Quantcast

Racing on hardtails..

cuasidh

Chimp
Aug 18, 2002
santiago, chile
some most say that it's stupid..other may say it's useless , cause of the new suspension system. But what about the feeling of still racing downhill and also be good at that....
what's your opinion on this.....always we are looking to get the last in technology but not always trying to be better on going down..(i'm riding now a demo9, but when i go back to roots and go out with my hardtail, it feels really unconfortable....that's because i don;t like much the idea on hardtail)
here is a pic of a chilean biker, that cleared perfect this big gap on a national circuit race...

leave your opinion about this thing...hardtails v/s full suspension

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
sayndesyn said:
dang... big gap for a race... 2 wheels, 1 love, or some crap I reckon...
That's a big drop regardless of the situation it's being ridden in!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'm actually going back to my hardtail more and more because of the skill it takes to ride one fast in techy situations. I love hauling on the dh bike, don't get me wrong.....but there's something about being on a hardtail, I think it's that you actually RIDE the bike, and not let the bike take you for a ride....it takes more skill and ends up being way more fun in my opinion.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
FlipFantasia said:
I'm actually going back to my hardtail more and more because of the skill it takes to ride one fast in techy situations. I love hauling on the dh bike, don't get me wrong.....but there's something about being on a hardtail, I think it's that you actually RIDE the bike, and not let the bike take you for a ride....it takes more skill and ends up being way more fun in my opinion.
I agree whole heartedly! There is a huge sense of pride once you just finished hauling ass threw a techy section on a HT while passing some fullys having problems. Being able to get intouch with nature is so much better because you feel every bump and you don't have that annoying noise that your bouncing rear wheel makes.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
FlipFantasia said:
and it makes you really smooth when you get back on the squish

yeah, ive noticed my line selection to be much improved since building and riding a HT. Also keeps my lazy a$$ off the saddle..:)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i cant wait to rebuild my ridge this season so i can dh on it. i loved riding it last season and ill probably want something to change it up from my dh bike every so often.

cuasidh

Chimp
Aug 18, 2002
santiago, chile
FlipFantasia said:

yes! that's how i like on hardtail...
riding hardtail it really helps on your tech on DH..in every aspects (jumps, drops, corners, etc...)..
:)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I DH race a hardtail; I do everything on it. It's all I have, until I get a second mtb, a FS bike.

Beating people on full suspensions is a really cool feeling. I feel pretty smooth when riding my friends FS bike after riding a hardtail for about a year.

kohoy

Chimp
May 1, 2006
I do like riding on my hardtail as well... you can feel the ground more easily than on a full.... but I've a question concerning HT setup.... I saw a few ppl using long travel (7") for HT.... how good or how bad is it on a HT? Do I need a specially designed frame so it won't break so easily? I'm currently using Judy XC with dabomb molotov... what is the longest fork I can use? THX

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Certain frames are made for certain fork lengths. Big forks on HT's are a personal preferance. Some people, like Ciaran like them and other hate them. I think a 7" fork is the biggest a hardtail should have. When you start getting toward 8"+ it seems overkill. It seems like that would a lot of movement when only the front is moving and would unbalance it.

Also, the bigger fork you get, the less fun it will be on street and DJing.

I have an azonic evolution 2. They are made for 4-5" forks. I have a 4" fork, but will have a z130 (5-4") soon. My bike (with old bar/stem and fork): http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/My Bike/06 1 28/

I don't know about da bombs (maybe someone else does), but a 5" fork at the most would probably be the best.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Most HT's don't have as slack a head angle as a DH bike, so when you throw a big fork on there to DH it works out OK. This is my .243 with a Boxxer on it which has since been sold and replaced with a Super T.

It does make you a smoother rider. Absolutely.

Edit: One thing I do is run the same headset on all my bikes. This way you can switch forks around easily whenever you want.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Fully riders that have spent big money on getting their bling will tell you that HT's are silly for Downhilling. They get louder after you beat them down the hill as well.

In my experience, any fork over 6 inches is ass on a HT. The angle change, particulary on steep stuff, as the fork compresses does whack things to the handling of the bike. Also most people (despite what they may think) can't do wheelie landings well enuff to stop the fork from binding at least a little bit. this is why so many HT's with tripallaz rip their headtube's off. Try nosing that bike in, love your frame and it will love you.
another setup tip, is to run your bars rotated forward more than most fully riders would. It forces you to ride the front of the bike more, and gets those elbows up.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
SlackBoy said:
Fully riders that have spent big money on getting their bling will tell you that HT's are silly for Downhilling. They get louder after you beat them down the hill as well.

In my experience, any fork over 6 inches is ass on a HT. The angle change, particulary on steep stuff, as the fork compresses does whack things to the handling of the bike. Also most people (despite what they may think) can't do wheelie landings well enuff to stop the fork from binding at least a little bit. this is why so many HT's with tripallaz rip their headtube's off. Try nosing that bike in, love your frame and it will love you.
another setup tip, is to run your bars rotated forward more than most fully riders would. It forces you to ride the front of the bike more, and gets those elbows up.

Trust the words of this chimp....ahh I mean man, for he is truly faster than most fully riders on his Ghetto DMR of Dooom!:love:
And he is soooooo hot right now to boot!:cool:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I ride a hardtail most of the time. Last year I didnt have a fully and decided to ride snowshoe on my DOC outfitted with a PIKE. I was bouncing all over that mountain but had it pinned alot of the day. But i honestly passed a bunch of guys on m3's with fox fortys and gear like that. I loved hearing the "holy sh1t that guy is on a hardtail comment"...

Hardtail's are fun, but fullys are more fun in areas like snowshoe...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
After I busted my knee, I hung up my big bike for awhile. I rode my Rocky Mountain Flow around everywhere for 6-8 months. Street, Drops, Gaps, everything except DH.

Getting back on the big bike this season, I am MUCH better bike handler!

kohoy

Chimp
May 1, 2006
cool.... it's good too see so many HT racer.......hehe I'll do more HT downhill to built up my skills.....

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Hell i've been riding my Yeti DJ w/fox vanilla rlc 125 since december (its my only bike at them moment still waiting for my mythilogical 303 to magically show up one day) and i have to say became a real lazy rider over the last few years riding fullies. i was nervous as hell ordering a hardtail for my 4x bike, but now that i've been on it for 6 months, i couldn't be happier. i feel like its helped me resurrect bike handling skills long since dead. but then again, once my 303 arrives, you'll have to pry my cold dead hands from it to get me off it!

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Hmm, should I bring out my pic of a Kona Scab (cromo DJ frame) with a Shiver fork, doublewide rims (bonus points for 24" rear) and a bmx singlespeed drivetrain?
That sure was an insanely FUN bike to race DH, and I wasn't too slow on it either.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Murphy's Law said:
Hell i've been riding my Yeti DJ w/fox vanilla rlc 125 since december (its my only bike at them moment still waiting for my mythilogical 303 to magically show up one day) and i have to say became a real lazy rider over the last few years riding fullies. i was nervous as hell ordering a hardtail for my 4x bike, but now that i've been on it for 6 months, i couldn't be happier. i feel like its helped me resurrect bike handling skills long since dead. but then again, once my 303 arrives, you'll have to pry my cold dead hands from it to get me off it!
Sounds just like my situation waiting for the new frame.

HT for DH sure, racing no thanks. I have been riding my hardtail on DH trails for a few months now. I can't wait to get my full suspension so I can really pin it. I am faster so far than any of the other riders in the area on their fullies. I feel I have hit the ceiling for what the bike can do. Under braking and very rough sections I cannot keep the bike settled down enough to allow enough contact for braking. This is with picking the smoothest lines. One of the trails I ride is pretty steep as soon as you start to brake the rear wants to lift and throw some rocks under there bouning the rear of the bike upward and the rear brake becomes useless. It has made for some great riding and I have been really working on my skills riding the bike but the time has come to trade it in for my full suspension rig.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Thought about the thread title and have to agree.. for RACING? No. In racing you take every legal advantage you can. The point of racing is to do it the fastest, and a fully will be faster than a HT anyday.

But for fun and/or training a HT rocks.

kohoy

Chimp
May 1, 2006
Wow...sweet HT Rik.....hehe

mtnbrider: how does your fork work out? I'm looking at one used for my HT...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My current one? It's really nice. I just want more a more FR fork. The z1FR (130mm one) will be awesome for FR/DH, but then I can stiffly lock it down to 100mm for street/dh/climbing.

My fork right now is pretty good. You meant the '04 DJ3 right?

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Loveeeee the custom paint job on that kona! :rofl: here's some pics of mine, the second pic was taken after a Night DH Race here in NC, where i just happen to snow like hell at the start of the race.....

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
andrew mitchells (cove factory team) kicked everybodys ass here at a local "dh" race on a ht. There was a short uphill section but still.

I only rode a ht for a couple months and then I noticed that I'd have to get some new wrists and ankles if I'd keep doing that. And as I just started riding a while ago while everybody else rides since he can talk ^^ I was just not having that much fun on my ht. Now I'm riding my balfa and I'll probably become one of these sandbagging dually riders but what ever as long as I'm having fun. And who knows, maybe I'll try a ht again when I get a decent job and can actually afford to have both...