Quantcast

recommend some ho' made frozen lunches

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I never seem to have time to prepare lunch the night before or the morning of, but frozen stuff seems to work great. if I forget to bring my lunch to work, it stays frozen and can be used at a later date.

a few months ago we had a bbq/party and I was left with a big bowl of bean/corn salad and a bunch of chicken. I cooked the chicken and made burritos with it and the salad, wrapping both up in flour tortillas with some added cheese. these worked great.

I would like to make a bunch more of these as well as some other items. only, I can't think of too many things that will work.

well, so far, asides from the burritos I have come up w/ various types of chillis.

any other suggestions for items that will work well frozen?

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
This doesn't really answer your question but I make a weeks worth of lunches on Sunday (like a big pot of chilli), and I'm set for the week.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
pnj said:
any other suggestions for items that will work well frozen?
Pasta sauce. Especially homemade. I make it by the crock-pot, and freeze extra portions. I guess you would still have to boil the pasta ahead of time.

What works for me is things I cook for dinner during the week, I make more than enough that night of things that will keep in the fridge for a few days, and bring the leftovers in for lunch on different days. Friday's I order out - couple of slices, sammwich, or chinese.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
when I cook a large meal, I definitly take or freeze the left overs for later...

can you freeze pasta? seems like that would be weird. doesn't matter much really, I'm not a big pasta fan..:)

how does rice work when frozen? seems like it may get weird....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Crazy Sweeper said:
This doesn't really answer your question but I make a weeks worth of lunches on Sunday (like a big pot of chilli), and I'm set for the week.
what do you make besides chilli. I think chilli would work great frozen.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
pnj said:
when I cook a large meal, I definitly take or freeze the left overs for later...

can you freeze pasta? seems like that would be weird. doesn't matter much really, I'm not a big pasta fan..:)

how does rice work when frozen? seems like it may get weird....
Frozen pasta would defintely be weird. Maybe not if it was homemade mac-n-cheese, or some sort of casserole. Lasagna? How about the microwaveable minute rice? Or frozen meatballs and sauce? Just reheat and bring in a roll or some italian bread. Do you make your own soups?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Crazy Sweeper said:
We do the same. We find that if we are cooking every sunday then we don't really need to freeze as the food should stay good for 5 days in the fridge in a tupperware.

But, soups work great frozen, chili (as you found out) is a winner, pasta does work frozen as well.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I make my own chilli, and sometimes soups. but not in the summer when it's all hot outside..:)

one thing I like about freezing my meals is, I often seem to forget to bring them. this way, they don't go bad.

the frozen burritos I did months ago. I still have some left.:thumb:

I need to start bring lunch everyday though, so I thought if I made a bunch of different things, I wouldn't have to eat say, burritos, for 2 months strait...:)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Chili and Soup both work well frozen. I have a good Zuccini soup recipe and a couple of tasty chili recipes as well. Pasta and rice don't really freeze too well, but you could always bring in a box of minute rice and use it in a pinch.

Other frozen foods...
eggplant parm.
lasagne
homemade mac-n-cheese
scalloped potatos with ham

As for summer foods, I generally eat random amounts of fresh fruits and veggies with yogurt & cottage cheese or sandwiches.