Quantcast

Rear Derailleur Adjustment

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Alright, I've looked through the archives and read a couple articles on this, and I kwas able to adjust my front derailleur, but I can't get my rear one set up correctly.

I can either get it set up so it does low gears correctly, but jumps from highest over second highest to third highest. In this case clicking to shift down once doesn't to anything, I have to click twice, then it jumps to third highest and then I can shift up to second highest. Or I can set it so it does the highs correctly, but jumps from lowest to third lowest. In which case it takes two clicks to get it off the lowest sprocket and it jumps to the third lowest and then I can go back to second lowest.

The derailleur appears to be straight to me, but it is a few years old. The shifters are pretty new, but I've never been able to get it to shift correctly since I put them on the bike.

How can I tell if it's the shifter or derailleur that's messed up? Or if I'm just completely inept with this adjustment thing?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Not to sound stupid or anything like that, but are the shifters and the cassette the same number, ie both 8 speed or 9 speed? If they are 9 speed, is your chain a 9 speed chain or an 8 speed chain? A 9 speed chain is thinner than an 8 speed chain.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
The high/low seems good. I tightened them until it wouldn't shift into the outermost cogs, and then loosened until it would.

I also wondered about whether the shifters might have been 8 speed, but I went out and check that, and everything is 9 speed.

So I guess that leaves bent derailleur/hanger. I guess I'll head on over to a shop and get that checked out. I don't feel like buying a sixty dollar tool right now.

Dh_Addict44

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
bring the chain to the lowest gear ring. then start shifting up. if its not going up then go to the barrell adjuster, you might have on the part of the derailer where the cable goes in or on your shifter. if its on your derailer and you want the chain to go up a ring then turn the adjuster towards the rim. and if you want it to jump down then turn it towards you. if its not that then put the chain in the lowest gear and release all the tension. then take the tension back again and tighten it. It should fix the problem