Quantcast

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not sure the last time you looked into "real" mre's, but all that you just listed... Heat pack, utensils etc..... Are all in one pack. The nutritional value of an mre is one pack per day, not three per day. So add that to your equation of total weight. Also, you should already be carrying water if you are in the field for an extended amount of time anyways, one more uses 8-10 oz of water total including the "hot" drink that comes with it. That leaves me with more water for hydration vs cooking the dehydrated meals. Also dehydrating food breaks down the proteins and sugars making them less usable, or harder on your system. Also..... Take into your equation that should you need...... You don't have to prepare/heat anything in an me, good luck doing that with your mountain house dehydrated meal.
Also last time I checked, the dehydrated meals, like mountain house, have all the components in separate packages and are mostly portioned for multiple meals, making it harder to store once you open the package. Mre's are an all inclusive with each item individually wrapped, super easy to use through out the day. As far as waste goes....... If you don't have room for the waste parts of an more, then you should be repacking your bag anyways. Crush them up, roll them up, minimal space needed.

Oh and.... The vegetarian mres are awesome.
When I'm backpacking for weeks at a time I don't buy prepackaged dehydrated or freeze dried food, you make your food on a multi-fuel stove (a lot cheaper than MRE or camp food). Water is available in the field and purified with iodine tablets if necessary on the trips I've been on (or a water filter if required or preferred). A dry meal weighs about 1/3 as much as an MRE at the same total calorie load - depending on the person you'd need 2-6K calories - more than a single MRE too.

I've made calzones from scratch (including the sauce from tomato powder) on multi-fuel stove before with wild peppermint I found as substitute for dried/fresh basil (it's closely related to basil). The only thing I carried with moisture in it was the cheese (it was cheddar as it last a long time without refrigeration - over a week but you might have to cut mold off it).

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Have you tried bear? It's fucking delicious! It's just like ham, except you can make a coat out of the skin instead of chicharones. Just stay away from bear that's been eating fish, shit's nasty, bear that eat berries is outstanding.

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm going to hell for eating a cute woodland creature.
Do you ask the bear about its diet before whacking it? What kind of beer do you drink when eating beef fed bear, where the beef was raised eating bear?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oh dude...only if you never want to sh!t again.

And you forget, sydasti is our resident expert on fucking everything, plus his boyfriend is a Vegan, so that makes him extra cool.
He was my boss and wasn't a vegan when I was working for him.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
When I'm backpacking for weeks at a time I don't buy prepackaged dehydrated or frdepending on the person you'd need 2-6K calories - more than a single MRE too.
When I'm backpacking for weeks at a time I don't buy prepackaged dehydrated or freeze dried food, you make your food on a multi-fuel stove (a lot cheaper than MRE or camp food). Water is available in the field and purified with iodine tablets if necessary on the trips I've been on (or a water filter if required or preferred). A dry meal weighs about 1/3 as much as an MRE at the same total calorie load - depending on the person you'd need 2-6K calories - more than a single MRE too.

I've made calzones from scratch (including the sauce from tomato powder) on multi-fuel stove before with wild peppermint I found as substitute for dried/fresh basil (it's closely related to basil). The only thing I carried with moisture in it was the cheese (it was cheddar as it last a long time without refrigeration - over a week but you might have to cut mold off it).
Umm.... Well first off, I carry a water filter and tabs as I go through a lot of water. I also am all about foraging while out for weeks at a time...... But I must point something out to you. The mre's that John and I are posting g up here and using...... Are not the shit you buy at a store or online. They range from 3500 to 6k in calorie intake. They are designed and packaged as an all day food source. These are not the crap Alpine star garbage you get off eBay. When I said I get more Everytime my buddy goes in the field, I meant I get left overs from military use.
I get what you are saying about the weight of the more vs a dried meal..... But you are forgetting to take into account the water needed for the dried meals. Water is not always readily available when you are out, so keeping water for hydrating is pretty important.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying you are wrong across the board, just that you are not totally right, and are partially misinformed on total nutritional values. Best I have done was 20 days out with 12 mre's. More than enough for the whole trip.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Oh dude...only if you never want to sh!t again.

And you forget, sydasti is our resident expert on fucking everything, plus his boyfriend is a Vegan, so that makes him extra cool.
Oh brother you said it....... I made that mistake when I first shifted to mre's when out hiking/camping/backpacking. I neglected to read the actual nutritional values and thought they were one meal....... Took two pots of coffee and half a can of Copenhagen to poop again

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
MRE have improved and are cheap, but are not the best tasting/variety/nutritious. Also if you are a vegetarian (I'm not but I have a friend in the Navy who is), much to be desired. Also they're not good if you're going to be in the field for a significant period of time carrying your own food. You don't want to carry the water for your food or the heat pouch - that can quickly add up. A dry/dehydrated meal weighs about 1/3 of MRE. Plus there's more trash if you're carrying extras like used spice packets, towel packets, utensils, heat pouches, etc. If it's for an emergency in your car and you don't want to worry about utensils, water, stove, etc it's more ideal.

Fake news! I know because it's white wine in that bottle. No self respecting Euro would have white wine with prosciutto (or serrano, or Bayonne)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Do you ask the bear about its diet before whacking it? What kind of beer do you drink when eating beef fed bear, where the beef was raised eating bear?
You can, but bears speak bear, so there's usually communication issues.

Geography determines their diets, as does season, so you can go off of that.

As for a beer to go with bear fed beef fed bear, Labatt blue, of course.

Attachments

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Oh brother you said it....... I made that mistake when I first shifted to mre's when out hiking/camping/backpacking. I neglected to read the actual nutritional values and thought they were one meal....... Took two pots of coffee and half a can of Copenhagen to poop again
Triscuits and black coffee...best thing short of calling Roto Rooter...

(Frau made me stop dipping...not that I didnt sneak a chew now and then. When she wasnt around...like on the same continent...)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Umm.... Well first off, I carry a water filter and tabs as I go through a lot of water. I also am all about foraging while out for weeks at a time...... But I must point something out to you. The mre's that John and I are posting g up here and using...... Are not the shit you buy at a store or online. They range from 3500 to 6k in calorie intake. They are designed and packaged as an all day food source. These are not the crap Alpine star garbage you get off eBay. When I said I get more Everytime my buddy goes in the field, I meant I get left overs from military use.
I get what you are saying about the weight of the more vs a dried meal..... But you are forgetting to take into account the water needed for the dried meals. Water is not always readily available when you are out, so keeping water for hydrating is pretty important.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying you are wrong across the board, just that you are not totally right, and are partially misinformed on total nutritional values. Best I have done was 20 days out with 12 mre's. More than enough for the whole trip.
Yes but you get the military MREs from your friend, it's a moot point for the average person who isn't in the military. Those companies do make versions for the civilians and they're not 2-6K calories.

And technology wise, MREs are retort packaged foods, a technology that is widely adopted in other countries and increasingly so in the US, so these days you can often buy the retorted food you like the most from your favorite brand for camping if you don't mind the extra weight/cost.

Military MREs cannot be sold to the public. However, the companies and distributors of military-grade MREs make similar MREs that can be sold to civilians.

These MREs differ in packaging and contents like sauces and beverages, but still have the same nutritional value in the food they contain.

Military MRE Full Meals include an entree, side dish, crackers, dessert, candy, and a beverage mix like coffee, as well as the flameless ration heater (FRH), pouch of water, and utensils. Military MREs also include items such as chewing gum, toilet paper, and matches.

Civilian MREs don’t have the same contents as the military MREs, but they are pretty similar. Here is what a civilian MRE contains:

As you can see, civilian MREs don’t contain beverage packs or other extra items like chewing gum or toilet paper, but they do provide you with a great source of vitamins and nutrients for your food storage.

With an average of 1,250 calories and a small package size, MREs are an item that can be easily stored so you can be prepared with a quick, ready-to-eat meal at a moment’s notice.

https://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage/10876/a-look-inside-your-mre-full-meal/

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Triscuits and black coffee...best thing short of calling Roto Rooter...

(Frau made me stop dipping...not that I didnt sneak a chew now and then. When she wasnt around...like on the same continent...)
Haven't tried the triscuits for that purpose yet, will have to add that as a possibility, being this info is coming from the random pics thread I will have to add a results pic...... I stopped the dip in 2012 myself..... Since the gall bladder has been gone I seem to not have the plugged issue anymore no matter what I eat

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yes but you get the military MREs from your friend, it's a moot point for the average person who isn't in the military. Those companies do make versions for the civilians and they're not 2-6K calories.

And technology wise, MREs are retort packaged foods, a technology that is widely adopted in other countries and increasingly so in the US, so these days you can often buy the retorted food you like the most from your favorite brand for camping if you don't mind the extra weight/cost.

https://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage/10876/a-look-inside-your-mre-full-meal/
Do you know anyone in the military at all? If so ask them for some mre's..... Bet you get a case or two. See little known fact, when military here in good ole Merica has a field training, they are assigned a number of mre's.... Mre's that cannot be sent back. Like my friend, when the training ng is over many take extras for themselves/friends. As long g as they agree they will not sell them. They are way easier to get than most think. I will have another four cases probably here in about two months..... Since I started using them what.... Ten or twelve years ago I have only run out once, that was when I moved to Montana and had to find a new source.

It is specially east to acquire mre's when your friend is a reserve.... They always seem to have more.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Oh and for the record..... Those commercially sold "mre's"....... Those are novelties for preppers that believe the world is going to end one day when the lizard people take over and let zombies run wild.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I still have several cases in the shed for the upcoming apocalypse...they are all over 3 years old at this point.
I usually heat them with my Sterno stove, and save the heat pack to out in my sleeping bag at night and stay super toasty. They are also fun when you just barely seal them at the top, let them fill up nice and full and toss them in the campfire to scare your buddy!!!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

The Skittles used to be great in the Wrist Rocket...just sayin...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DM, I don't like most shelf stable food at home. Why would I want food that's less fresh/nutritious, loaded with preservatives, and harder to digest? If you're at altitude and/or burn a ton of calories food that normally tastes bad (like spam for example) with too much salt or sugar is going to taste better because of your taste buds are working differently than normal.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I still have several cases in the shed for the upcoming apocalypse...they are all over 3 years old at this point.
This is a picture of my old neighbour. He was a pilot for the Canadian Airforce in the 50s and 60s in Germany. Here, he is opening a tin of those from his training days in the early 50s. I think these were strapped under the ejectable seat in his plane. I can't quite remember all the contents, but there were some sort of crackers, gummy candy, instant coffee and sugar. All more than 50 years old. some of it still edible. crazy.

upload_2017-10-13_16-23-23.png

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Contemplated going up there today. Really glad I passed. Especially with morons like this around..."it's all about getting out with your bros, crushing some Natty Ice, & shredding the gnar as early as possible so we can get back to the frat for gameday tomorrow! What's not to love?"

Please, for the love of all that is sacred and holy, tell me Chad Billingsley (At least this one...) doesn't exist...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
This is a picture of my old neighbour. He was a pilot for the Canadian Airforce in the 50s and 60s in Germany. Here, he is opening a tin of those from his training days in the early 50s. I think these were strapped under the ejectable seat in his plane. I can't quite remember all the contents, but there were some sort of crackers, gummy candy, instant coffee and sugar. All more than 50 years old. some of it still edible. crazy.

View attachment 126790
If it's that old likely had cigarettes and matches too