Quantcast

Red Bull Rampage Finals Results

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Inside you'll find the finals results for Red Bull Rampage 2012...Spoiler Alert!
---

Red Bull Rampage 2012 Finals Results

1. Kurt Sorge
2. Antoine Bizet
3. Logan Binggeli
4. Andreu Lacondeguy
5. Tyler McCaul
6. James Doerfling
7. Cam McCaul
8. Thomas Vanderham
9. Kyle Strait
10. Kyle Norbraten
11. Geoff Gulevich
12. Wil White
13. Nico Vink
14. Brandon Semenuk
15. Martin Soderstrom

We can also say that Brandon Semenuk managed to take top spot in the FMB overall in dramatic fashion, just beating out Martin Soderstrom. Stay tuned for full reports and photo galleries from the event.

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254199&p=3833866#post3833866[/fblike]

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
cam and tmac both got robbed. pretty ridiculous, we thought about turning it off.

On the plus side, there runs were rad and watching them were awesome. And i'd still probably have sorge winning and bizet in second, with cmac 3rd and tmac 4th

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
amazing event as always, but the judging was all over the place.

Sorge deserved the win, but i dont see how he was scoring so much more then everyone else doing the same stuff !?!?!

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
What an event! Huge respect to all attendants!

When I first saw some of the lines last week I hoped that nobody killes himslef. But they all rode that gnarly stuff supersafe!

Judging was a joke.... cmac 7th, semenuk 14th - wtf?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am not saying that bc I am Giant fan ;) but maybe he was doing everything a little bit better than any1 else? Which fructified much better score.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I think Gully got robbed. His entrance to the Icon sender was nuts with a solid upper line + a back flip. Not saying he should have won as Sorge KILLED it but I think it was good for at least 5th... What a scene this year. Must have been 3x the people vs 2010. Props to all the competitors!

ManChild

Chimp
Jul 25, 2012
Judging kinda ruined it, McCaul should of placed way higher considering the risk he took on the gap.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I thought it was surprisingly cool to watch and you could really see how difficult the it was to ride. I could really not care about points and who won all of the riders I saw were great. Have to say White with so little DH riding were very impressive and looks so smooth. My only problem was the quality of the stream no where as nice as the DH WC stream this year but again big props to Red Bull for bringing free quality mtb for free to us.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ I should have said surprisingly too.

Seeing stills of a big hit at Virgin is nothing like seeing the complete runs, with how steep the lines are, crowds right there, etc.

Definitely made me respect the discipline more, unlike a certain movie that was recently released.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Will White was a great advert for getting out and riding what you have instead of pining for the latest kit. His Karpiel is hardly modern my any stretch of imagination and he ****ing rocked the **** out of it.

Congrats to Sorge, he killed it and made the most of the course.

The judging seemed a bit confused to me, Cam stomped the Canyon gap, but got marked down for not using the natural terrain on offer (from what I can understand), similarly the gap to quarter was a complete waste. Why build huge wooden structures for riders to hit if they aren't going to get riders a better score or at least help the riders get some flow for the next obstacle?

My major fault though was after tuning in to see T-mac make his first run I was having to pick my jaw up off the floor. After another 4 or 5 guys doing their runs I was pretty adjusted to the spectacle and seeing guys huck their meat off cliffs and into backflips etc just didn't seem exciting. Whether this was because of the camera work or the way that the course and judging worked (i think mostly camera) but somehow seeing the worlds best freeriders ride balls to the wall and risk life and limb just didn't seem that exciting.

Maybe that moment like Zinks 360 just didnt happen this year. Seeing Cam hit the Canyon Gap and Semenuks transfer was certainly awesome, as were Norbs 360s and a few other moments but there was definitely something lacking.

Maybe all it needed was someone in the commentary booth going nuts and getting stoked, with some better camera work and it would have been incredible.

Can't fault the riders, but some unnecessary wooden structures, shoddy camera work and slack commentators let the event down a bit.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't think it was shoddy camera work so much as the nature of the event - riders built and rode different routes. The course is very wide as well as tall. They would have needed 4x the cameras and 2 more helicopters to get lenses closer to the riders.

Quite different than covering a DH race, for instance.

The camera guys didn't even know which line the riders would take when they dropped. Neither did the spectators.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I found it super entertaining and even my wife, who rides, but has never really done any DH or FR riding was pumped to watch the entire comp. I think the difference was that multiple riders threw down lines that would have won in years gone by....no one stood out because EVERYONE stood out. I would hate to have been judging that...

Agree the Sorge was the winner--he had a great combination of burly upper line with smooth style/tricks on the bottom half and milked in a bunch of big hits into one run. The rest was debatable. I personally found Norbs and the McCauls runs underrated. I wonder how much the judges could actually see compared to us with helicopters and multiple cams. Someone was saying the judges had to physically run from observation point to observation point during each run?

Anyway, super fun to watch. Props to Redbull for a great stream, amazing footage and free entertainment.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I think a lot of people don't fully understand how gnarly the front face of the mountain is. Even spectators on site can't grasp it as they are not allowed up there.

Take it from someone who was sitting "in it". The routes that Sorge, Dorfling, Semunuk, etc took down the front face were ridiculous.

Honestly I think the canyon gap is crazy but to get there you spend a lot of time traversing while other riders are hitting the front fall line.

The judges walk the riders selected routes, they are aware all the elements you can't see from your tv or stood at the bottom.

Sorge crushed the steep top section with speed and style and tricked everything at the bottom without any hesitation or loss of flow.

Fair play to the winner that was a great run.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What goes on out there is just off the hook and you can get desensitized watching it. Plus, the best riders make ridiculous stuff look easy. (I find it helpful to watch footage of me and my bros for some perspective. :p ) But yeah seems like there wasn't really that one game-changer moment like Zink's three from 2010.

As for the judging, gotta be a tough gig at this event. Any freeride/slopestyle comp will be subjective, but here you have people mixing up pre-built features with their own lines, so direct comparisons top to bottom are pretty much impossible.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Have to say White with so little DH riding were very impressive and looks so smooth.
Wil White races DH Jr. Ex and now I'd assume Cat 1.
Stoked for the kid, he's accomplished a lot since we first started seeing him around like 6ish years ago.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was referring to him saying he had not ridden much or at all the last 3 or 4 months according what he said in the post interview.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wil White races DH Jr. Ex and now I'd assume Cat 1.
Stoked for the kid, he's accomplished a lot since we first started seeing him around like 6ish years ago.
Will white rocking the hair and good ol jeans and T-shirt...that kids has come so far in such a short period of time....I can't wait to see what he progresses to in the future...

Good to see all the athletes out there getting it done, wish id have made it but great pics and videos..

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'll rephrase part of my comment. The camera work wasn't shoddy in itself, it's just very hard to grasp how hefty some of the lines were from the camera angles given.

Fair play to Redbull though I still saw the event for free, live and in great quality. Cheers for that

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
What he said. Claw, Sorge, dorfling, semenuk, etc lines were beyond imagination...only person who was scored unfairly is Kyle, those 3's were gnarl, and on natural big mountain terrain... Most amazing mtb event i've seen in 20+ years of watching this crap (racing included)....judging was pretty spot on, pics or video do not do any of this justice.
I think a lot of people don't fully understand how gnarly the front face of the mountain is. Even spectators on site can't grasp it as they are not allowed up there.

Take it from someone who was sitting "in it". The routes that Sorge, Dorfling, Semunuk, etc took down the front face were ridiculous.

Honestly I think the canyon gap is crazy but to get there you spend a lot of time traversing while other riders are hitting the front fall line.

The judges walk the riders selected routes, they are aware all the elements you can't see from your tv or stood at the bottom.

Sorge crushed the steep top section with speed and style and tricked everything at the bottom without any hesitation or loss of flow.

Fair play to the winner that was a great run.