Quantcast

"religion of video tele-conferencing" my ass

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Rushdie Video Talk Blocked From India Book Festival
Novelist Salman Rushdie was denied permission to address the Jaipur Literature Festival through a video link, festival organizers said Tuesday just before the event, citing security concerns.

Worries mounted throughout the day—the last of the five-day festival—that planned protests over the appearance of Mr. Rushdie would turn violent. The author is reviled among many Indian Muslims for his 1988 novel "The Satanic Verses," which they consider blasphemous.
alternate title: "Cisco Narrowly Avoids Fatwa"

Je3Re3My

Chimp
Nov 21, 2011
I can't get behind the Gods, who are more vengeful, angry, and dangerous if you don't believe in them!

-Captain Kirk

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The craziest thing is that Satanic Verses is NOT an offensive book. Like a million other artsy novels it builds off a religious story; it's just that when you pick Islam to riff off of, people start trying to kill you.

He's not even commenting on Islam in any way, IMHO...it's just that he invents an alternate history of Mohammed. Done in the service of literature, not religion, even.

India's ideas concerning free speech don't match that of most developed countries. In fact, I censored what I was going to write here, given how they're scanning the Internet looking for content critical of the government.

Coincidentally, I'm going to Rajastan next week, but thankfully just to ride my motorcycle around.