Quantcast

Redbull Night Shift at Clemson Nov. 13

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I don't think anyone is actively updating that site. One of the locals I met there a few weeks back said the best source of info is facebook, but I didnt see that get updated either. The collegiate race was the weekend of Sept 25 and I only heard about by word of mouth.... I never saw anything posted anywhere.

Careful what you wish for, right? But I'd consider taking over and updating there site.... I'd have to first understand the specifics and how it all ties together (related to the property, events, etc). Anyone know?

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Got this quote from another site:Basic race format:

-Ride during the day and prove yourself worthy

-Top 24 riders (hand picked) from the day get to race at night with not much more than head lamps. Major stunts will be lit.

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
Just being my pessimistic self. I'm still goin to try and make it to show my support.:wave:
No boubt.. i'll be there to show my support as well. Even if i can't DH at the moment, i'm sure it will be one hell of a party.....well as long as the old fat redneck guy does'nt show up at the after-party campsite again. Boy was he mad :rofl:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
The Night Shift lacked a lot of pre-race details last year as well, but it turned out to be a very very well run event. Shaums March was supposed to pick who would be racing at night, but he decided to let all of us race, if we chose to. Unless there are different people involved this year, I'm sure it will be another great event and they will be sure to take care of anyone that shows up.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC

from the RedBull site

Clemson Freeride Downhill Trails hosts a mountain bike competition under the moonlight, putting the competitors' skills to the ultimate test.

On a normal race day, downhill mountain biking will beat down the body and bike as they speed through rock gardens and soar on 20’ jumps. It will also break a racer down mentally as they battle not only the clock, but the other competitors. Now, imagine facing of that without a keen sense of sight.

Red Bull Night Shift will challenge athletes to ride with only headlamps and the ambient light of the moon and stars above. One must rely on their body and mind to be completely in tune with their surroundings and know what to expect on this unpredictable terrain. Once the sun goes down on November 13, the area’s best riders will take to the Clemson Freeride Downhill Trail for a one-of-a-kind race to the finish line.

WHO:

Red Bull Night Shift will consist of the best 24 collegiate downhill mountain bikers in the region – all of whom will be hand selected to compete by professional downhill rider, Shaums March. All contending riders will need to qualify for the night competition earlier that day to determine if they’re ready to take on the course with only their head lamp to guide them.

WHEN:

Saturday, November 13
4:00 pm-6:00 pm Qualifying Rounds
Competition begins at sundown (approximately 8:00 pm)

Open ride sessions for anyone -- from 10 am leading up to the qualifying rounds at 4 pm

WHERE:

Clemson Freeride Downhill Course
Old Seneca Road, Clemson, SC
www.clemsonfreeride.com/directions

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
why only collegiate riders? seems to me that including that stipulation does nothing but promote the "elitist" mentality that keeps some people from attending such events

woolin

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
I agree why limit your field and your audience. I was going to show up not now.

Last edited:

woolin

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
Does the college of hard knocks count? Open ride sessions open to anybody who shows up?

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Shaums March was supposed to pick who would be racing at night, but he decided to let all of us race, if we chose to.
So "all of us" is collegiate only?

I'll go to watch, it's only a 45 min drive for me. Plus my wife has never been to any DH race (even though I wouldn't classify CFR as DH... not knocking it, I like the place).

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
the problem is that there is no guarantee to race....if shaums "decides" to let us race cool..but what if he doesn't? i'll just come down to ride for a day some other time and save some $$. i was hoping to test out my new lights on a fast track before the icycle...oh well.

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
little too much uncertainty for me to justify a 10 hr drive..... bummer, because that wall ride looks like fun.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
My choice has been made for me as well. Won't drive that far for a "maybe". Unless I'm not understanding, does "collegiate only" mean practice as well as the race? Or can anyone ride until the race? Was only coming to ride a little in the morning/afternoon and watch/drink/get loud at night.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
My choice has been made for me as well. Won't drive that far for a "maybe". Unless I'm not understanding, does "collegiate only" mean practice as well as the race? Or can anyone ride until the race? Was only coming to ride a little in the morning/afternoon and watch/drink/get loud at night.
Anyone can ride all day up untill the race from what Clay at Red Bull told me. It will stay as a Collegiate race only for the event.

Come out and have some fun on the jumps!!!!

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You bringing the good luck panties for the winner?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
A few of us went out to see what was new to the Clemson DH course. Have to say the boys have been hard at work out there. The new wall ride is solid!!! Also the new gap line after the Wall ride. A few shots.

The new Gap take off: Its about 20ft:

Yes, the new Wall is BIG!!!! Yes Joe is Back!!!!!! Good to ride with you again Bro!!!!:

Jay (Waterdogs) hitting the Wall:

Me hitting the big table top jump:

Had a great time!!!!

Cecil

Last edited: