Quantcast

Rear shock springs

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey look at that it's a trifecta...

How does increasing spring rate affect rebound? I would imagine it effectively speeds it up, correct?

I just acquired an Avy shock that rebounds too slow with a 400lb spring. It came with a 550lb spring but that spring was too long (2.8" coil on a 2.5" shock). I had to wrestle with it to get it off and measure clearance, and I don't want to do that again in reverse. Right now a revalve is inevitable but if bumping up to a spring rate that's right for my weight (should be 500 or 550) will help me avoid that, I'm all for it. The spring right now is covered in ghetto spring compressors (aka zip ties).

If I just buy a new spring, a vivid should have clearance, but it only comes in 2.5/2.75. I don't want to have the same terribleness as above, but would that spring work on my shock?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
How does increasing spring rate affect rebound? I would imagine it effectively speeds it up, correct?
You would be correct. A stiffer spring takes more damping force to maintain a constant damping ratio. So, if you don't touch the rebound damping, putting a stiffer spring on there will speed it up.