massive raffle of boxes of free stuff.

All in all I think everyone had a wicked time and was stoked on the tracks and venue. Nearly everything went off without a hitch and everyone was on their way home by 5-5:30 pm. Not bad for the first race of the season with a rider count we haven’t seen the like of since the last World Cup was held at Snoqualmie pass.

Long live racing in the NW and see you at the next one!!!

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Dual Slalom PA 4/5/08

Pro / Semi Pro Men

Bib # Last Name First Name Place
7 Sternberg Lars 1
8 Northern Casey 2
43 Salesburg Kyle 3
14 Riddle Nathan 4
46 Knight Jerry 5-8
48 Storrar Ben 5-8
44 Nachtra Aaron 5-8
49 Gerrard Brian 5-8
45 Sponsel Chad 9-16
11 Hoch Nathan 9-16
1 Wiering Phillip 9-16

Senior Men

96 Worl Luciano 1
233 Tibbs Brad 2
179 Kruthers Josh 3
208 Miller Levi 4
159 Patterson Matt 5-8
177 Christensen Kris 5-8
81 Huntington Jesse 5-8
220 McDougal Mitsh 5-8
39 Anderson Ben 9-16
108 Splinter James 9-16
146 Gill Chris 9-16
174 Gordon Ian 9-16
190 Hebert Denis 9-16
210 Bernermar Brad 9-16
252 Wald David 9-16
203 Gilsdorg Tyler 9-16
98 Kieffer Jesse 17-32
101 Brent Mark 17-32
138 Reilly Ed 17-32
253 McGuinnis Alexander 17-32
127 Daniels Jaffe 17-32
155 Street Steven 17-32
76 Thomas David 17-32
40 Cox Alastair 17-32

Jr Men

204 Gilsdorf Evan 1
207 McDonald Zach 2
169 Douglas Damien 3

Pro / Semi Pro Women

15 Gerrard Leana 1
79 Steven Chelsea 2

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
June should be awsome conditions. Looking like the Weather in the region will be getting nicer and nicer. I have never raced and didn't really know what starting gate jitters were all about. I laughed pretty hard when Casey said "wait till you have 5-6 races in you... It gets worse" :) I have new respect for the racers at events where there are big crowds. Gotta focus them out.

Looks like a few sandbaggers in the beginner classes (male and female).
Nothing like a hollow victory!
Riding mountainbikes for less then a year and being my first race was beginner the right class for me? I got third and a a sweet cup. I sure as hell am a beginner and I don't think anyone in my class was fast enough to be racing against sport. Non podium times were just above 3 minutes for sport. Atleast Mens beginner (19-39) was above that.

Is this complaint negative for a reason? Or are you always finding fault?

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
June should be awsome conditions. Looking like the Weather in the region will be getting nicer and nicer. I have never raced and didn't really know what starting gate jitters were all about. I laughed pretty hard when Casey said "wait till you have 5-6 races in you... It gets worse" :) I have new respect for the racers at events where there are big crowds. Gotta focus them out.
yeah i crashed about 3 times my first ever dh race due to glimpsing at spectators and my dad cheering me on. focus is key in a sport where you can hardly get away with blinking.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I think he might be looking at finish times and not realizing that there were two different courses.

Riding mountainbikes for less then a year and being my first race was beginner the right class for me? I got third and a a sweet cup. I sure as hell am a beginner and I don't think anyone in my class was fast enough to be racing against sport. Non podium times were just above 3 minutes for sport. Atleast Mens beginner (19-39) was above that.

Is this complaint negative for a reason? Or are you always finding fault?

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
If beginner and sport raced on separate courses good job!
If they did not, winning times in some of the beginner classes tend to fit better in sport.

Nothing wrong with questioning possible sandbaggers. Desul is a beginner and is in the right class...is the winner? That is the only question posed. Will he race beginner again?

If beginner and sport raced different courses then my online observations are null and void.

If you see a Sandbagger, don't be a wuss. Call him on it.

brakecheck

Chimp
Nov 28, 2006
olympia,wa
if i'm not mistaking...if you've never raced before, you are to enter beginner, just because most of the beginners didn't perform to somebody elses expectations(regarding times) doesn't necessarily deem those who performed well as sandbaggers. you can believe all you want. look at paul bass, he never competed and ripped ass before anyone had a clue.brakecheck:bonk:

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
But did he continue to race beginner?
If he did, then by definition he would be considered a sandbagger.

If he "ripped ass" then moved up to the next class he did what every good racer does...challenge themselves and improve.

Beginner is a starting platform, if you "rip ass" then move your self up you are doing the right thing...if you continue to "rip ass" in beginner, neat.

This is the point I'm trying to make -- how many of these "beginner" winners will move to sport?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
The only thing worse than a sandbagger is a sore loser - just saying.

I can see there being bigger gaps in the beginner class based on how that course was running. If you didn't get a good start out of the gate you could easily lose 5-10 seconds over somebody that got a better start. There's enough variables along the course to create even bigger gaps beyond just a poor start.

My point being give it at least one more race before you go blowing the sandbagger whistle.

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
Naw, you should blow it when you see it right or wrong.

As for sore loser- not here, just noticed the finish time(s) and thought to initiate a coversation that might provoke an underlined sentiment that many are afraid to talk about.

Wait, I have the solution! We make beginner like little kid soccer and not keep score (time), that way everyone is a winner and nobody is a sandbagger :-) Yeah, hippie MTB, thats the ticket...

If your time is comparable to sport why would want to race beginner? Would you not want to challenge yourself?

Don't be a wuss...

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Since this was the first race of the season, assuming everyone that raced beginner had never raced before, I think it is a bit early to call someone a sandbagger. I mean yeah maybe there are some fast riders that raced Beginner since it was their first race and they didn't know how fast they were compared to other riders. Now they know and next time they will race Sport.

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
For next time.

The point I made earlier was how many of these "winners" will move up?

That is what this is about...when they sign up for beginner next time will their fellow racers still feel all warm and fuzzy towards them or call'em out?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The winner of Beg men would have come in 22nd in Sport. I'm not sure how that's sandbagging.
There are a couple of questionable times in the kids races, but those are such a crap shoot it's tough to call somebody a sandbagger.

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
CATEGORY: Beg. Men 19-39 START TIME: cat. #16
Bib # LIC # First Name Last Name Sponsors Final Time
241 1st 3.07.82

CATEGORY: Sport Men 19-29 START TIME: cat. #9
LIC # First Name Last Name Sponsors Final Time
1ST 2.44.19

Bulk of finish times in sport:
2.56.19 9
2.57.03 10
3.00.24 11
3.02.60 12
3.02.78 13
3.03.44 14
3.03.72 15
3.03.81 16
3.04.91 17
3.05.73 18
3.05.89 19
3.07.19 20
3.07.46 21
3.09.86 22
3.10.36 23
3.12.60 24
3.12.88 25
3.13.24 26
3.15.77 27
3.16.04 28
3.16.30 29
3.21.71 30
3.24.91 31
3.25.22 32
3.25.57 33
3.25.62 34
3.30.97 35
3.40.98 36

You tell me where he should sign up next time...

climbngruven

Chimp
May 28, 2007
$0.02 on sandbagging.... the only one who really knows whether a person is sandbagging is that person, and if they win enough in their class they'll eventually be forced to upgrade anyway. And in any case the rest of us who are stuck in a class with a sandbagger have a simple solution to the problem: we just have to be faster.

This was only my second race, and I got my ass handed to me in Sport, finishing a whole minute behind the fastest times. If there were sandbaggers in Sport, I say thank you-- even though I was very frustrated with my result, I now at least have a much different concept of what "fast" means, and that was a lesson I clearly needed.

Besides, the best rider is the one having the most fun....

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
Climbngruven quit making sense...And by the way, comendable that you raced sport instead of beginner.

Sport has a very broad range of riders so it is indeed difficult to call out a sandbagger...this class in my view is for the recreational racer who rides at the intermediate level but can "rip ass" at times. A rider should spend a lot of time here before making the jump to expert.

Beginner on the other hand is just that, beginner. If your times are similar to many of the sport riders...move your ass up.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Climbngruven quit making sense...And by the way, comendable that you raced sport instead of beginner.
I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you started 30 seconds after Climbngruven. Personally, I think people who move up too soon and can't run the same pace as most in the higher class (what's the opposite of a sandbagger called?) is just as bad as someone sandbagging. Those of us who are average for the class we are in then either get caught by the sandbaggers or catch the slower riders. Either way it ruins someone's race. But this is always going to happen no matter what names you call people, so I just ride and don't worry about it.

knucklebutt

Chimp
Jan 20, 2004
But mr 3:07 in beginner would not have got in anyone's way in sport.

You are right, it will continue to happen and all the more reason to talk about it.

climbngruven

Chimp
May 28, 2007
I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you started 30 seconds after Climbngruven.
Fair point. But in the first race I entered, I did OK in Sport, and would have won Beginner, so Sport seemed like the right class. But it doesn't matter-- I guarantee I won't get caught in the next race.