Quantcast

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So you hate Spam, and Olive loaf. You have never ate either. Seems reasonable..... You're right I should be banned.
Spam
Spam is one of the common cheap food staples for anyone who is trying to save some cash. It is a canned, precooked meat mixture that is often referred to as mystery meat.

Why it's not good for you: A single serving of spam has about 53% of the recommended amount of sodium. It's high in cholesterol and fat, and it has no nutrients or vitamins.

https://www.learnvest.com/2011/10/good-for-your-wallet-bad-for-your-health-5-cheap-foods-to-avoid

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Spam
Spam is one of the common cheap food staples for anyone who is trying to save some cash. It is a canned, precooked meat mixture that is often referred to as mystery meat.

Why it's not good for you: A single serving of spam has about 53% of the recommended amount of sodium. It's high in cholesterol and fat, and it has no nutrients or vitamins.

https://www.learnvest.com/2011/10/good-for-your-wallet-bad-for-your-health-5-cheap-foods-to-avoid
It is damn tasty also. Well done. fried on a flattop, all crispy, the grease spikes the eggs. A dash of franks. Beats bangers and beans anyday.... No worse then Salami or Bologna....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Spam

it's also bitchin as shit when you're deep in the backcountry for over week

Spam

"has no nutrients or vitamins" is on its face incorrect.

Aside from that, hooray for fried Spam!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
They have gotten better by the year...
IMG_20171013_092606358.jpg

I'm down to three cases worth. Two more are stashed, one in each of my packs. I get more each time my buddy goes in the field, usually three or four cases. I love having these in my bags when I am out, for one I have a terrible habit of making my five Mile hike, an all day 15 plus, two if I get into an emergency situation, I know I have food for at least a day ready and can focus on shelter and fire to start.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I bet some of you guys eat fried bologna too...blecch...
fried Bologna, cut thick, bushed with fake mustard (the yellow stuff and this is one of its few acceptable uses), in between the crappiest sliced white bread. YUM!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MRE have improved and are cheap, but are not the best tasting/variety/nutritious. Also if you are a vegetarian (I'm not but I have a friend in the Navy who is), much to be desired. Also they're not good if you're going to be in the field for a significant period of time carrying your own food. You don't want to carry the water for your food or the heat pouch - that can quickly add up. A dry/dehydrated meal weighs about 1/3 of MRE. Plus there's more trash if you're carrying extras like used spice packets, towel packets, utensils, heat pouches, etc. If it's for an emergency in your car and you don't want to worry about utensils, water, stove, etc it's more ideal.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I dont know...the simple concept scares me to my core...
You'll want a Balogna sandwich after a couple hours of it running through your brain. You will also be strangely compelled to joyfully skip to the market to get a couple of pounds of Bologna. I have a recipe for Bologna Au Gratin. I would gladly share it with you....

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You'll want a Balogna sandwich after a couple hours of it running through your brain. You will also be strangely compelled to joyfully skip to the market to get a couple of pounds of Bologna. I have a recipe for Bologna Au Gratin. I would gladly share it with you....
Thank you, you are of course very kind. But I will pass.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
MRE have improved and are cheap, but are not the best tasting/variety/nutritious. Also if you are a vegetarian (I'm not but I have a friend in the Navy who is), much to be desired. Also they're not good if you're going to be in the field for a significant period of time carrying your own food. You don't want to carry the water for your food or the heat pouch - that can quickly add up. A dry/dehydrated meal weighs about 1/3 of MRE. Plus there's more trash if you're carrying extras like used spice packets, towel packets, utensils, heat pouches, etc. If it's for an emergency in your car and you don't want to worry about utensils, water, stove, etc it's more ideal.

Not sure the last time you looked into "real" mre's, but all that you just listed... Heat pack, utensils etc..... Are all in one pack. The nutritional value of an mre is one pack per day, not three per day. So add that to your equation of total weight. Also, you should already be carrying water if you are in the field for an extended amount of time anyways, one more uses 8-10 oz of water total including the "hot" drink that comes with it. That leaves me with more water for hydration vs cooking the dehydrated meals. Also dehydrating food breaks down the proteins and sugars making them less usable, or harder on your system. Also..... Take into your equation that should you need...... You don't have to prepare/heat anything in an me, good luck doing that with your mountain house dehydrated meal.
Also last time I checked, the dehydrated meals, like mountain house, have all the components in separate packages and are mostly portioned for multiple meals, making it harder to store once you open the package. Mre's are an all inclusive with each item individually wrapped, super easy to use through out the day. As far as waste goes....... If you don't have room for the waste parts of an more, then you should be repacking your bag anyways. Crush them up, roll them up, minimal space needed.

Oh and.... The vegetarian mres are awesome.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Have you tried bear? It's fucking delicious! It's just like ham, except you can make a coat out of the skin instead of chicharones. Just stay away from bear that's been eating fish, shit's nasty, bear that eat berries is outstanding.

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm going to hell for eating a cute woodland creature.
I don't think bears are cute at all..... I have seen what they can do to a person. Also what they do to the inside of a car, home, sheds, livestock, chicken coops....... Nothing cute there at all..... In all fairness, I do prefer to eat the cute creatures like deer and elk and antelope!!!!! Bear does however make the best sausage!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
@sydasti, Plenty of tasty vegetarian options in the MRE menu...your argument, as always, is without merit.
That doesn't mean they taste good or are a good variety. You can get Thai, Indian, etc in civilian camping brands - they do way better vegetarian cuisine in other cultures.

John is a vegan also, so that eliminates most of your choices.

Merit is warranted and correct.

Last edited: