Quantcast

Raced my first crit tonight...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
****in ****.

1) Hell of a lot faster than I expected.

2) Started in the back of the pack 'cause I was told "either stay in the back, or punch it from the start and don't look back." That didn't work for me. Every turn had me grabbing for brake as the people in front of me were trailing off...then, of course, it was a hell of a sprint just to get back together. Finally got to the middle of the pack, but...

3) Was ridden into the gutter. Not sure if it was by accident or on purpose.

4) Once I fell off from the main group (after the gutter), I lost it.

Very frustrating. Next time I'm starting up front.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Riding in the back of the pack is very tough. The accordion affect makes you brake and accelerate while the guys up front hold tempo. So much safer up front too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't worry about being in the front, but definitely part of the pack.

Basically, either you are in pack or you're in the rear.

Eventually, you will move to the front as the front guys pull off. But if you are in the back, its bye-bye.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Stay in the top 15 or so dudes at all times. Stay out of the wind until the last three minutes of the race. Look through the people in front of you, and if you have glasses actively turn your head left and right every once and a while to make up for reduced peripheral vision. Don't attack, take short pulls that are within your fitness range and be prepared to jump really ****ing hard in the last few laps to bridge across to a split. If the split is more than 15 seconds up, don't waste your time and set up to bash some heads in. Riding as easily as you can and developing the ability to read the race and know the heavy hitters is key. For your first few crits worry more about your position in the field and finishing than your exact position. Once you figure out the ebb and flow of the pack, sitting in is gravy.
That's always helped me, and it's helped me get a few really dense mtb racers through their first crits, so it might help for you.
-m

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Crit number 2:

1) At the line, I was mid-pack. Jumped out front and found myself at the front of the pack...kept waiting for someone to go around me. Nope. Pulled the entire lap....said "**** it, let's do this" and clipped my pedal coming back around turn 1. Oops! (There's a little bump in the road coming out of turn 1)

2) Sat mid-pack, but realized that I don't know how to move within the pack. Any chance I took to pass people was always on the outside. Wasted a lot of energy and found myself out of position a lot. That killed me. Finished this time around, though.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Riding as easily as you can and developing the ability to read the race and know the heavy hitters is key.
Agreed, try to stay up in the pack, which requires you to start closer up and fight really hard through the first few minutes. The pack will sort itself out and it does slow down. You were probably ridden into the gutter on purpose, it's kind of a no holds barred event.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Best way to move up on the sides of the group is to wait for someone else to go, then hitch a ride.

Taking the inside line on corners is good too, though you gotta make sure the inside lane is open. Often times dudes will see an opening, dive in, only to hit their brakes because they be scurr'd.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
So in Tulsa, I took 6th on Saturday, DNF'ed Sunday.

6 laps to go, I was in the back of the pack. At this point, I knew I could attack on the short climb, and hold my position. 3 laps to go, mid-pack, feeling good. 2 laps to go and 3 guys went off the front. ****. 10sec gap. Half-way through the course was the little climb that for whatever reason hurt most of the riders...that became the point where I knew I'd make a move. bridged the gap there. Last lap, was sitting in...about 5 of us. 2 guys attacked before the little climb. ****. I went after them. Coming down the descent into a 90* left hand turn, to a straight on, sprint finish. Attacked on the decent and was sitting in 2nd. Legs blew up half-way between the turn and the finish. HR hit 202. Once 2 guys nudged me out of the top 3, I turned off the engine. Rolled in for 6th.

Sunday....rolled up to the line after warming up. Totally focused on the climb that I knew was going to kill most. "Riders ready?"....oh ****, I'm in my little ring...."Go!" ****! Hit the climb in the back of the pack. Narrow 1 lane road that was pretty much a wall. Wrong gear, back of the pack..."it's ok, you'll catch them on the straight". By the time I got to the straight, the field was stretched way, way out. 2nd time up the climb, was going good till I hit a group of riders that were sitting and spinning. Cadence dropped to about 40rpms. Got through them, but it was too late...knew there was no catching up. Ugh.

Last edited: