Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

This house. Was just aside a Canal. When the concrete wall that held in the levee failed it was pushed down the street and sheered this house off its foundation. Moving it 22 feet behind it on a raised bed garden. After the foundation was rebuilt, the house was pushed forward to its present position.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Taking out the invasive trash...

Barn cats in Quebec and the Adirondacks are a valuable commodity. Owls and fox usually do not risk entering a barn to feed on the mice and rats for fear of getting stomped. Cats however willingly enter a barn and kill all the vermin. No pesticides or poison enter the food chain. Because of Cats. Cats also appear in the wild also. Think of that the next time you drink a glass of milk or eat some cheese. If a dairy farmer shoots a owl I understand.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Barn cats in Quebec and the Adirondacks are a valuable commodity. Owls and fox usually do not risk entering a barn to feed on the mice and rats for fear of getting stomped. Cats however willingly enter a barn and kill all the vermin. No pesticides or poison enter the food chain. Because of Cats. Cats also appear in the wild also. Think of that the next time you drink a glass of milk or eat some cheese. If a dairy farmer shoots a owl I understand.
When I worked at an animal shelter in St. Lawrence county farmers would trap and bring in loads of barn cats when their population got too much. Barns generally present large amounts of food for vermin, and therefor prey for cats. Unchecked, barn cat populations would skyrocket. Dense populations mean disease and fierce competition.

We would get 20+ at a time. They were the most diseased, tore up pathetic creatures I have ever seen. In the winter months most had ears that had froze off. County policy was to put down any diseased animal. They generally without exception had feline leukemia. A rare few would have rabies. To test, house, quarantine, treat injuries before results came in would overwhelm resources. A load of barn cats was generally put down on the spot. As most of the other 'volunteers' at the shelter were doing community service for punitive reasons, management didn't want criminal minds involved in putting animals down, so I had to do everything short of giving them the shot. Was not fun, pretty fucking horrific.

In other words, a few spayed/neutered immunized barn kitties are probably a good thing. A bunch of feral unkempt barn cats live a harsh short painful life.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
When I worked at an animal shelter in St. Lawrence county farmers would trap and bring in loads of barn cats when their population got too much. Barns generally present large amounts of food for vermin, and therefor prey for cats. Unchecked, barn cat populations would skyrocket. Dense populations mean disease and fierce competition.

We would get 20+ at a time. They were the most diseased, tore up pathetic creatures I have ever seen. In the winter months most had ears that had froze off. County policy was to put down any diseased animal. They generally without exception had feline leukemia. A rare few would have rabies. To test, house, quarantine, treat injuries before results came in would overwhelm resources. A load of barn cats was generally put down on the spot. As most of the other 'volunteers' at the shelter were doing community service for punitive reasons, management didn't want criminal minds involved in putting animals down, so I had to do everything short of giving them the shot. Was not fun, pretty fucking horrific.

In other words, a few spayed/neutered immunized barn kitties are probably a good thing. A bunch of feral unkempt barn cats live a harsh short painful life.
I don't know of any Farmers who have been cited for having to many cats. Any form of evidence of vermin however.... If your chickens are terrorized then they don't lay eggs.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
My grandparents were farmers. When I was 12 or so my grandmother set me on a mission. A fully loaded .22lr, a scope and the job of eliminating the feral cats on their farm. I was told they were a problem and she needed my help getting rid of them. So I did my job.

Don't know if it was right or wrong. Don't think much about it to be honest.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cute, lazy, harmless greyhound would like to volunteer to assist with feral cat elimination....

Is that the picture angle or truly large overbite?

The German Sherperd I watch has problems eating from a similar jawline. It gets more food stuck up its nose that it gets in his mouth.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Cats however willingly enter a barn and kill all the vermin. No pesticides or poison enter the food chain. Because of Cats. Cats also appear in the wild also. Think of that the next time you drink a glass of milk or eat some cheese. If a dairy farmer shoots a owl I understand.
Housecats are terrible for farmers too, your story is outdated and dangerous. Thankfully most farmers aren't as dumb these days.

Rodents hunt cats and that's why there's a false perception they're good at hunting them. Their brains are altered in such a way that they're sexually attracted to cat odors:
http://www.nature.com/news/parasite-makes-mice-lose-fear-of-cats-permanently-1.13777

Cats contaminate meat - both in farms and wild game:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20537101

The parasite can cause severe complications in immunocompromised individuals such as AIDS patients and transplant recipients, where up to 25% of patients will develop toxoplasmic encephalitis. Toxoplasmosis is a zoonosis that causes a public health concern in both developed and developing countries such as Thailand. Livestock development particularly in dairy cows of Thailand have been hampered by low production of milk and slow growth rate because of many pathogens including T. gondii.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=11013

Toxoplasma gondii infection is common in many animals used for food including sheep, pigs, and rabbits, and infection in humans often results from ingestion of tissue cysts contained in undercooked meat. Infection in cattle, horses, and water buffaloes is less prevalent than is infection in sheep or pigs. Toxoplasma gondii in tissue cysts survive in food animals for years.

Virtually all edible portions of an animal can harbor viable T. gondii. In one study, viable T. gondii was isolated from 17% of 1,000 adult pigs (sows) from a slaughter plant in Iowa. T. gondii infection is also prevalent in game animals. Among wild game, T. gondii infection is most prevalent in black bears and in white-tailed deer. Approximately 80% of black bears are infected in the U. S., and about 60% of raccoons have antibodies to T. gondii. Because raccoons and bears scavenge for their food, infection in these animals is a good indicator of the prevalence of T. gondii in the environment.
http://www.farmanddairy.com/columns/beware-of-toxoplasmosis-in-venison/302189.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25269422

They also make people crazy over 1/3 of all of humanity is infected thanks to housecats:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127955946

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/07/05/199041322/harmful-parasites-in-cat-poop-are-widespread

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/03/how-your-cat-is-making-you-crazy/308873/

Australians aren't as dumb as Americans, they're doing something about it:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/robots-lasers-poison-the-high-tech-bid-to-cull-wild-cats-in-the-outback

And it goes beyond destroying the native bird life, rodents, and herpes on land:

EMERGING DISEASES HOW KITTY IS KILLING THE DOLPHINS The pathogens of land animals are spreading to the oceans, threatening otters, seals, whales, coral and other sea creatures By Christopher Solomon

http://www.grochbiology.org/LandPathogensOceanLife.pdf

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
new title for syadasti: "i hate everything"
Thinking rationally and being informed is not hate. Cat fanatics are animal haters: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/fred-grimm/article74283292.html

Highlights:
Zoo Miami wants to trap and relocate 200 feral cats that vets fear might infect zoo animals with fatal disease

Reaction among cat people has been fierce, irrational and utterly predictable

Advocates reject peer-reviewed studies that find feral cats wreak havoc among wild birds and small mammals
Random:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
This past weekend, the next-door neighbor's pitbull pretty gruesomely killed a neighborhood cat and I had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing/hearing (think crunching cat bones) it go down. This particular cat for years has wandered through the connected backyards that constitute my little slice of urbane nature. The owner of the pitbull emplored me not to say anything about it and I know she feels terrible about what happened. She surreptitiously got rid of the body of the feline victim, and now there are heartbreaking "lost" signs posted up around the neighborhood for it. Now, I feel awful knowing the truth about what happened but what good is it going to do anyone to let the owner know -- either for the owner of cat or the owner of the pitbull? So, I am staying the fuck out even though it feels shitty.

Anyway.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I like cats, but i still think they should all be killed. Same with crows. I also think people should need a licence to own certain dogs.
car1.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This past weekend, the next-door neighbor's pitbull pretty gruesomely killed a neighborhood cat and I had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing/hearing (think crunching cat bones) it go down. This particular cat for years has wandered through the connected backyards that constitute my little slice of urbane nature. The owner of the pitbull emplored me not to say anything about it and I know she feels terrible about what happened. She surreptitiously got rid of the body of the feline victim, and now there are heartbreaking "lost" signs posted up around the neighborhood for it. Now, I feel awful knowing the truth about what happened but what good is it going to do anyone to let the owner know -- either for the owner of cat or the owner of the pitbull? So, I am staying the fuck out even though it feels shitty.

Anyway.

I'd feel bad but not responsible if my dog killed a neighbors cat that wandered into my yard. Actually a neighbors cat keeps coming into my yard and pissing on my cars. I let the dog out after it. I preferred he just chased it away but if he got ahold of it, well lets just say I'm willing to take that risk. Don't want your kitties getting chomped on, keep them out of other peoples yards.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The idea of a neighborhood cat is that I get a cat, everyone in the neighborhood becomes responsible for it.

Cross post from Eric's Robin Hood thread.

Not graphic, but sensitive cat people and children should not click. The vet lost her job and possibly her license.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I will say that this cat was not an asshole in the way that cats can be assholes. I am smack in the middle of Brooklyn so really any number of tragedies could have befallen this cat -- death by bus, death by cab, death by delivery truck, death by falcon, death by subway, death by rabid rat, death by street sweeper, death by lead poisoning, or, you know, death by giant-ass pitbull, maybe, for instance.