Quantcast

Radioactive material stolen in Iraq...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The comments on that article are top notch. Comparing Islam to the Nazis, then calling for wholesale extermination of Muslims. I assume they are British commentators as the grammar and spelling are correct.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The comments on that article are top notch. Comparing Islam to the Nazis, then calling for wholesale extermination of Muslims. I assume they are British commentators as the grammar and spelling are correct.
I didn't read any of the comments. Europe as a whole is a complete mess right now. First they let in all the refugees. Now - who would have thought - that there are coming too much (a few thousand of people) every day, they want drastically limit the amount of refugees getting in the EU.

People especially in England, France and Germany sympatise with the nationalists.

And the press seems to just fire this up with headlines like this.

On the other hand:
If the Isis really has radioactive material in their possession, I would be more then scared.

I didn't read any of the comments. Europe as a whole is a complete mess right now. First they let in all the refugees. Now - who would have thought - that there are coming too much (a few thousand of people) every day, they want drastically limit the amount of refugees getting in the EU.

People especially in England, France and Germany sympatise with the nationalists.

On the other hand:
If the Isis really has radioactive material in their possession, I would be more then scared.
The more than scared should have started about the time of, say, Marie Curie. We should simply not be fucking around with this stuff for any purpose.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

On the other hand:
Brits are a pretty racist and hateful people, especially towards other brits. There is no hate greater than how a Brummy feels towards a Northerner. With some reason, they probably can't understand each other.

10 grams of unstable material. The "dirty radius" probably wouldn't be much larger than the 'splosian radius. You'd be dead anyway. The only difference being if you weren't blowed up, you wouldn't want to vacation in the crater.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The "dirty radius" probably wouldn't be much larger than the 'splosian radius. You'd be dead anyway. The only difference being if you weren't blowed up, you wouldn't want to vacation in the crater.
Well, that is some useful news. I don't know much of radiation, so thanks.
There you have it. News sites here in Europe spread that news with theories of "dirty bombs" etc. whithout any clue and get people scared upset and angry.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, that is some useful news. I don't know much of radiation, so thanks.
There you have it. News sites here in Europe spread that news with theories of "dirty bombs" etc. whithout any clue and get people scared upset and angry.
Dirty bombs are a proper threat, but it would take a lot of effort to make a truly effective one. Iridium is a metal, the one in question is probably on the scale of a bb gun pellet. Strap that to a bomb and you are likely to break it into a few pieces and it will become embedded into the ground or some debris. Still deadly and dangerous but only for a small area.

To make a really effective one you have to some how turn it into a fine powder or nano particles and encase it around the explosive and detonate it in the air.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
IIRC there is a sequence in here about a Russian worker stealing tiny amounts of plutonium for years, until the total amount was not so tiny:

As always: don't read the comments.