Quantcast

racing (on dirtjumping bike)

S

seth399

hey guys, seems like some of you race so I have question. I race dh/ds but got a dk for dirtjumping this fall. I plan on trying at least A bmx race this spring. It will be on my DK general lee which is setup sweet for dirtjumping, what i mostly do (terrible1 bars, 43tooth poverty ring with poverty chromo cranks etc...minus the 2 pegs ofcourse)
A few questions, will I be left in the dust If i try to be somewhat competitive with this? Also, what class should I enter if I race expert ds/dh. For instance, I qualified top 5 for mt.snow ncs race and Im adapting to the bmx pretty descent. Thanks for any info/comments you can share

ps-sorry for soundin so dumb, ive never been to a bmx race, besides practicing at tracks...:help:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by seth399
hey guys, seems like some of you race so I have question. I race dh/ds but got a dk for dirtjumping this fall. I plan on trying at least A bmx race this spring. It will be on my DK general lee which is setup sweet for dirtjumping, what i mostly do (terrible1 bars, 43tooth poverty ring with poverty chromo cranks etc...minus the 2 pegs ofcourse)
A few questions, will I be left in the dust If i try to be somewhat competitive with this? Also, what class should I enter if I race expert ds/dh. For instance, I qualified top 5 for mt.snow ncs race and Im adapting to the bmx pretty descent. Thanks for any info/comments you can share

ps-sorry for soundin so dumb, ive never been to a bmx race, besides practicing at tracks...:help:
I think you will be fine in the expert class...from what I seen you can jump and all you just have to remember to stay low.....gate starts are really important also...usually the guy with the best gate wins...focus on the gate and you will be fine.....

BTW, I have a G LEE and they are sick.....D

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
BMXman is right. Stay low and get a good gate start. That is the most important thing. Experts have that gate snap pretty much nailed and within the first 2-3 pedal strokes, they are pretty much at full speed. Coming from a mtb background that was the hardest thing for me to get used to. You will have to do a lot of catching up if you don't have a good gate start.

I would tend to think that the Gen. Lee is a bit heavy for a good sprinting bike. I mean, you'll be fine but most of the faster guys are riding alum frames and clipless pedals. Maybe you could try and lighten it up a bit. I don't know how much your bike weighs but my Holmes is so heavy, especially in the wheels and all that rotational weight is noticable towards the end.

Fitness is a good thing to have. Remember, you'll be doing qualifers like in moto, going all out each time. Lactic acid is your enemy. Sprint training is key for doing well, as you already know. Most of all, have fun. Let us know how it goes.

Oh yeah, and you'll have to get a set of pads
on your bike. And I'm sure you already have full length pants and a longsleeve shirt. You'll need those on race day.

S

seth399

thanx guys, thats a real informative!
Steve do I really need pads on the bike, like as a rule? Also, flat pedals arent totally out of the question are they?

R

RaytheHammer

WHOA! I was wondering the same thing! I just picked up a BMX bike geared toward the dirt jumping scene but I wanted to try my hand at racing BMX next summer. It seems like I will be OK on it. Its an S&M Dirt bike classic. Of course the tires will have to be swapped but from what the replies are showing, BMX racing is doable on it :)

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
Yeah, both ABA and NBL sanctioned races require a top tube, cross bar and stem pad on each riders bike.

I don't think you really need to get yourself clipless pedals on your bike unless you're used to riding them. It used to not be the case and you would actually get made fun of if you ran them but, these days more and more guys are running them. I've never run them on a bmx bike and have no problem with riding flats. I will say this though, you get a hell of a better start with clipless. The bonus is watching a pileup with a bunch of guys riding them. Talk about a tangled mess. Ahaa!!

S

seth399

haha..ya i dont want to be one of those clipless statistics! ehehe, ya, Ive never even ridden clipless on mtbs so Id def. start out with flats. IF i get bad starts and hate it, Ill try out clipless. I didnt know about needing the 3 pads...thanks. Do they also make you wear full pading for the body? I have no arm/elbows. I have mx and dirtjumping helmets, gloves and knee/shins i usually wear, can you get away with those?
thanks again

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
Pads are pretty much up to the track. They are not required usually. California usually just requires that you have long pants and long sleeve shirts.

I'd try to get away with riding with a skatestyle helmet but I'd bring the full face just in case they tell you to switch.

It's all a good time though. It's a totally laid back scene with all the kids floating around. It's funny to watch them race in their too big helmets. The MILF's are in full effect too. ;)

Now, learn how to drive your competitors up over the berms. That's the best part!!:D

S

seth399

hahaa...gotta love the milfs :p hehee, luckily Im all set with the contact in the corners, I raced motocross before mtbs...lots of contact, specially off the gate:D

A

a13x

i wanna go to a real bmx track (on my mtb :D ) lets get cracking there sethro! load up that van!

heee you didn't know about the 3 pads thing on your bike? you newb! even i knew that one ;) you can borrow my snazzy ones off my elf doublecross if ya like!

S

seth399

hell no! Ill get some warpt pads:p
Ya, Im def. hitting bmx race with allison in spring though, probably in CT