Quantcast

Random thoughts

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I'm with ya! It's nice there's so many chicks willing to talk about doing the fun stuff like riding fast and jumping over things! Too bad everybody is scattered all over the country... some days I feel like I'm the only female around in my area who loves jumping. Here, it seems like a big community when in reality it isn't.:mad:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
While we are doing random thoughts. I have 2.

1. Treesaw. Your coffee is sitting in my kitchen ready and waiting to go. No joke. I am the worst coffee penpal ever. I am sorry.

2. Are any of the girls here in the Tahoe area? I'm trying to recruit more girls to race at the BMX track here.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Here's some more random thoughts:

1) How come I can manual over the speedbumps in my parking lot, but not over dirt. :P

2) Redfoxx-I wish I could come jump with you. I bet you could teach me all kinds of cool stuff!

3) Does anyone else have calluses on their hands from riding?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
randomness:

i like my calluses.

my legs are so beat up from riding i look like an abuse victim.

zoey, you should come up to tahoe to ride some weekend. lots of fun to be had. and then i can get another girl to race in cruiser class at the sunday races.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
i totally have calluses on my palms -- one for every finger!

(1) Random thought: I have huge calves. I mean like bigger then my boy, or most boys for that matter. BuIt's a love-hate thing. But they work out well for cycling. (makes it difficult to find shin/knee guards)

(2) Coffee! What is a coffee penpal?!

(3) the BMX track just closed here :( Have to travel farther now to ride one. I need to move.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
more randomness-

I hate the seat on my nomad.

I have a collection of wtb seats, and crappy pedals that I can't get rid of.

Why don't they sell tire levels in bulk? I always end up breaking them.

And my mountain biking buddy wants to go up to downieville in a few weeks, and I'm nervous that I'm not going to be able to ride any of the trails up there, and I'm going to end up holding him back.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
By coffee penpal.... We were exchanging coffees. Treesaw sent me the ever so tasty green mountain coffee. I still owe her.

Mohshee, I'm sorry to hear about your bmx track. Not trying to rub it in, but I live about 2 miles from both a track and dirt jumps. I just got back from a full night of working on my starts. good fun.

Zoey, Are you signe dup to race the Downieville DH? I am! I'm very excited about it. And don't worry about holding anyone up. They aren't gnarly DH trails... or so I've heard. I don't get out of Tahoe much.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I'm missing the 3rd Snowshoe race to do the local 18 hour race on a woman's team. I can't help but think that while I'm in the middle of a 9 mile loop, sweating my a** off in 90+ degree heat in the wee hours of the morning with a light on my head that I could be taking multiple 6 minute runs down a mountain, getting shuttled back to the top every time and having multiple beers with the guys that night.....What am I thinking!!

I have calluses too, right across the tops of my palms.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
zoey said:
Here's some more random thoughts:

3) Does anyone else have calluses on their hands from riding?

Huge ones! And I love them...I hate when they go away in the winter. They're coming back since I've been riding DH more and they get super huge when I ride SS.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Amy-I won't be in downieville to race. BMBB(bestmountainbikingbuddy) wants to go in the middle of July. Have you been there before? Where do you stay? And too, we have been talking about heading up to Tahoe. I've never been and I hear it's a must go place! Goodluck with your race. :)

Am I going to get shamed out of the mudhunnies if I confess that I'm not that fond of my calluses?

Mohshee-you must move to norcal. There are two bmx tracks to race at, and one to just mess around on in my neighborhood. :)

Kim-good luck with your race. 90 degrees in the morning? Ick. what kind of lights do you have for your bike? I'm looking ahead to next years 24 hour race at Laguna Seca, and I need to get some lights for my bike.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
amydalayna said:
randomness:

i like my calluses.

my legs are so beat up from riding i look like an abuse victim.

zoey, you should come up to tahoe to ride some weekend. lots of fun to be had. and then i can get another girl to race in cruiser class at the sunday races.
LOL! I am totally with you there. I wear all of my bruises and calluses with pride!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
zoey said:
Am I going to get shamed out of the mudhunnies if I confess that I'm not that fond of my calluses?
Nah, we'll let you stay. :D

Good luck at all of your races. I am (at least I think I am) recovered from the Hardcore24 that I did this weekend. I can't wait to do another. :help:

zoey--what seat do you have on your Nomad? I have a couple of WTB Speed She's and I love them.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Lights....NiteRider Storm I think....helmet mounted.

More random thoughts.....
1) I can't wear mini skirts during the summer because my tan lines are so bad

2) I'm going through lots and lots of Tylenol and Aleve crashing :mad:

3) Anyone else get rashes from their body armor straps?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Oh, speaking of tan lines! I raced at the Willamette Pass Dh last weekend, and my shin / knee guards do this cris-cross thing in the back, so I officially have very large white X's on my calves. I'll have to get a pic. It's AWESOME. :)

Its good to hear there are other gals out there with weird tan lines who don't really care.

RedFoxx--you know I'm here in the PNW! Lets go ride! Ok, off to Tiger Mtn for some action!

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
GrapeApe79 said:
RedFoxx--you know I'm here in the PNW! Lets go ride! Ok, off to Tiger Mtn for some action!
Definitely. We'll see each other on Tuesday for sure. You, me and StarrBabes should be seeing each other soon since we're all taking Simon's class. :)

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
treesaw rocks and her baby is quite the little pebble.

i like meeting new people in the lift line. except the weirdos who think you want to get it on because you're being friendly.

i get overwhelmed with emotion when i see women and girls kicking ass on a bike. even if they're slow because kicking ass can be relative.

me too, don't like when the callouses go away in winter. my friend lisa always sandpapers her's down. keeps a sheet of the finer grind in her car and does it at the stop lights.

i really like laughing a lot.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I have the stupidest tan line on my ankle! I'd take white x's on my calves anyday. That way I'd look like a mountain biker and not a farmer!

I also have a chain ring scar on my right calf, and two holes in my shin from a pedal "bite".

Amy-Downieville will be the week before. But when I hit Tahoe, we're so going riding!

All this talk of drops makes me want to drop off something. I feel the need to do something epic, or tackle something I haven't done before, just to feel that little rush.

Seattlites-where's the best place to ride in Washington?

more randomness:
sometimes I bring my bike into work even though I'm not riding afterwards, just to have it there. It cheers me up. :)

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
oooh, the best place to ride in Washington--I'd have to say Devil's Gulch or Mission Ridge in Wenatchee. Not much along the lines of drops, but quite epic if you don't shuttle it. Its a 12-14 mile climb, but well worth it for some fast and smooth singletrack. If you like little drops and lots of roots to negotiate through or just blast over, Tiger Mountain is a fun little ride. If you ever come up this way, we'll definitely have to show you around.

I have a friend who took his wheel off when his brakes were still hot and accidentally hit the inside of his leg on it. Needless to say, he cinged some hair and now has a tattoo on his leg of a disc brake. I told him that I'd have paid $$ for that! :)

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Random thought....

Riding without a seat is no fun. Snapped the bolt on my seatpost last night and had to stand up for about 3 miles back the the parking lot. You don't realize how much you use your seat for balance until it's not there.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
starrbabes said:
Ouch! How did you snap the seat post?
I snapped the bolt. Doing basically nothing but riding a flat newly cut bumpy trail. I guess it was just its time to go. It's the second bolt that I've snapped. I guess it's time to invest in a decent seatpost but I haven't brought myself to spend that much money on just a piece of metal.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
tmx said:
i get overwhelmed with emotion when i see women and girls kicking ass on a bike. even if they're slow because kicking ass can be relative.
i feel the same way. there are these two tiny redheaded twins who ride the bmx track near here. they wear matching outfits and full faces and love to ride together. i get so giddy whenever they are around.

i don't know if i say it enough, but everyone who has a bmx track near them should hit it up once in awhile. nothing makes me feel younger than hanging out with little kids with kool-aid mustaches. very therapeutic.
and i get challenged to a race by some little ripper at least once everytime i'm there.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I totally second that. I love love love going to the BMX track (when it was still open). I enjoyed it in a way unlike any other riding. And I love watching the little kids practicing and racing! Especially the "cookie monster" class -- tiny little tykes on training wheels and tricycles.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
the thing about riding the bmx track is that it's very social.
it's like you're just hanging out, but you get to ride your bikes at the same time.

racing bmx is fun too. not only is it soooo much cheaper than mtn bike racing, but you get a trophy. trophies and kool aid mustaches make me feel like i'm 12 and not 27.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Saw the cutest little girl in piggytails race at the bmx track. Just wanted to go "awwwwwwwwww...how cute." Best part, she was totally kickin' ass.

My bmx track is filled with pre adolescent boys. Not so much on the "aww...cute"scale. But they are amusing.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
zoey said:
Seattlites-where's the best place to ride in Washington?
Hey zoey,
Washington is full of great riding places. I haven't even been to the ones GrapeApe mentioned but I love Galbraith mountain up in Bellingham. It's got so much good variety there with lots of stunt type trails. Just depends on what you like to ride because east and western wa are very different in the kinds of trails they have. Give us a shout when you come to town.

Unfortunately I don't have any callouses because I haven't been riding much except going to the Flow Park and going wheeeee doesn't do much beyond give you an adrenalin rush. We're in the process of buying a house and selling a condo but as soon as that is over, we'll be back in the saddle more regularly.

Random annoyance of the week: I got my THIRD pinch flat this week. I am just not learning to put enough air in my rear tire! :redhot: And doing bigger air isn't helping.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
My random thought(s):
I want to go to Whistler but my next vacation time is scheduled for September and I can't find anyone to go with then.

My 36 pound Heckler still climbs like a goat.

If I had $3K lying around I'd get a Nomad.

I hope England wins the World Cup.

That's it for now. I guess.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Superkat-I really like my Nomad. At first I wasn't really sure about climbing with it, but I've gotten more comfortable on it. The top tube slopes upward, and that can be kind of awkward. Not much clearance between my legs and tube, but that's my only complaint. It is so agressive going downhill, i love it!

Other randomness:

recovery days after racing are hella boring.
I ride just the same in flat pedals as I do clipless.
I'm racing cross country next Sunday in Fort Ord
and I still haven't gotten a new seat for my mt bike.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
Yeah I was thinking about selling the Heckler frame and swapping components to a Nomad, but I have a VP Free and go back and forth about spending that much money to build a similar bike that's about six pounds lighter.
Do you have pics up of yours?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I have a Heckler for my XC bike as well and LOVE it! I think if I were to only have one bike, the Nomad would be a good choice. The Heckler is just aggressive enough for the technical stuff but still climbs like a goat as SuperKat put it!

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Well I'm 0 for 2 of actually racing DH.

1st attempt about a month ago...Massanutten....badly sprained ankle in practice the day before.
2nd attempt this past weekend...Snowshoe....race cancelled due to monsoonlike conditions

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I was told yesterday it was bad bike karma to say "just one last try, and then we'll go" after practicing some jumps.

Who knew?

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
The Mexican restaurant across the parking lot where I work smells sooooooo good right now.

Crappy weekend of rain, it rained ALL weekend in Boulder.....sucked. It hasn't done that since last October. Can't say we didn't need it but it still sucks....