Quantcast

Ramones tire from rim

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Trying to get a tire from a commencal ramones 20x2.6” off the rim (which is a bit wide) to fix a flat. Trouble is, it won’t budge from the bead… even pulling with two hands. Any suggestions on how to get this thing off?
6C30C5C3-C95E-41D6-BDEC-3B401E88CACA.jpeg

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Lay the wheel on its side, stand with one foot on the tire, and then at 30° from that spot, push your other foot down? Make sure to protect the disk or cassette somehow?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Put the wheel on top of a garbage can and give it the beans pushing the tire down.

You could also grab on of these clamps and pinch the tire in. Doubt you'd hurt anything.

If all else fails, angle grinder.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
*or because it's small 5 gallon bucket.

Trying to unmount some fat tyres a few weeks ago took two of us leaning down on the bead.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lay the wheel on its side, stand with one foot on the tire, and then at 30° from that spot, push your other foot down? Make sure to protect the disk or cassette somehow?
And sometimes when it's real stubborn, using your bare foot is best, as boots tend to rotate on your foot when you are trying to step down.

I did a group ride one time where a guy got a flat, couldn't get his tire off to put his tube in, and he thought he was just going to "run out" the remaining 7 miles. When he didn't show up at the next group rally point, I had the rest of the group go forward, went back for this guy. He said it was impossible to get the tire off...took it off, stepped on it, had it off in 20 seconds. He thanked me, as we rode out, saying "what was I thinking, running with my bike 7 miles would have been horrendously stupid"...

Did this again on the Iditarod this year (guy should have known better?) all the way at the furthest checkpoint across the Alaska Range. I usually tell them, "bet you I can get it off", but I gotta start betting some serious shit. It's seriously less than a minute to pop these tires off that people can't get to "budge".

IME, the fatter the rim, the bigger of a problem this can be. For sure can be a real problem with plus-sized rims.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hair dryer did the trick, thank you! Now I have some other techniques to try if ever out in the wild.

CDD50B64-4F84-4214-95F0-E39361FD3D61.jpeg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
And sometimes when it's real stubborn, using your bare foot is best, as boots tend to rotate on your foot when you are trying to step down.

I did a group ride one time where a guy got a flat, couldn't get his tire off to put his tube in, and he thought he was just going to "run out" the remaining 7 miles. When he didn't show up at the next group rally point, I had the rest of the group go forward, went back for this guy. He said it was impossible to get the tire off...took it off, stepped on it, had it off in 20 seconds. He thanked me, as we rode out, saying "what was I thinking, running with my bike 7 miles would have been horrendously stupid"...

Did this again on the Iditarod this year (guy should have known better?) all the way at the furthest checkpoint across the Alaska Range. I usually tell them, "bet you I can get it off", but I gotta start betting some serious shit. It's seriously less than a minute to pop these tires off that people can't get to "budge".

IME, the fatter the rim, the bigger of a problem this can be. For sure can be a real problem with plus-sized rims.
I learned of this technique on a fat bike ride too. Got a front flat when it was really cold, -20°C. The tire had never been taken off in three seasons of running it tubeless. My buddies watched me struggle a bit trying to get it of with my bare hands, but I guess they got cold waiting for me and one of them knew this technique and shared it with me. A fuckin revelation!