Quantcast

Redishing wheel Q

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I got a Wheel (AC Aircooler and 321) for my Rotec from a buddy who had it on his KHS Dominatrax. The wheel needs to be redished as my swingarm also accomidates a floating brake mechanism. I jsut measured real quick and it looks to have about an inch on oneside fo the swing arm and .6 of an inch onthe other.

Can I extend one side and pull the other in equal turns ans still have a tensioned wheel? If i need to move the rim twoards the non-drive side can I back out the drive side 1 turn, and pull in the brake side by 1 turn until the rim is inbetween the swingarm without hurting the wheel?

I generally stay away from building and tensioning wheels my self but I have touched up slight wobbles before.

Just looking for some experienced hands to tell me if I am carefull that I won't totally bugger this thing up ;)

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah you can but you may run into spoke length issues. Sounds like you only need to adjust it about 1/4" so it will probably work. Also you may have to relace it completely if the nipples have locktite on them, cause they will probably round off when you try to adjust them.

You do have the right idea though, but after you redish you need to retension (probably needs it anyway if its used), A wheel with uneven tension will destroy itself.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It's iffy because as soon as you start trying to bring the wheel over, you risk putting your rim out of true and you have to keep your eye on high and low spots and after when your wheel is straight and centered, there's no telling if all the spokes are tensioned perfectly. Although with that rim, you do have some margin for error because it's a really strong rim. Do you know how much it would cost to get your shop to fix it for you??

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
What i don't understand is, if the wheel was centered in your buddies frame, why iisn't it centered in yours? Does one of you have an offset asymetrical swingarm? Other than that its easy to move the rim over. Basically you loosen one side of spokes and tighten the oposite side. You'll need a spoke wrench and truing stand, a drop of triflow for each nipple to let them turn smoothly. But the rim should be centered between the drop outs or locknuts on the axle. Unless the frame is offset which I have not heard of. Its not an iffy process at all. The tension will be even if the rim is flat and round to begin with and is still flat and round when you finish. After your done you might want to go to a shop and have the tension checked. You can get a pretty good idea by flexing the spokes by hand and doing the same to a similar wheel that you know is correct.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by oldfart
What i don't understand is, if the wheel was centered in your buddies frame, why iisn't it centered in yours? Does one of you have an offset asymetrical swingarm? Other than that its easy to move the rim over. Basically you loosen one side of spokes and tighten the oposite side. You'll need a spoke wrench and truing stand, a drop of triflow for each nipple to let them turn smoothly. But the rim should be centered between the drop outs or locknuts on the axle. Unless the frame is offset which I have not heard of. Its not an iffy process at all. The tension will be even if the rim is flat and round to begin with and is still flat and round when you finish. After your done you might want to go to a shop and have the tension checked. You can get a pretty good idea by flexing the spokes by hand and doing the same to a similar wheel that you know is correct.
I have a floating brake onthe nondrive side that takes a fair amount of room

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
and here is the otherside.....does this help explain why?

I think the swingarm is symetrical, but with the added room onthe brake side the rim needs to come over onthe hub to center it in the swingarm

Attachments

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yeah I think it shouldn't be a problem. As long as its not too far for the spoke length you have. Take the rim tape off to make sure the spokes don't extend too far past the nipple end and give you flats. If you both have symmetrical swingarms though, that rim should be centered on both swingarms. You might want to check that wheel out with a dishing tool, and maybe measure the frames for something bent.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Yeah I think it shouldn't be a problem. As long as its not too far for the spoke length you have. Take the rim tape off to make sure the spokes don't extend too far past the nipple end and give you flats. If you both have symmetrical swingarms though, that rim should be centered on both swingarms. You might want to check that wheel out with a dishing tool, and maybe measure the frames for something bent.
OK I explained this to someone before (not in this thread).......both are symetrical. the Rotec is wider(say 170mm instead of 150mm wide) by the width of the floater. When installing the floater it places the hub to the drive side hence needing the redish by the distance of half of the floater space ideally......I had it redished at a bike shop......figured I would have it done right teh first time no problem

Good eye on the spokes they were fine afterwords......

Thanks

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
That has happened to me many times, I go to swap out a rear wheel to a new frame and its not centered properly. It has even happened to my own bike.