Quantcast

rear tire rubs frame

mnmacd

Chimp
Jun 18, 2011
bangor,ME
The issue I have here is when I pedal I see the rear tire hit the left side of the frame it also makes a humming sort of sound.... It occurs more so when going uphill.... I did check the chain and seat stays they seem ok, could it be anything else...

the bike is a Dback response xe....

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
usually the tire is too big for the frame, or your wheel isnt tru enough.. some frames (esp. older ones), as as friendly with big tires.

its sort of a flip it upside down or put it on a stand, and use common sense.. its really not that hard, just take a peek see and see whats going on back there.

edit:
now that i also think about it, your dish could be off too. you can also eyeball that when youve got your bike upside down or in a stand

Last edited:

mnmacd

Chimp
Jun 18, 2011
bangor,ME
usually the tire is too big for the frame, or your wheel isnt tru enough.. some frames (esp. older ones), as as friendly with big tires.

its sort of a flip it upside down or put it on a stand, and use common sense.. its really not that hard, just take a peek see and see whats going on back there.

edit:
now that i also think about it, your dish could be off too. you can also eyeball that when youve got your bike upside down or in a stand

Its.the same tire i bought the bike with. :ve ridden it three times since it came back from dicks sporting goods. 1st and 2 nd day it was fine, 3rd day it started rubbing and i parked it in the garage..

CarterCrew

Chimp
Oct 20, 2013
I have a similar problem with my bike, what I found (and haven't fixed yet) is a broken axle tube. Mine only rubs when cranking hard on a climb.

I took the wheel off on the trail (quick release) and I could pull the tube ends apart enough to see the bearings. When I put it back together I set the gear side back further so the wheel was almost rubbing on that side, now when cranking hard it has to pull the wheel that much further before it rubs the frame.

I guess I should replace the axle but the bike shop I took it to was more interested in selling me a new wheel or a new bike.

trailbildr

Chimp
Aug 14, 2012
Take it to a proper bike shop and have them dish the wheel over, replace the broken axle (if they know how to do that anymore) or buy a new wheel.

Welcome to mtn biking. Stuff breaks.

mk