Quantcast

Removing painted (?) graphics from anodized house brand bars?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have two sets of specialized bars that came on complete bikes, and are wide enough, and functionally great for my AM bike. However, the graphics are butt ugly IMO- Id much rather have all black bars. Has anyone removed these painted/ decal/ whatever-they-are graphics from anodized bars? They're the shot peened anodized finish which makes simply scraping out of the question. I want the anodizing to stay intact. Any help would be appreciated before I melt my anodizing/ waste my money trying to get these dumb graphics off of my bars.
And yeah, I'm kinda bored :D

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
I Have never tried to apply paint stripper or chemical stripper to anything anodized. If you have some or have about ten bones to spend I would try that. Start first on a small area that the grip will cover to see if it kills the anodizing too.

You could also try lacquer thinner, acetone, etc... A lot of times the graphics are a 1K product and will "wipe" off with lacquer etc... But again try on the under grip area first just to make sure.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Interesting Im after a silver hope hub and someone on another forum just told me to buy any colour and use caustic soda to get the anodizing off, he did a year or so ago and its still perfect.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Ronny g thanks for the tips. I'll start small, under the grips. Anyone had success with this before I go
For it?
Also- dbozman, good to know paint stripper won't destroy the anodizing- thanks man
I only have experience stripping chromoly bmx frames!

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Soda blast don't sand blast it will pit the ali and make for a **** finish. Theres another smooth blasting media that actually stripes the ali and seals it so you you don't even need to prime it if your to respray

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If they are painted you should be able to rub it off with some fine wet/dry paper or possibly even a dish scourer(not a metal one). If is laser etched all you can do is paint it or try and rub something like Forever Black or similar on the etched bit to try and get it to match the rest of the bars.

I wanted to do the same to my Vanderham bars, the Pro symbol is the ugliest thing this side of a Pivot frames paint work.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
If the graphics are anything like the KORE bars that came on my tr450 you can just drive really fast in the rain with your bike on a roofrack and the graphics will come off.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There's an "all natural" paint stripper that worked really poorly on my sunday. It was too gentle. BUT that might be good if you don't want anything too aggressive. It came in a green can with an orange top.

Otherwise, the standard **** from home depot nuked the powdercoat right off my sunday. It left the bondo there though.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I'm telling you tards, spray on foaming oven cleaner, AKA: Easy-Off Oven cleaner. Spray in on said part, let it soak, wipe it off.
Check the once blue knobs from my DHX5.0, do you guys see any ano on them anymore?