Quantcast

Removing cranks help needed

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Normally to remove an XTR crank I'd take my standard park crank puller, a 5p piece (just fits inside the crank's splines and crank it up. It seems the previous owner of this bike has at some point neglected to use the washer when tightening his crank bolts up, and as such the crank spline material has been "squidged" inwards meaning the 5p doesn't fit. The chances of me finding something that does fit perfectly are slim-none, how should I get the crank off? Current plan is to ride around without the bolts in for a few minutes....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by Acadian
doesn't XTR's all have self extracting bolts? I know every single pair I owned had..
LMFAO - VERY good point, hell I had to remove the extractors to undo the bolts!!

It's been a LONG time since I did any bike maintenance work - I did feel I was missing something stupid - the 5p trick is what I use on ISIS cranks, not XTR - DOH!!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Battery terminal puller... get one from local autoshop (make sure it's big enough first).

It grabs the cranks on the outside instead of in the thread area. You'll probably need to put a small washer on the BB shell so taht you don't jam it in there...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Gear puller would work too. Almost the same as a terminal puller accept its adjustable.

I got a cheap one from the autoparts store. I actually used it for pulling a gear once too.

If the back of the crank arm is at an angle (i think they are on XTR), you can put a large hose clamp around the gear puller to keep the adjustable arms from slipping off. It's ghetto, but it works great.

That's all besides the point since you figured out they have self-extracting bolts:rolleyes: