Quantcast

Random question about brake cable routing

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I'm getting a road frame built (linky), so I can put the braze-ons anywhere I danged well please.

Cable routing is going to be pretty conventional. Shifting goes along the downtube, rear brake along the toptube.

Ah, but here's the rub. I'm a reformed 'crosser and I still route most of my bikes right-side-front. Its just simpler than switching my brain back and forth. All of my bikes (cross, MTB) are set up that way.

Will I stick with it for this bike? Don't know, but I'd like to have the option.

So here's the deal. Where do I put that cable stops on the top tube to allow both left-rear and right-rear routing that doesn't look stoopid? Jon tacked a pair on at about 7 o-clock (low left), which may or may not work if the cable's coming from the left lever.

I just can't come up with a good solution. Any monkey-thoughts on the matter?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
recidivist said:
Ah, but here's the rub. I'm a reformed 'crosser and I still route most of my bikes right-side-front.

So here's the deal. Where do I put that cable stops on the top tube to allow both left-rear and right-rear routing that doesn't look stoopid? Jon tacked a pair on at about 7 o-clock (low left), which may or may not work if the cable's coming from the left lever.

I just can't come up with a good solution. Any monkey-thoughts on the matter?
Wow, that frame is sexy. Mmmmmm.... lugs :drool:

Are you saying that you use your rear brake your left side and vice versa? If so, maybe try Nokon cable housing. Granted it would still look a little weird but with the Nokon housing you wouldn't lose braking power with that tight of a bend from the left shifter to the cable stop on the left. I remember one of the ONCE riders used that same setup.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Just like that. Hey, that doesn't look as stupid as I'd thought!

Now if only I looked like that. And had a closet full of dope skinsuits.

Good suggestion on the Nokons. I remember they (Once?) did that once (Once?) to route STI shifter cables under the bar tape to make ghetto Campy routing.

Hmm..

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I've actually got a kindof screwball solution. For a variety of reasons totally unrelated to this question (and related much more to my imminent wedding), I'm actually going to build and ride the bike this weekend --- unpainted.

So I build it, ride it, decide whether I like the brazeon placement. Take it apart, move the brazeons around and add a few more, paint, rebuild.

Straight along the top might work.