Quantcast

recommendations for DH bars? (setup/ sizing help)

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
a picture to show my setup

the reason for this thread is because my Commy feels a tad small in the cockpit area.. and bars i believe play a huge part in how your bike handles/ feels.

i bought the chromag OSX in kamloops, and kept the bars bolted on because it was more of a memorial roadtrip item..

my bud has renthal bars on his makulu with much lower rise and less sweep(i think) and i enjoyed the more straight flat feel.

any of you guys used to use, or still using OSX bars? what bars do you guys use?

would love to get knowledge dropped

thanks guys :thumb:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Renthal Fatbars, 10mm rise. Renthal direct mount stem, about 25mm of Spacers under the stem. I still feel, that my front is a little low. Therefore I will mount a 30mm rise version of the fatbar tonight. Let's see how much of spacers I need afterwards.:thumb:

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If you want to get your bike roomier, get a wider bar if you can get away with it. The other thing might be a longer stem.
Or an offset-headset.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still think the straighter the better for DH, I think mine are five back and five up and five back and four up on the DH bikes. I find with the straighter bar you are almost forced to ride elbows out and find it easier getting through the chop. People jump on my bike and hate it but I've run pretty much every shape of bar and settled on low back/up sweep as my fav.

I tried 5deg bars for XC and it sucks, your hands die in no time so I run 7 or eight degrees on that.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
If your bike feels too small, you have many issues at hand but one is too much rise at the stem. Swinging-arc of the stem gets thrown out when the rise begins to shoot skyward.
yeah.. i have a large so idk if its me or if that year Commy ran somewhat smallish.. and i only have one spacer (1/8th) under my stem

If you want to get your bike roomier, get a wider bar if you can get away with it. The other thing might be a longer stem.
Or an offset-headset.
my OSX are uncut (780mm i believe?)

I still think the straighter the better for DH, I think mine are five back and five up and five back and four up on the DH bikes. I find with the straighter bar you are almost forced to ride elbows out and find it easier getting through the chop. People jump on my bike and hate it but I've run pretty much every shape of bar and settled on low back/up sweep as my fav.

I tried 5deg bars for XC and it sucks, your hands die in no time so I run 7 or eight degrees on that.
thanks.. any recommendations?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The only five degree backsweep bars I know of are the Controltech Venom which seem like a good bar but the graphics are in odd spots so you have to use a tape measure to get them centred and the other is the K9 10mm rise bar but I can't find them listed anywhere. People seem to hate you if you run an almost flat bar, it is not in keeping with tradition or something.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
yeah.. i have a large so idk if its me or if that year Commy ran somewhat smallish.. and i only have one spacer (1/8th) under my stem

Basic geometry of your stem make one working-angle that's of one w/ a rise. Even though there's no way to flip your stem to have moments be at the same level as your fork Crown or the TT, you & the bike have to assume your stem rise as a constant effect, and it is not one which tracks on the same-plane as your tire contact patch, and your wheel base.

So - basically - your upper body is compensating for perceived weight over the front of the bike when it's really not dialed in.

Try as flat a bar a possible, or see if you can sneak a flipped stem on there, but it looks as though your steerer is fitted for direct mount.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
now THAT is very cool idea/product

im going to try out my friends uncut 35MM easton havoc with 35mm easton DM stem.. yeah i feel like it'll take some time to get the right feel