Quantcast

Rate my ride

elf 231

Chimp
Nov 24, 2006
at home
-Iron horse quantum frame (just a random chromoly hardtail)
-06' manitou nixon platinum w/ remote lockout
-xt front and rear derailleurs
-Hayes 6" rotors w/ mechanical calipers
-Uknown rims:disgust:
-2.3 continental gravity tires
-bontrager seat post w/ earl k seat
-acera shifters

rate on scale of 1-10 and state what #1 item u think i shud replace and what to replace it with

cant afford anything really expensive either

cirKus

Monkey
Sounds like you want to build this hardtail up freeride style, big fork and all. Easiest, cheapest upgrade would be some good hydrolic brakes, these make all the difference in the world if you are going to do more than simple XC riding. Avid Juicy 3 is a good recomendation for a tight budget.

Rating so far 6.5, keep working on it you have a solid base to upgrade.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
-Iron horse quantum frame (just a random chromoly hardtail)
-06' manitou nixon platinum w/ remote lockout
-xt front and rear derailleurs
-Hayes 6" rotors w/ mechanical calipers
-Uknown rims:disgust:
-2.3 continental gravity tires
-bontrager seat post w/ earl k seat
-acera shifters

rate on scale of 1-10 and state what #1 item u think i shud replace and what to replace it with

cant afford anything really expensive either
hey, elf 231 deleted his thread, or somebody did. hes down to 8 postes

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My first thought would be tires, but if the contis work for you, then have at it. My next concern would be the rims... but if you haven't bent them yet, keep riding them. I'm hard on my wheels, so...

After those 2 things, the only thing left to consider is the brakes. I have hope minis - they are great, but they squeal when dirty and I think they are overpriced. If you're going to pay that much for brakes, I'd go Maguara. Some basic Hayes hydros would probably be fine though, just make sure they are hydraulic, not mechanical.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I dont see why he needs hydro breaks he is just riding xc/all mountain. I just recently upgraded to hydro breaks and yea there good but i woudnt need them if i didnt ride downhill. My mechanical breaks were awsome they stoped me on a dime and they were CHEEPER. I mean hydro breaks are great and all but why buy them if you dont need them?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
For a starter I'd give it a 7 out of ten.
For and advanced rider it would only be around a 4.

Best place to upspec for xc all mountain would be hubs/rims/tyres.
Get that rotating mass down and it will instantly feel a whole lot more nimble and fast. :)

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
This thread is retarded! Why would you care what others think if you like it? Just go to your typical trail, and start yelling down the trail.... "Rate my bike" And see what type of response you get!!!:clapping:
Like I said. It's retarded!:disgust:

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
id agree just about every1 who has rated the bike is a complete moron all the problems they'v been saying is wrong with my bike (especially those UNBELIEVABLY STUPID WASTE OF MONEY TRASH HYDROLICS) is completely not the problems im having,

the main problems iv been having are the weight, size of frame, and hurting my rear on dropoffs.

DIDINT ANYONE READ THE PART OF THAT IM DOING XC NOT DH?

my tires and rims are the least of my problem especially since i weigh only 130 (lol give or take one or two pounds after the christmas season)

my tires are brand new and give me 100% flawless traction, i havent slipped out once especially on mud and wet leaves

my fork is also a brand new 500$ fork and is just about the next step from riding on clouds

and also doesnt anyone think i did any research on geometry b4 i bought the fork??? notice the bottom bar going to the rear tire... its perfectly level to the ground balancing the stress of the crank axle perfectly on the 3 bars which it connects to.

so perhaps u peeps shud do a litl more research...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
and also doesnt anyone think i did any research on geometry b4 i bought the fork??? notice the bottom bar going to the rear tire... its perfectly level to the ground balancing the stress of the crank axle perfectly on the 3 bars which it connects to.

so perhaps u peeps shud do a litl more research...
Are you for real? Seriously, get your head checked and delete this idiotic thread.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Maybe instead of rate my ride you couldhave asked for some ideas on improving your current settup.It looks like you are trying to go in a couple of different directions as far as a build with that bike.Also the geometry is sorta jacked because that is probably too long of a fork for that bike.Nothing personal just an observation.:twitch:

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
Maybe instead of rate my ride you couldhave asked for some ideas on improving your current settup.It looks like you are trying to go in a couple of different directions as far as a build with that bike.Also the geometry is sorta jacked because that is probably too long of a fork for that bike.Nothing personal just an observation.:twitch:
yes, well my initial intentions and still current intentions are to get a dual suspension frame, im think like some kinda santa cruz, so im 2 concerned over that aspect

and im startin to agree with u my approach at the answers i was trying to get were not quite wat it shudv been

as far as the feel of riding with the geometry it feels no different from 2 other bikes which iv rode b4 which was a cannondale f400 and gary fisher genesisters hardtail and both were brand new stock cycles. Bottom line, geometry is overrated.

and id just like to emphasize once more that the nixon is no more than a pureblooded long travel XC fork.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Geometry is overrated? It's what makes the bike what it is! A bike is designed to work according to it's geometry. And when you put a long stem,and a long travel fork on a bike like that it's going to feel bad.

That bike is not supposed to have that tall a fork on it first off!
Get a frame with 5 or 6 inches travel to match the fork and call it a day. Most long travel trail bikes are designed around a 130 to 150mm fork.
What size is the bike you ride now and how tall are you?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Hayes mech calipers are garbage, Avid BB5s or 7s anyday for a couple more dollars. The rest of this thread is laughable at best.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
Hayes mech calipers are garbage, Avid BB5s or 7s anyday for a couple more dollars. The rest of this thread is laughable at best.
dude ur a complete oaf and im gona make replies to messages like this only one more time, a brake is meant to do its job which is to stop ya

i weigh only 130lbs which means these brakes havent even a hair of a problem doing that job

neither are hydrolics neccesary for XC at all

my brother has avids and when going down hill at high speeds the difference is 100% innoticable

and actually my discs ar quite high quality

and my friend u r the one that is laughable

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
Geometry is overrated? It's what makes the bike what it is! A bike is designed to work according to it's geometry. And when you put a long stem,and a long travel fork on a bike like that it's going to feel bad.

That bike is not supposed to have that tall a fork on it first off!
Get a frame with 5 or 6 inches travel to match the fork and call it a day. Most long travel trail bikes are designed around a 130 to 150mm fork.
What size is the bike you ride now and how tall are you?
yes, i would agree, but the thing is i like what it is alredy. But the ride truly does feel great. Its a 21in./XL. I'm 5' 9" and im sure it does sounds large for me (and id agree my next frame is going to be a M) but iv gotten used to it and it really gives u a uniqe feel, lol almost as if u were like riding down the trail on a bulldozer (haha which does feel good on dropoffs though)

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
dude ur a complete oaf and im gona make replies to messages like this only one more time, a brake is meant to do its job which is to stop ya

i weigh only 130lbs which means these brakes havent even a hair of a problem doing that job

neither are hydrolics neccesary for XC at all

my brother has avids and when going down hill at high speeds the difference is 100% innoticable

and actually my discs ar quite high quality

and my friend u r the one that is laughable
:clapping: Right.

I never said anything about 'hydrolic' or hydraulic brakes as the rest of the world knows them as. Why not just throw a stick in your spokes cause "a brake is meant to do its job, which is stop ya." I guess feel, predictability, power, reliability, and ease of service and parts availability arnt in your vocabulary. It is hard to tell the difference between disks of the same size, however the hayes mechanical calipers are built more to appeal to a price point than to performance and thats readily apparent to anyone with experience who has ridden both.

I know bikes are personal things and you read every comment or recommend you asked for as a personal stab. Its not. Im talking from years of riding and personally building more high end bikes than youve probably ever run across.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
:clapping: Right.

I never said anything about 'hydrolic' or hydraulic brakes as the rest of the world knows them as. Why not just throw a stick in your spokes cause "a brake is meant to do its job, which is stop ya." I guess feel, predictability, power, reliability, and ease of service and parts availability arnt in your vocabulary. It is hard to tell the difference between disks of the same size, however the hayes mechanical calipers are built more to appeal to a price point than to performance and thats readily apparent to anyone with experience who has ridden both.

I know bikes are personal things and you read every comment or recommend you asked for as a personal stab. Its not. Im talking from years of riding and personally building more high end bikes than youve probably ever run across.

well iv found out from experience that a stick in the spoke IS quite a reliable way of stopping yourself. I like the feel of my brakes alot they arent sticky or oversensitive and even though they might not work for a heavier rider they have plenty of stopping power for me. When first installing these without any prior experience or directions i had the brake pads, cable, and had it completely adjusted to my bike in a max. of 20 minutes and they are just about they simplest things to adjust and have never failed me. Even better though u dont have to worry about parts availabilty since there 1 piece construction. My brothers discs are 8 in. rather and my 6 in. and as i sed the difference is virtually "indistinguishable". And for the price of hope and avid disc brakes nowaday i cud replace the disc brakes for my car for almost the same price as my bike.

:rant: and ok il try to take those cold stab to the heart one outa ten ratings a litl lighter (!!!I'v worked for months to put this thing together!!!). And dude dont kid yourself all the parts on my bike [excluding frame and rims, (i still think my discs are the best for their value)] are quite high end especially the fork which every1 seems to be banging on, i know the inners of that thing so thoroughly i could take it apart and put it back together blindfolded.