Quantcast

Raw taint.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I originally bumped up a three year old Burly thread in the XC forum, but seeing as how no one reads that forum...

Sooo...I ride my Redline Conquest between 20-40 miles a day. I have multiple pairs of crappy bike shorts. In the same vein, I have horrifying saddle sores. No sit bone pain, but damn is the taint raw. I really don't like the prospect of slathering assbutter on myself everyday before work (messenger), nor can I afford to buy 3 pair of 90 dollar shorts.

I never really had this problem this bad when I rode lots of epic XC a couple years ago. I was using a cheapass Selle Italia Nitrox that I can't find anymore with equally cheap Fox shorts.

Solutions? Saddle on the bike is a crap OEM model.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Find a better saddle? Steal one of those big puffy ones off a comfort bike.

Ingrown toenail and a raw taint.... your new year has sucked so far.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Raw taint is best served on a small sliver of rice with wasabe.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Raw taint, add a pinch of sea salt and pan sear for two minutes. Deglaze with some redwine, add heavy cream for a nice sauce.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I got a pair of nike compression shorts to wear under my cycling shorts for long road rides this summer. Worked really well -- except my problem was the edge of the pad was chafing my hide.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Well, I've never had the problem, but here's my thoughts, for whatever they are worth...

If you're job is your bike, then suck it up and buy some good stuff. Do you wear lycra? If not, that's your first step. Lycra doesn't move as much as baggy chamois does, so it shouldn't irritate your skin as much. You don't have to get 3 pairs of $90 shorts... Keep an eye on places like campor and sierra trading post for deals, buy one or two pairs and do laundry more often.

Next, get a decent saddle. I don't know how people ride with crappy saddles, and considering the time/miles you put on your bike, it would be well worth the investment. That said, if you have no sit bone pain, your saddle may be fine, and lycra could be the answer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had major problems with saddle sores two years ago. I had been Riding Flite saddles for years with no problems then all of a sudden I had problems. Switched to WTB Devo saddles and the problem went away. The main difference is that the new saddle is much wider and put more pressure on the sit bones and less on my taint. The other thing I found was to keep my junk clean. Make sure you shower before you ride.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sometimes I feel I've got to
Run away I've got to
Get away
From the pain that you drive into the heart of me
The love we share
Seems to go nowhere
And I've lost my light
For I toss and turn I can't sleep at night

(chorus)
Once I ran to you (I ran)
Now I'll run from you
This tainted love you've given
I give you all a boy could give you
Take my tears and that's not nearly all
Oh...tainted love
Tainted love

Now I know I've got to
Run away I've got to
Get away
You don't really want IT any more from me
To make things right
You need someone to hold you tight
And you'LL think love is to pray
But I'm sorry I don't pray that way

(chorus...)

Don't touch me please
I cannot stand the way you tease
I love you though you hurt me so
Now I'm going to pack my things and go
Tainted love, tainted love (x2)
Touch me baby, tainted love (x2)
Tainted love (x3)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I had major problems with saddle sores two years ago. I had been Riding Flite saddles for years with no problems then all of a sudden I had problems. Switched to WTB Devo saddles and the problem went away. The main difference is that the new saddle is much wider and put more pressure on the sit bones and less on my taint. The other thing I found was to keep my junk clean. Make sure you shower before you ride.
baby wipes are great too! I always have them for an emergency! :poster_oops:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
One man's comfortable saddle is another man's torture device. Lot's of people swear by WTB saddles but to my ass they feel like park benches of death.

Get a hold of several different saddles and try them out till you find one that works for you. Sometimes the SMALLEST saddle is the best to reduce chafing: less saddle = less surface to produce friction.

Good luck and DO NOT post pics unless you are all lathered up in bag balm and there is plentiful lighting and midgets involved.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
When I first got into mountain biking I had a crappy OEM seat and wore boxers and my taint was raw. I bought some bike shorts, and they helped a bit, but not enough. At that point though I decided to just suck it up and live with a raw taint, after all my taint would get used to the abuse, I mean, everyone else in the cycling world had to go through this problem right? Then I busted my crappy OEM saddle and went on a search. I found what I thought would be the 'Taint Saver 3000'.

Thanks to the Taint Saver 3K my taint no longer yells at me.

Admittedly though it's wider than I'd like, and heavier, and I've since found other saddles that work well for me but....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
raw or cooked bacon ?
Burned...

Today before work I put the Fi'zik Gobi saddle from my DH bike on, as well as bought a huge tube of assbutter. The taint was happy! We'll see how it goes tomorrow on a longer day. Danke for the help.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Chamois Butt'r has been good for me. That bag balm crap will drench your saddle and people will know you have a greasy ass. Ride saddles that you know are comfy. Mine is Selle Italia Flite Trans Ams, while others would disagree.