Quantcast

(([- rainy Thursday gmt -]))

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It was just shy of 90 here in NY yesterday. Today, a high of 79. Bike is locked and loaded for a post work ride.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Pulled the stove last night in preparation for delivery of the new one today. God that thing was gross, I don't think the prior owners had ever pulled it out and cleaned it. Luckily I had the foresight to confirm that I had all of the pieces on hand to hook up the new gas line and was thrilled to discover someone had purchased the kit before me, taken out all of the adapter pieces, and returned it. Some people. :rant:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It was just shy of 90 here in NY yesterday. Today, a high of 79. Bike is locked and loaded for a post work ride.
woke up to a "heat advisory" yesterday. woke up to a "frost advisory" today. It's 51°F out right now... perfect commuting weather. love it.

Sorry to hear it @iarebaboon, 69 seconds sucks... run fast next time!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Sorry to hear about the qualifying thing, IAB. Probably for the better as you would most likely have been right next the lady who carbo-loaded with baked potatoes and tacos then just did that whole shitting-while-running-thing the whole day.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Up early because FU heath!
Another rainy day mean no ride is likely.

RIP Heff . .. what a life.
I've been rocking melatonin lately per my dr. and it's been helping a ton. Takes about an hour an puts me down.

Met with the deck contractor at the new house last night and the slippery slope repair estimate will probably be finished tonight. It really comes down to the building inspector as for how much the repair costs.

Scenario 1: Put up treated joists supporting the rotted joists. This is a temporary fix and the deck will still likely need to be replaced in 3-4 years. Catch to this is that code no requires joists to be treated 2x10 or 2x12 depending on length. the existing joists are 2x8. To install 2x8, the builder needs approval,which means the inspector will be informed that a four year old deck has rotted to point of repair. That will likely lead to an inspection. If that is the case, then we get to option 2.

Scenario 2: Building inspector says joists have to be replaced up to code. Easy enough, pull the trex surface off, and replace the joists. But not really, because the box of the deck is also built on 2x8, so that needs to be updated too. The pergolas are also out of code, so they will likely need to be replaced too. That will leave only the supports bringing it up to the second/main floor (it's a walk-out basement). So now we're onto scenario 3.

Scenario 3: Code regarding deck supports has changed so much in the last four years that how a deck is supported would require the deck to be scrapped and rebuilt. Caissons are now required for the uprights, so that means machinery to dig the holes 4ft deep. Because it's built on the lower patio pad, it deck will have to be pushed out about 2ft, increasing the size of the deck and cost (I think we would eat that slight adtl cost because it is greater than current, which I'm fine with).

The contractor's estimate, from working with Douglas County for 20 years is that #2 or #3 are going to be the end result.

This should make for a very interesting conversation come the weekend once we get the structural engineering report today (likely no issues) and the deck report tonight or tomorrow. Either way, they are looking at having a very costly black stamp on the house if we fall out of contract.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
'Morning! Masters swim before work. My swim is getting better, just in time for no more triathlons this year.

Nope. I qualified with a 3:22, which is hard to do. I needed to run a 3:21 to make the cut...I was 69 seconds short. Dang. Heh...69.

Close dude. Next year.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Literally just got to work. Freaking donkeys on the freeway getting into accidents and ping-ponging off of the jersey barriers. They are doing construction on a long stretch of this particular freeway, it is pretty much like driving down a bowling lane with the gutter bumpers installed.

Last nights group ride was fast. And holy dust. One of the li-ion batteries on my lights is definitely pooched. I can't put the light on the two highest settings or it dies immediately. When I put it on the charger it finishes charging extremely quickly.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Got the deck boards in place and almost fully screwed in yesterday. More of that today, then ride with the local crew tonight. My friend from Bend may be in the area to join us too... crossing fingers he finds a bike on his way through... I'm sure he will, he has a habit of making things happen.

Oh yes, and job hunting. An industry friend reached out yesterday and I'm hoping to meet up with her this week, or early next. She has some thoughts that may be closer to home...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got the deck boards in place and almost fully screwed in yesterday. More of that today, then ride with the local crew tonight. My friend from Bend may be in the area to join us too... crossing fingers he finds a bike on his way through... I'm sure he will, he has a habit of making things happen.

Oh yes, and job hunting. An industry friend reached out yesterday and I'm hoping to meet up with her this week, or early next. She has some thoughts that may be closer to home...

You sure do talk a lot about screwing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been rocking melatonin lately per my dr. and it's been helping a ton. Takes about an hour an puts me down.

Met with the deck contractor at the new house last night and the slippery slope repair estimate will probably be finished tonight. It really comes down to the building inspector as for how much the repair costs.

Scenario 1: Put up treated joists supporting the rotted joists. This is a temporary fix and the deck will still likely need to be replaced in 3-4 years. Catch to this is that code no requires joists to be treated 2x10 or 2x12 depending on length. the existing joists are 2x8. To install 2x8, the builder needs approval,which means the inspector will be informed that a four year old deck has rotted to point of repair. That will likely lead to an inspection. If that is the case, then we get to option 2.

Scenario 2: Building inspector says joists have to be replaced up to code. Easy enough, pull the trex surface off, and replace the joists. But not really, because the box of the deck is also built on 2x8, so that needs to be updated too. The pergolas are also out of code, so they will likely need to be replaced too. That will leave only the supports bringing it up to the second/main floor (it's a walk-out basement). So now we're onto scenario 3.

Scenario 3: Code regarding deck supports has changed so much in the last four years that how a deck is supported would require the deck to be scrapped and rebuilt. Caissons are now required for the uprights, so that means machinery to dig the holes 4ft deep. Because it's built on the lower patio pad, it deck will have to be pushed out about 2ft, increasing the size of the deck and cost (I think we would eat that slight adtl cost because it is greater than current, which I'm fine with).

The contractor's estimate, from working with Douglas County for 20 years is that #2 or #3 are going to be the end result.

This should make for a very interesting conversation come the weekend once we get the structural engineering report today (likely no issues) and the deck report tonight or tomorrow. Either way, they are looking at having a very costly black stamp on the house if we fall out of contract.
option 5: full demo of the deck. rebuild to your liking after you close.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Saw a bear this morning.
Conceded to not seeing the sun at all this week. Im fine with that. I guess.
fkna I cant wait to ski

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

I'd forgotten I had a massage scheduled last night. Got home just in time to eat dinner with the fam, shower and go to massage. I slept like the dead last night. I didn't hear wifes alarm go off, girls getting ready for school, or them leaving. Dogs woke me up at 9 doing the pee dance. I don't think very much is getting accomplished today. Cold and rainy outside. Maybe I'll just take a nap.

I've been rocking melatonin lately per my dr. and it's been helping a ton.
My doc said the same. Melatonin didn't do shit for me. YMMV I guess.

Going to see a guy about building a bridge.OH BOY
I assume this is a euphemism of some sort?