Quantcast

Refurbing old firearms?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Anyone here have any experience with having an old gun brought back to life? Im sure it's a relatively expensive proposition, but I came into an old shotgun that needs a bit of TLC.

I got this gun recently from my father, who got it from his father when he was younger. It's a Model 520, Riverside Arms 12 gauge.

I have done some researching, and found that these were produced from 1912 to about 1930, but that there's no way to tell what year a particular gun was produced. I've also been seeing them sold for around $300, which is not a lot, but, seeing as this gun has been in my family for such a long time, frankly, I believe it deserves to be taken out and used often.
Im going trap shooting saturday, but this thing needs some work.

As you can see there is a bolt through the stock (taped over), and much of the metal is discolored.

But mechanically it seems fairly sound.

As you can see in the pic below, the lower part of the slide assembly has been repaired (welded) before. It does not slide very smoothly, but is functional.

This is the only information printed on the gun at all. No serial number or anything like that.

So my question is, anyone ever had an old gun, uh "re-blued" I guess, and purchased a new stock? Do you think that part that has been welded could be repaired better, and would parts even be available for something like this?
Would a gun smith scoff at the notion of these type of repairs on a gun that technically isnt worth all that much?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'd be careful firing an old gun that has suspect repairs. As far as condition - there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your gun that is worth fixing, all fixed up and it loses a good deal of the family history that made it what it is.

Safeway Select frozen Mac n Cheese the best!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Uhm, ask around after a competent gunsmith and ask her rather than soliciting abuse and bad advice on the intarwebz.
Well, there is the outside chance that someone with knowledge on the subject might be helpful, y'know.

Plus I just wanted to show off my cool ass old gun.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'd be careful firing an old gun that has suspect repairs. As far as condition - there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your gun that is worth fixing, all fixed up and it loses a good deal of the family history that made it what it is.

Safeway Select frozen Mac n Cheese the best!

Well the stock kind of rattles around on there, so at a minimum that needs to be swapped out, so it doesnt shatter when Im firing the thing. All kinds of cracks in it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd get it in good working order but leave the cosmetic aging. It is an 'old' family gun not a new one.

nate_vt

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
that does look like a sweet old firearm! Congrats! I have fixed up a few diffrent firearms before and even still its hard to say if its "worth it". Its really your call because of it being in your family so long. It would probably be worth taking to a gunsmith to see what they can do/how much it might cost. He or she would most likely understand that you want to fix it up for more reasons then money! In the meantime, DON'T shoot it! I'm sure you know this already, but old guns like that are known to do strange things after sitting around for years.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've got my grandfather's old bolt action .22 that i'd like to have restored. my brother had it and it was left outside for a week or so and the rust has pitted the outside of the barrel. i've started stripping the wood stock so that i can re-stain it but i have no idea how to fix the pitting on the barrel...any suggestions?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
The pitting is pretty much permanent. Surface rust can be removed really easily but once the metal is pitted, what you see is what you get. You can minimize the appearance of pitting by keeping it clean and oiled.

zuohuijuan

Chimp
Aug 11, 2010
The very first thing you do when confronted with such a situation is to make sure the rifle is unloaded. Maybe this goes without saying, but it never hurts to reiterate. This means ensuring not only that there is no cartridge in the chamber but none in the tubular magazine either. louis vuitton handbagsMore than once, working the lever has produced nothing the first three or four times, then it has jarred a cartridge loose and suddenly an unloaded rifle has become a loaded one. Such are the surprises.louis vuitton :weee:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I'd get one for the wife (hand bag not shotgun). Then maybe, just maybe, I can go back to sleeping in the bedroom.