Quantcast

Racing "open" class.... whats the deal?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Who has raced open? Whats the deal with it? Do you need the annual NORBA lic? Is this also the "cash" class? or is that also different? Even if im just racing all the semi and pros, i't would still be a way to race....I'd like to go race Spokane1, but am not going to pay 60 bucks more to get the licsense required to race Expert since im not doing any other Norba's.

Fankyew.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Who has raced open? Whats the deal with it? Do you need the annual NORBA lic? Is this also the "cash" class? or is that also different? Even if im just racing all the semi and pros, i't would still be a way to race....I'd like to go race Spokane1, but am not going to pay 60 bucks more to get the licsense required to race Expert since im not doing any other Norba's.

Fankyew.
I'm not sure about the licence requirment since we never had an open class, but anyone can race it. Yes, it's also called the 'cash' class. No matter how well you place, you don't get any NORBA points for the race. I'm not sure about the 'team' points for WIM though(if they are even doing that this year).

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
I know in the past you could only race in the sport or beginner class with the temp. lic. which is like 15 bucks. They may have changed that policy. A call to us cycling would solve it all.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Don't the Begs and sport run an easier course and the experts and above run a better course?I've been meening to come out and race for say about ten years and it never happens,but I think this will be the year.I suppose I'm a "beginner" and could run in that class. :nuts:

Oh yeah...............Bart aint that fast :D

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
jeepmauler said:
.............I suppose I'm a "beginner" and could run in that class. :nuts:

Oh yea I can really see you in the beginner class :rolleyes: and who is this Bart guy...... hehe.......you know those guys are gonna press you to come out when they hear this :D :thumb:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
jeepmauler said:
Don't the Begs and sport run an easier course and the experts and above run a better course?I've been meening to come out and race for say about ten years and it never happens,but I think this will be the year.I suppose I'm a "beginner" and could run in that class. :nuts:

Yeah Jeff, come on out man! But you know....you'll have to race blindfolded or w/ flat tires... :D

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
What's this $60 you're talking about? Is that for the yearly license? I always get the daily since I never know from race to race which ones I'll go to. I guess this year's schedule will make it easier for me to decide. :rolleyes:

Hey jeepmauler, I'm sure the beginners would love to have you in their class. :sneaky:

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
oly said:
I am..... since no one here knows for sure.... although will he????
Here's the deal. YES, you can race open class no matter what class you previously raced and avoid having to buy an annual license. BUT, it costs more to race open class, like $9 per race more. But it is still cheaper to pay extra and race open, than it would be to buy and annual license. If you place top 3, you will win your money back!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
riverside73 said:
Here's the deal. YES, you can race open class no matter what class you previously raced and avoid having to buy an annual license. BUT, it costs more to race open class, like $9 per race more. But it is still cheaper to pay extra and race open, than it would be to buy and annual license. If you place top 3, you will win your money back!
Hey, Thanks! :thumb:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
riverside73 said:

Is this true for Scheitzer too, or just for the smaller WIM races?

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
trailhacker said:
Riverside, did you confirm this with RnR?
Ok, ok. I was waiting for Oly or someone to email me and ask what was up with the "Open" Cat. But somebody hacked into our email server over the weekend and deleted some of our sh#% so I never got the email if one was sent. So I finally got around to posting the answer. Riverside is me, Eric, from RnR. And I was thinkin' about the "Open" deal, if there was a huge increase in the numbers in this cat, maybe we could up the prize money. Just a thought. We'll have to see what happens.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
riverside73 said:
Riverside is me, Eric, from RnR. And I was thinkin' about the "Open" deal, if there was a huge increase in the numbers in this cat, maybe we could up the prize money. Just a thought. We'll have to see what happens.
Cool! Welcome to the :monkey: Eric.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
riverside73 said:
Ok, ok. I was waiting for Oly or someone to email me and ask what was up with the "Open" Cat. But somebody hacked into our email server over the weekend and deleted some of our sh#% so I never got the email if one was sent. So I finally got around to posting the answer. Riverside is me, Eric, from RnR. And I was thinkin' about the "Open" deal, if there was a huge increase in the numbers in this cat, maybe we could up the prize money. Just a thought. We'll have to see what happens.
Here's just a thought....Why not take a percentage of all open entries at each race and put it towards the open prize money. Like Poker, and top 3 split the pot accordingly. This way RnR is still making money, and the racers are happier to see some of their money either comeback to them our go to the fastest that day. Its always a bummer to see 50+ riders in the Pro/Open Cat.(men) with only a 275 to 300 total pay out to the top 3. When you know each rider payed like 45 bucks to enter. Just a thought.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
two1 said:
Here's just a thought....Why not take a percentage of all open entries at each race and put it towards the open prize money. Like Poker, and top 3 split the pot accordingly. This way RnR is still making money, and the racers are happier to see some of their money either comeback to them our go to the fastest that day. Its always a bummer to see 50+ riders in the Pro/Open Cat.(men) with only a 275 to 300 total pay out to the top 3. When you know each rider payed like 45 bucks to enter. Just a thought.
That's kind of what I was getting at. BUT, I looked back at some results and there are only an average 10 or so Pro/Opens per race. The money that would go into the "kitty" would be the extra money that is paid above and beyond the normal entry fee. So it would take quite a few more "opens" before we could "up the ante."

And Oly, no worries!

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
riverside73 said:
That's kind of what I was getting at. BUT, I looked back at some results and there are only an average 10 or so Pro/Opens per race. The money that would go into the "kitty" would be the extra money that is paid above and beyond the normal entry fee. So it would take quite a few more "opens" before we could "up the ante."

And Oly, no worries!
I think you should throw a percentage in always...10 or 50 riders. The races i've been to, one of which was at beacon (the location of 2 out of 3 races this year) there was 200 to 300 entries in the downhill catagory alone. All paying roughly 45 bucks each. You only pay out 2 classes, Men pro/open and Women pro/open. At 45 bucks a pop you'd think the small percent from pro/open entries only would'nt be a problem. You do the math! It is this mentality that pushs people away from your race series.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
two1 said:
....... You do the math! It is this mentality that pushs people away from your race series.
When we put on our race series, it was harped upon us that we should be paying out %100 of pro/open entries as prize money. If we would have done that, we would have had to take some money back!

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
Snacks said:
When we put on our race series, it was harped upon us that we should be paying out %100 of pro/open entries as prize money. If we would have done that, we would have had to take some money back!
What your talking about is totally different, and to be honest I dont really know what "take some money back" means? 100% percent Pro payback is actually a standard in BMX racing...even at the regional level, and I think is another great way to handle Pro/Open payout! Though thats not what I'm talking about.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
buildyourown said:
I think what Snacks was saying was that the Pro payout for their races was actually more than 100%.
To do 100% payback and throw some money in too, is being generous. I dont think that was what snacks meant. With only 50 to 80 riders per event that would not really be economically smart.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
two1 said:
To do 100% payback and throw some money in too, is being generous. I dont think that was what snacks meant. With only 50 to 80 riders per event that would not really be economically smart.
Uh, ya that's what Kevin ment. We paid out way more than 100% and had equal payout for men and women, which doesn't happen at WIM.

Yes, it's wasn't economically smart, but we weren't doing it to make money, and we weren't doing it for a living.

Snacks said:
Uh, ya that's what Kevin ment. We paid out way more than 100% and had equal payout for men and women, which doesn't happen at WIM.

Yes, it's wasn't economically smart, but we weren't doing it to make money, and we weren't doing it for a living.
DHSpec... /me eyes getting misty...

:heart:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
two1 said:
That was me posting under Snacks from the home 'puter.
We had a set pay schedule for the races we did. We were going to pay out the same amount at every race no matter how many people entered. Your right, it wasn't economicaly smart. Which is why we aren't doing that anymore. I do think we were trying to match WIM, but am not sure?
Oh, I don't think we paid men/women equal? I think we were maybe a little more generous for the women, but not equal? And I don't think RnR should be either. I've heard tons of arguments saying why it should be equal and although some are really good, it still doesn't overrule that the men are 4 or 5 to 1 against women as far as entries go. The main argument made (not the best, just the one heard most often) was that if we paid equal it would bring more women to the sport. I don't buy that. Maybe its just me?
The reason I posted that was because certain people kept harping that at "BMX races" it was %100 payback. Well, if you want BMX pay-outs, go race BMX!?! (and if you want super-x jumps in the course, go race super-x!!! Differnt topic, but still....)When a certain person mentioned that to me as we were giving out prize money, I pointed out to them that if we were to do that, they would owe us a refund?

As far as RnR/WIM goes, here's what I'd like to see. They have a set pay schedule, maybe even published, then they take the money from the extra fees for pro/semi/open and add it to the payout. That way you would have a different prize depending on how many entrants. Maybe they do something like that now? I'm not saying a dramatic increase or decrease from what it is now. Figure out how much they would have to set the scedule at factoring in an estimate on P/S/O entries. I think this might get the money hungry to drum up people to enter the race to increase the potential prize money.
And I don't think it should be "%100". If you think this isn't fair, try putting on a race and seeing all the different economic factors for the basic infrastructure for lack of better term. As far as a national not paying out, that is a totaly different story!

And this thread was about if you needed an annual lisence to enter open class. Question was answered (no you don't need to purchase an annual lisence to enter open class, incase anyone wasn't paying attention). If you want to get on RnR's case about something having to do with how they put on races, post in one of the previous posts or start yet another one....

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
The reason I said something in the first place was because Eric (from RnR) was replying to the orignal issue of this thread and mentioned prize money. So I threw in a idea and my thoughts on the issue. I never once mentioned 100% payback til you did nor did I bring up your race series.

Done.