Quantcast

Rate the cheap 29er frames.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
So let's say I'm looking at building up my first 29er (geared, prolly). I'm looking at getting a bottom-of-the-barrel frame rather than a built bike. Why? I've got most of the drivetrain parts and whatever. I'll put together some wheels.

So I need a frame/fork. I'm looking at all of the current cheap offerings. What's the current opinion? Which ones are nicely designed and which ones are just 26ers blown up for big wheels? I'm thinking Karate Monkey, Raleigh, Jamis, Redline, Soma (?). Those sort.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Karate Monkey - old reliable - frame and fork combo - low bottom bracket height - minimal standover. Geared or ss capable.

Qball Cycles - built by a custom builder as his production model - very similar to a KM in geometry, but with a slightly more innovative disc brake set up in the rear.

Raleigh - not available as a frame only I don't think.

Soma - good value - slightly weird rear spacing 132.5mm

Jamis - not sure about frame only option

Redline - ask douglas about his Monocog 29er

Other options.

Haro Mary - available as a complete bike or frame only - should be very sweet and a great value

Zion 737 - $250 from Jenson USA in either a geared or SS version - worth researching.

On One Inbred - sliding dropouts - nice geometry, geared or ss option, great value (long top tubes)

A whole slew of options out there right now - probably a half dozen or so I left out (Niner EMD 9, Astrix Rook, Misfit Psycles frame, etc. etc.)

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
My kona kula 2-9 arrived at the shop this morning and those frames will be available in a couple of months.

Anyone on here located in the PNW?

Nov 4, 2003
It's not that bad, unless you are miss proportioned. I only experience it on turns >90 degress. I also have 180mm cranks. For the faster handling compared to a KM or even SIR9 I'll take it. Also the my fork hits the DT, so a 5mm+ Cane Creek is a definate for the Sussy folk.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Thanks for the low-down. I'd forgotten about the Zion frame.

Yeah, let's say frame (and hopefully fork?) for under 5 bills. I'd love to get into a SIR9, but it's outside the budget.

Douglas, s'that the Monocog or the Monocog Flight? The Flight has slightly better steel in the frame and discs on the complete bike, eh?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I have a '07 Monocog 29er, and they are $470 msrp. Throw on your stuff, and ebay the rest

Flyte 29's are not out yet (yes, different steel & avid mech discs)

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
J&B Importers, (think smaller time QBP) is going to develope their in house Origin 8 stuff to reach niche markets. One of the new products is a frame and fork that is for 29"ers.

It's 4130 CrMo, unicrown, BMX-ish looking fork with a ton of standover height due to it's unique design. (Think Eastern Woods Research)

The really unique part about it is that if you run canti style brakes, you have the option of running either end of the bike with 26 inch wheels, since there are two sets of bosses on the frame and fork. Of course, it's also disc compatible, and SS or Gearie compatible.

Talk about your do-it-all frames!

It's going to be out in the late Winter/ early Spring and should retail for about the same as a Karate Monkey.

They also will have a 770 gram carbon rigid fork too!

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
The Redline Monocog is an amazing frame. Nicer ones exist, but cost double. It comes with a frames, the Zion comes without for the same price but may be a little bit more "fancy".
I rate the complete Monocog as a no-brainer. Would love to compare the Zion. It's matching for is only $65. I'd want the green twentynineinches.com version, of course.

Today the Dutch 29" scene (www.29inch.nl and www.singlespeed.nl) organised a test day. the 2 Redlines present (one off Eurobike, the other mine) got very warm responses. No-one believed the retail prices after having ridden them on the BeNeLux Champs venue.

I envy those shopping for a 29"er at a budget today, the market is night and day better now, I spent a fortune on a so-so Fisher just 4 years ago. If Redlines and Zions had existed back then, I'd have a zero more in the bank today :-)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
J&B Importers, (think smaller time QBP) is going to develope their in house Origin 8 stuff to reach niche markets. One of the new products is a frame and fork that is for 29"ers.

It's 4130 CrMo, unicrown, BMX-ish looking fork with a ton of standover height due to it's unique design. (Think Eastern Woods Research)

The really unique part about it is that if you run canti style brakes, you have the option of running either end of the bike with 26 inch wheels, since there are two sets of bosses on the frame and fork. Of course, it's also disc compatible, and SS or Gearie compatible.

Talk about your do-it-all frames!

It's going to be out in the late Winter/ early Spring and should retail for about the same as a Karate Monkey.

They also will have a 770 gram carbon rigid fork too!
I'm stoked on this one!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Here are some shots that I took from the booth at Interbike. The frame and fork should be available early next year. I am hoping to get an exclusive first test ride on this, stay tuned!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Here are some shots that I took from the booth at Interbike. The frame and fork should be available early next year. I am hoping to get an exclusive first test ride on this, stay tuned!
Cool looking frame! J&B huh....I might just have to make a phone call... :brows:

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
When I talked to the J&B guys at Interbike they said they wanted to elevate the perception of the company above the "Wald basket" level. Looks as though they might have a ways to go on that one, huh? :biggrin:

They also said that they want to use the "Origin 8" brand as a way to differentiate themselves and to develope "niche markets" as a means to that end. As an example: The Scout 29"er frame and fork, the Origin 8 carbon 29"er fork, and an upcoming carbon mustache bar.

Just to remind you all, the Scout 29"er is not due out until next Spring and it can only be ordered through a local bicycle shop with a J&B account.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I talked to one of the inside reps up here yesterday and he is waiting to get his hands on one of those frames.
Hopefully with their inhouse brands already in place they should be able to make build kits for ss,fixed and any geared combination including wheelsets at the time of frame purchases available to dealers.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I realize that I am tilting at windmills here, but ...

Is there a $500 geared 29er out there? My wife likes my Monocog 29er but wants gears AND is very budget minded.

I haven't found anything yet.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I realize that I am tilting at windmills here, but ...

Is there a $500 geared 29er out there? My wife likes my Monocog 29er but wants gears AND is very budget minded.

I haven't found anything yet.
DNA - you might want to look into a Saint Rear derailleur on a Monocog. The Saint bolts onto the rear axle vs. bolting onto a derailleur hanger.

I don't think a $500 price point geared 29er exists as of right now, unless it is more of a Hybrid type of bike.
I think the lowest priced geared 29er might be the Gary Fisher Cobia and I think those fall in around the $950 to $1K pricepoint.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
DNA - you might want to look into a Saint Rear derailleur on a Monocog. The Saint bolts onto the rear axle vs. bolting onto a derailleur hanger.

I don't think a $500 price point geared 29er exists as of right now, unless it is more of a Hybrid type of bike.
I think the lowest priced geared 29er might be the Gary Fisher Cobia and I think those fall in around the $950 to $1K pricepoint.
That is a good thought, but the Monocog has one more thing going against it for her ... it isn't pretty. :banghead:

I suspect she will end up with something like a Kona Dew.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
THe Monocog has an SS rear hub anyway...even if you put a derailleur on it won't do you much good.

The cheapest geared option right now is to find an 05 BM Flyer (Performance can probably still order them), which should cost you $350-400, and put gears on that. The frame is fully geared, with all cable stops and a derailleur hanger, and the rear hub is a regular cassette hub.