Quantcast

rear hubs

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Maybe he has that Aaron Chase setup where there are only 6/7 gears and the smaller cogs are replaced with a spacer the same size that the cog would be. So you shift down onto the smooth spacer, which the chain just slides over, and then you shift beack up into a cog when you want to pedal.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
Maybe he has that Aaron Chase setup where there are only 6/7 gears and the smaller cogs are replaced with a spacer the same size that the cog would be. So you shift down onto the smooth spacer, which the chain just slides over, and then you shift beack up into a cog when you want to pedal.
hey that is a good plan! but how does it work, ie how does they chain stay on the cog if there arnt any teeth?

:D :cool: :)

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Ok here is a crappy little picture I made to illustrate the concept.
When you are on the toothed cogs, it works just like a normal hub. If you want to do the backwards thing, you go to the smallest cog (number 6), and then you shift higher (right) once again. Instead of there being another cog, it just shifts onto this smooth spacer. When the chain is on the spacer, there are no teeth to grab the chain and engage it, so the hub moves, but the chain just slides over it.

Attachments

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
he could have used a bmx freecoaster hub. lets you ride fakie without pedaling backwards, but engages whe you go forwards.

according to ben@unreal he used the idea with the spacers tho.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I don't see the neccesity of that set-up. It just seems like it would be more of a pain. What if you need to get an extra pedal in or something. It's not that hard to ride fakie and pedal backwards.
I have noticed though, mountain bikers when they turn out of fakie seem to use their brake. Whereas BMX riders turn the front wheel quickly and apply force to the pedals. So in that sense 26" riders can get away with running in full coast mode because they have far superior brakes on their bikes.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Word, sideways you know whats up. But you did bring up another point that I had not realized before. If you have a really poor chainline whenever you backpedal the chain drops a ring or two. So get a good chainline/proper front sprocket, and keep your der. adjusted properly. Than you can backpedal like a man.:)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
Ok here is a crappy little picture I made to illustrate the concept.
When you are on the toothed cogs, it works just like a normal hub. If you want to do the backwards thing, you go to the smallest cog (number 6), and then you shift higher (right) once again. Instead of there being another cog, it just shifts onto this smooth spacer. When the chain is on the spacer, there are no teeth to grab the chain and engage it, so the hub moves, but the chain just slides over it.

yah so how do you shift back up? seems to me it wouldnt work to well....

i think ill just stick with pedal backs..

:D

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
yah so how do you shift back up? seems to me it wouldnt work to well....

:D
You press the upshift button on your shifter. Have you ever ridden a bike with gears?

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I would agree MonkeyB. It seems like it would not work great. I'm sure if you just pedalled slowly and shifted it would be alright. But I don't know if you could do it quickly. I could be wrong, I would never try the set-up.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Originally posted by jhusktrials
I would agree MonkeyB. It seems like it would not work great. I'm sure if you just pedalled slowly and shifted it would be alright. But I don't know if you could do it quickly. I could be wrong, I would never try the set-up.
thats exactly what i was trying to say!

thank you