Quantcast

rampage, dammit

Sep 11, 2015
Jesus Christ. McFarland has crashed hard on every run. I was surprised to see him up for his run, never mind his second run. No concussion protocol there.
I'm astonished there isn't more talk about this, considering how big of a discussion it is currently in certain mainstream sports. I keep thinking back to Semenuk's run last year at CWX NZ when he hit his head hard on the last jump trying to do that barspin 720 or whatever it was. Then he went for his second run despite the fact that his vision was blurry. They shouldn't have let him drop in at all.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yea, I'd say that if you already have black eyes and your face is being held together by tape and butterfly stitches, somebody from medical should probably have a talk with you.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Semenuk wins! :banana:

Oops.. He has all of the tricks, creative lines, and as much style as Brendan or the Van Steenbergens... I think him not getting first last year was more of a fuck-up than Norby getting robbed.
Super psyched for him to take it this year.

Edit- I wish Aggy could get a complete finals run!

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Yep feel like Semenuk is just a bit ahead at the moment, he is just such a good allrounder. Missed Brendog, think this could have suited him.

Sucked so hard that Aggy went down, he was on a good one!!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Yep feel like Semenuk is just a bit ahead at the moment, he is just such a good allrounder. Missed Brendog, think this could have suited him.

Sucked so hard that Aggy went down, he was on a good one!!
Uggghhh I remember a few years back Aggy had that majorly dipped 360 off that big natural drop- so rad! I feel like he's another one with the style and tricks and an extra level of burliness that should take it one of these days.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Jesus Christ. McFarland has crashed hard on every run. I was surprised to see him up for his run, never mind his second run. No concussion protocol there.
Was surprised by that too. Looked like he was an extra for The Walking Dead on his final run.

This kind of relates to a theory of mine for the media blackout this go around. It seems to me that media blackouts exist solely for the purpose of controlling a message and it seems like the last couple years there has been a lot of pre-event and subsequent post event discussion about injuries, insurance, rider safety, and line poaching cry-baby behavior with some of the competitors at this event.

Maybe it is older age, but inspite of the incredible riding, I'm having a harder time with supporting Red Bull and this event. I thought the blackout was a really transparent way to avoid scrutiny and a discussion that Red Bull should be considerate of.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe it is older age, but inspite of the incredible riding, I'm having a harder time with supporting Red Bull and this event. I thought the blackout was a really transparent way to avoid scrutiny and a discussion that Red Bull should be considerate of.
I think they are considerate of it.

Think about this: only one rider this year came away with a serious injury. At least I think aggy is the only one, I still don't know what's up with sam reynolds.

The entire format is better for keeping that number low, and is a direct result of exactly being considerate of some of those discussions IMO. They even did that segment on Paul B. after getting bitched at last year about trying to gloss over his crash. I think they're certainly trying but at the end of the day, this is still a potentially dangerous event to push yourself in. But that's exactly what makes it so unique and so good. There's literally nothing else like it, and with 4 people getting boo boos? That's better than pretty much any previous year.